Windows XP Home Start Up Spash Screen

Hi
I have a question and I am not even sure what I should be searching under to
find the answer.

What does it mean when the scrolling bar on the Windows XP startup page is
scrolling in blue - not in green?

I have seen this happen both on my computer (and I subsequently had Windows
corrupt in such a way as to leave me no access) and my neighbor's computer
which just cost her $200 to repair.

Is this a warning that something bad is going to occur very soon?

Thanks
11 answers Last reply
More about windows home start spash screen

    Tina wrote:
    > Hi
    > I have a question and I am not even sure what I should be
    > searching under to find the answer.
    >
    > What does it mean when the scrolling bar on the Windows XP
    > startup page is scrolling in blue - not in green?
    >
    > I have seen this happen both on my computer (and I
    > subsequently had Windows corrupt in such a way as to leave
    > me no access) and my neighbor's computer which just cost her
    > $200 to repair.
    >
    > Is this a warning that something bad is going to occur very
    > soon?
    >
    > Thanks

    It means that Service Pack 2 has been installed on that
    computer.

    Prior to SP2, Windows XP Pro and Windows XP Home had different
    splash screens. The one for Pro showed the name of the
    operating system, "Windows XP Professional" with a blue
    progress bar. XP Home displayed the name "Windows XP Home
    Edition" with a green bar. Once Service Pack 2 is installed,
    all versions of XP show the same splash screen. The version
    name is no longer displayed and the progress bar is blue.

    It's not a warning of anything. It may mean that the computers
    weren't properly prepared to have SP2 installed.

    Windows XP SP2 FAQ's and Best Practices
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/sp2faq.htm

    Nepatsfan

    Sorry - that is not what it means at all - I don't have SP 2 on my machine -
    and never did.

    "Nepatsfan" wrote:

    > Tina wrote:
    > > Hi
    > > I have a question and I am not even sure what I should be
    > > searching under to find the answer.
    > >
    > > What does it mean when the scrolling bar on the Windows XP
    > > startup page is scrolling in blue - not in green?
    > >
    > > I have seen this happen both on my computer (and I
    > > subsequently had Windows corrupt in such a way as to leave
    > > me no access) and my neighbor's computer which just cost her
    > > $200 to repair.
    > >
    > > Is this a warning that something bad is going to occur very
    > > soon?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    >
    > It means that Service Pack 2 has been installed on that
    > computer.
    >
    > Prior to SP2, Windows XP Pro and Windows XP Home had different
    > splash screens. The one for Pro showed the name of the
    > operating system, "Windows XP Professional" with a blue
    > progress bar. XP Home displayed the name "Windows XP Home
    > Edition" with a green bar. Once Service Pack 2 is installed,
    > all versions of XP show the same splash screen. The version
    > name is no longer displayed and the progress bar is blue.
    >
    > It's not a warning of anything. It may mean that the computers
    > weren't properly prepared to have SP2 installed.
    >
    > Windows XP SP2 FAQ's and Best Practices
    > http://aumha.org/win5/a/sp2faq.htm
    >
    > Nepatsfan

    Also the splash screen is the same one it had from day one. It is just the
    color of the scroll bar that seemed to change - right before a major problem
    occurred - on two machines. I know for a fact my machine (the one that had XP
    corrupt to the extent of losing the drive) does not have SP2 installed and
    never did - and the scroll had been green until about a week before the major
    problem. My neighbors machine lasted a few days before the problem happened.

    Nothing at all to do with SP2

    "Nepatsfan" wrote:

    > Tina wrote:
    > > Hi
    > > I have a question and I am not even sure what I should be
    > > searching under to find the answer.
    > >
    > > What does it mean when the scrolling bar on the Windows XP
    > > startup page is scrolling in blue - not in green?
    > >
    > > I have seen this happen both on my computer (and I
    > > subsequently had Windows corrupt in such a way as to leave
    > > me no access) and my neighbor's computer which just cost her
    > > $200 to repair.
    > >
    > > Is this a warning that something bad is going to occur very
    > > soon?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    >
    > It means that Service Pack 2 has been installed on that
    > computer.
    >
    > Prior to SP2, Windows XP Pro and Windows XP Home had different
    > splash screens. The one for Pro showed the name of the
    > operating system, "Windows XP Professional" with a blue
    > progress bar. XP Home displayed the name "Windows XP Home
    > Edition" with a green bar. Once Service Pack 2 is installed,
    > all versions of XP show the same splash screen. The version
    > name is no longer displayed and the progress bar is blue.
    >
    > It's not a warning of anything. It may mean that the computers
    > weren't properly prepared to have SP2 installed.
    >
    > Windows XP SP2 FAQ's and Best Practices
    > http://aumha.org/win5/a/sp2faq.htm
    >
    > Nepatsfan

    Just a suggestion, when you post a question to the newsgroups,
    you might want to mention the fact that you haven't installed
    SP2 on your system. It will help the people trying to provide a
    solution, and more importantly it will give you the most
    accurate answer.

    Since you haven't installed SP2, the only other possibility I
    can think of is that this file,
    C:\Windows\System32\ntoskrnl.exe, somehow became corrupted.
    Usually when this happens the system won't boot and you'll see
    an error message displayed. Here are a few articles which
    discuss replacing the corrupt file:

    How Do I Rectify A Missing or Corrupt Ntoskrnl Error
    http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_rectify_a_missing_or_co1.htm

    Error Message: Windows Could Not Start Because of a Computer
    Disk Hardware Configuration Problem
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314477

    FYI, Here's the original Windows XP Home Edition splash screen
    (note
    the green progress bar):
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/images/XP%20Home%20Setup%20Graphic/OO.gif

    Here's the original Windows XP Professional Edition splash
    screen (note the blue progress bar):
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/images/XP%20Pro%20Setup%20Graphic/OO.gif

    Here's the splash screen that both versions display when
    Service Pack 2 is installed:
    http://www.winxpsolution.com/images%5Cxpsp2%5C13.jpg

    Nepatsfan

    Tina wrote:
    > Also the splash screen is the same one it had from day one.
    > It is just the color of the scroll bar that seemed to change
    > - right before a major problem occurred - on two machines. I
    > know for a fact my machine (the one that had XP corrupt to
    > the extent of losing the drive) does not have SP2 installed
    > and never did - and the scroll had been green until about a
    > week before the major problem. My neighbors machine lasted a
    > few days before the problem happened.
    >
    > Nothing at all to do with SP2
    >
    > "Nepatsfan" wrote:
    >
    >> Tina wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>> I have a question and I am not even sure what I should be
    >>> searching under to find the answer.
    >>>
    >>> What does it mean when the scrolling bar on the Windows XP
    >>> startup page is scrolling in blue - not in green?
    >>>
    >>> I have seen this happen both on my computer (and I
    >>> subsequently had Windows corrupt in such a way as to leave
    >>> me no access) and my neighbor's computer which just cost
    >>> her $200 to repair.
    >>>
    >>> Is this a warning that something bad is going to occur very
    >>> soon?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>
    >> It means that Service Pack 2 has been installed on that
    >> computer.
    >>
    >> Prior to SP2, Windows XP Pro and Windows XP Home had
    >> different splash screens. The one for Pro showed the name
    >> of the operating system, "Windows XP Professional" with a
    >> blue progress bar. XP Home displayed the name "Windows XP
    >> Home Edition" with a green bar. Once Service Pack 2 is
    >> installed, all versions of XP show the same splash screen.
    >> The version name is no longer displayed and the progress
    >> bar is blue.
    >>
    >> It's not a warning of anything. It may mean that the
    >> computers weren't properly prepared to have SP2 installed.
    >>
    >> Windows XP SP2 FAQ's and Best Practices
    >> http://aumha.org/win5/a/sp2faq.htm
    >>
    >> Nepatsfan

    Sorry this was the first time I posted....

    Anyway, Windows is in no shape to be able to fix. It started asking for a
    password and I had none set up - and my ID always logged on as administrator.

    I tried a repair and it got stuck half way and needed a file (don't recall
    which). So now I have XP in the middle of a repair.

    I am hoping beyond hope that some great techie can get to the disk through
    DOS and get the stuff off there. I have all my stuff saved on the root drive
    - not in Windows. So I can eventually reformat the hard drive.

    I have it set up right now as a slave drive and the computer doesn't see
    it....
    Tina

    "Nepatsfan" wrote:

    > Just a suggestion, when you post a question to the newsgroups,
    > you might want to mention the fact that you haven't installed
    > SP2 on your system. It will help the people trying to provide a
    > solution, and more importantly it will give you the most
    > accurate answer.
    >
    > Since you haven't installed SP2, the only other possibility I
    > can think of is that this file,
    > C:\Windows\System32\ntoskrnl.exe, somehow became corrupted.
    > Usually when this happens the system won't boot and you'll see
    > an error message displayed. Here are a few articles which
    > discuss replacing the corrupt file:
    >
    > How Do I Rectify A Missing or Corrupt Ntoskrnl Error
    > http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_rectify_a_missing_or_co1.htm
    >
    > Error Message: Windows Could Not Start Because of a Computer
    > Disk Hardware Configuration Problem
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314477
    >
    > FYI, Here's the original Windows XP Home Edition splash screen
    > (note
    > the green progress bar):
    > http://www.theeldergeek.com/images/XP%20Home%20Setup%20Graphic/OO.gif
    >
    > Here's the original Windows XP Professional Edition splash
    > screen (note the blue progress bar):
    > http://www.theeldergeek.com/images/XP%20Pro%20Setup%20Graphic/OO.gif
    >
    > Here's the splash screen that both versions display when
    > Service Pack 2 is installed:
    > http://www.winxpsolution.com/images%5Cxpsp2%5C13.jpg
    >

    > Nepatsfan
    >
    > Tina wrote:
    > > Also the splash screen is the same one it had from day one.
    > > It is just the color of the scroll bar that seemed to change
    > > - right before a major problem occurred - on two machines. I
    > > know for a fact my machine (the one that had XP corrupt to
    > > the extent of losing the drive) does not have SP2 installed
    > > and never did - and the scroll had been green until about a
    > > week before the major problem. My neighbors machine lasted a
    > > few days before the problem happened.
    > >
    > > Nothing at all to do with SP2

    > >> It means that Service Pack 2 has been installed on that
    > >> computer.
    > >>
    > >> Prior to SP2, Windows XP Pro and Windows XP Home had
    > >> different splash screens. The one for Pro showed the name
    > >> of the operating system, "Windows XP Professional" with a
    > >> blue progress bar. XP Home displayed the name "Windows XP
    > >> Home Edition" with a green bar. Once Service Pack 2 is
    > >> installed, all versions of XP show the same splash screen.
    > >> The version name is no longer displayed and the progress
    > >> bar is blue.
    > >>
    > >> It's not a warning of anything. It may mean that the
    > >> computers weren't properly prepared to have SP2 installed.
    > >>
    > >> Windows XP SP2 FAQ's and Best Practices
    > >> http://aumha.org/win5/a/sp2faq.htm
    > >>
    > >> Nepatsfan

    If you've made up your mind to have someone fix this problem
    for you then you don't need to read the rest of this response.
    If you're looking for some things you can try yourself then
    read on.

    Do you have the jumpers on the hard drives set correctly? Some
    drives are fine with the Master/Slave configuration while
    others prefer both set to Cable Select. Check with your HD
    manufacturer for the proper procedure.

    If the jumpers are OK, are the drives showing up in the BIOS?
    When the computer first boots, have you entered Setup to make
    sure that both hard drives are listed.

    Most hard drive manufacturers provide a diagnostic utility
    which can be put on a boot floppy to check the drive for
    errors. It may turn out that the drive is trashed.

    If the machine you've put the old drive into is running Windows
    XP or 2000, look in the Disk Management section of Computer
    Management and see if the slave drive is listed. Make a note of
    its status. It should say Online.

    Keep in mind that even if you are able to access the old drive
    from within XP, you're probably going to have to take ownership
    of any files you want to recover. Take a look here for the
    procedure:

    "Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881

    If I had your machine in front of me, here's what I would do.
    I'd put the drive back in the original computer. I'd then run
    the drive manufacturer's diagnostic utility. If the drive
    checked out OK, I'd boot from an XP installation CD, enter the
    Recovery Console and run chkdsk /r. Depending on the results
    I'd either retry the repair installation with an XP CD that was
    in perfect condition (scratches or smudges will cause missing
    file errors) or I'd boot with a live Linux cd such as Knoppix
    and try to recover data files.

    Good luck

    Nepatsfan

    Tina wrote:
    > Sorry this was the first time I posted....
    >
    > Anyway, Windows is in no shape to be able to fix. It started
    > asking for a password and I had none set up - and my ID
    > always logged on as administrator.
    >
    > I tried a repair and it got stuck half way and needed a file
    > (don't recall which). So now I have XP in the middle of a
    > repair.
    >
    > I am hoping beyond hope that some great techie can get to
    > the disk through DOS and get the stuff off there. I have all
    > my stuff saved on the root drive - not in Windows. So I can
    > eventually reformat the hard drive.
    >
    > I have it set up right now as a slave drive and the computer
    > doesn't see it....
    > Tina
    >
    > "Nepatsfan" wrote:
    >
    >> Just a suggestion, when you post a question to the
    >> newsgroups, you might want to mention the fact that you
    >> haven't installed SP2 on your system. It will help the
    >> people trying to provide a solution, and more importantly
    >> it will give you the most accurate answer.
    >>
    >> Since you haven't installed SP2, the only other possibility
    >> I can think of is that this file,
    >> C:\Windows\System32\ntoskrnl.exe, somehow became corrupted.
    >> Usually when this happens the system won't boot and you'll
    >> see an error message displayed. Here are a few articles
    >> which discuss replacing the corrupt file:
    >>
    >> How Do I Rectify A Missing or Corrupt Ntoskrnl Error
    >> http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_rectify_a_missing_or_co1.htm
    >>
    >> Error Message: Windows Could Not Start Because of a Computer
    >> Disk Hardware Configuration Problem
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314477
    >>
    >> FYI, Here's the original Windows XP Home Edition splash
    >> screen (note
    >> the green progress bar):
    >> http://www.theeldergeek.com/images/XP%20Home%20Setup%20Graphic/OO.gif
    >>
    >> Here's the original Windows XP Professional Edition splash
    >> screen (note the blue progress bar):
    >> http://www.theeldergeek.com/images/XP%20Pro%20Setup%20Graphic/OO.gif
    >>
    >> Here's the splash screen that both versions display when
    >> Service Pack 2 is installed:
    >> http://www.winxpsolution.com/images%5Cxpsp2%5C13.jpg
    >>

    >> Nepatsfan
    >>
    >> Tina wrote:
    >>> Also the splash screen is the same one it had from day one.
    >>> It is just the color of the scroll bar that seemed to
    >>> change - right before a major problem occurred - on two
    >>> machines. I know for a fact my machine (the one that had
    >>> XP corrupt to the extent of losing the drive) does not
    >>> have SP2 installed and never did - and the scroll had been
    >>> green until about a week before the major problem. My
    >>> neighbors machine lasted a few days before the problem
    >>> happened.
    >>>
    >>> Nothing at all to do with SP2

    The way it sounds I would like this machine to be in front of you too.

    I honestly don't know if the jumper cables / switches are correct. The
    original cable that was in the computer was not able to connect to both
    drives (not enough space between connectors) so I bought one that comes off a
    card. The card/cable manufacturer indicated that to work the drive can't have
    the switches to slave. He said it would be fine.... the computer recognized
    the card and cable - but not what was attached to it.

    I have a feeling that to save my stuff - it will have to be through DOS -
    and I can't do that. I can't do most of what you mentioned and to tell you
    the truth I am so fed up with it I am willing to pay to have someone else
    deal with it. The only big problem with that - is the loss of the computer
    for who knows how long.

    Maybe the repair place rents laptops??

    "Nepatsfan" wrote:

> [...]
    > >> Usually when this happens the system won't boot and you'll
    > >> see an error message displayed. Here are a few articles
    > >> which discuss replacing the corrupt file:
    > >>
    > >> How Do I Rectify A Missing or Corrupt Ntoskrnl Error
    > >> http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_rectify_a_missing_or_co1.htm
    > >>
    > >> Error Message: Windows Could Not Start Because of a Computer
    > >> Disk Hardware Configuration Problem
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314477
    > >>
    > >> FYI, Here's the original Windows XP Home Edition splash
    > >> screen (note
    > >> the green progress bar):
    > >> http://www.theeldergeek.com/images/XP%20Home%20Setup%20Graphic/OO.gif
    > >>
    > >> Here's the original Windows XP Professional Edition splash
    > >> screen (note the blue progress bar):
    > >> http://www.theeldergeek.com/images/XP%20Pro%20Setup%20Graphic/OO.gif
    > >>
    > >> Here's the splash screen that both versions display when

    When you take your machine in for repairs make a point of
    emphasizing the importance of saving your files. I've heard too
    many horror stories from people who took a computer in to be
    fixed and the tech simply formatted the hard drive and
    reinstalled the operating system.

    Good luck

    Nepatsfan

    Tina wrote:
> [...]
    >> smudges will cause missing file errors) or I'd boot with a
    >> live Linux cd such as Knoppix and try to recover data files.
    >>
    >> Good luck
    >>
    >> Nepatsfan
    >>
    >> Tina wrote:
    >>> Sorry this was the first time I posted....
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, Windows is in no shape to be able to fix. It
    >>> started asking for a password and I had none set up - and
    >>> my ID always logged on as administrator.
    >>>
    >>> I tried a repair and it got stuck half way and needed a
    >>> file (don't recall which). So now I have XP in the middle
    >>> of a repair.
    >>>
    >>> I am hoping beyond hope that some great techie can get to
    >>> the disk through DOS and get the stuff off there. I have
    >>> all my stuff saved on the root drive - not in Windows. So
    >>> I can eventually reformat the hard drive.
    >>>
    >>> I have it set up right now as a slave drive and the

    Thanks - what I will be bringing it in for only is to recover the files and
    make sure that the drives are hooked up correctly (one should be a slave I
    would imagine) - I can format the drive and reinstall the operating system
    myself - I have done it before.

    "Nepatsfan" wrote:

> [...]
    > >> here for the procedure:
    > >>
    > >> How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421
    > >>
    > >> "Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a
    > >> Folder
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881
    > >>
    > >> If I had your machine in front of me, here's what I would
    > >> do. I'd put the drive back in the original computer. I'd
    > >> then run the drive manufacturer's diagnostic utility. If
    > >> the drive checked out OK, I'd boot from an XP installation
    > >> CD, enter the Recovery Console and run chkdsk /r. Depending
    > >> on the results I'd either retry the repair installation
    > >> with an XP CD that was in perfect condition (scratches or
    > >> smudges will cause missing file errors) or I'd boot with a
    > >> live Linux cd such as Knoppix and try to recover data files.

    In order to recover data, Active@ Undelete can be used. It has good
    recover algorithm, and it never failed to restore any data I lost.
    Nuber One tool imho.
    http://www.active-undelete.com

    How can this be used if the operating system is not accessable? Windows is in
    the middle of a repair and needs a file to continue - so as far as the hard
    drive is concerned windows is not there. I believe the only thing that can be
    done is to boot to the C drive on start up. At that point I am lost. I know
    virtually nothing about DOS. I do know for a fact though, that none of my
    important files are stored in windows - it is all on the root drive.
    Tina

    "dagdabrona@hotmail.com" wrote:

    > In order to recover data, Active@ Undelete can be used. It has good
    > recover algorithm, and it never failed to restore any data I lost.
    > Nuber One tool imho.
    > http://www.active-undelete.com

Computers Windows XP