tina

Hi
I have a question and I am not even sure what I should be searching under to
find the answer.

What does it mean when the scrolling bar on the Windows XP startup page is
scrolling in blue - not in green?

I have seen this happen both on my computer (and I subsequently had Windows
corrupt in such a way as to leave me no access) and my neighbor's computer
which just cost her $200 to repair.

Is this a warning that something bad is going to occur very soon?

Thanks

Tina wrote:
> Hi
> I have a question and I am not even sure what I should be
> searching under to find the answer.
>
> What does it mean when the scrolling bar on the Windows XP
> startup page is scrolling in blue - not in green?
>
> I have seen this happen both on my computer (and I
> subsequently had Windows corrupt in such a way as to leave
> me no access) and my neighbor's computer which just cost her
> $200 to repair.
>
> Is this a warning that something bad is going to occur very
> soon?
>
> Thanks

It means that Service Pack 2 has been installed on that
computer.

Prior to SP2, Windows XP Pro and Windows XP Home had different
splash screens. The one for Pro showed the name of the
operating system, "Windows XP Professional" with a blue
progress bar. XP Home displayed the name "Windows XP Home
Edition" with a green bar. Once Service Pack 2 is installed,
all versions of XP show the same splash screen. The version
name is no longer displayed and the progress bar is blue.

It's not a warning of anything. It may mean that the computers
weren't properly prepared to have SP2 installed.

Windows XP SP2 FAQ's and Best Practices
http://aumha.org/win5/a/sp2faq.htm

Nepatsfan

tina

Sorry - that is not what it means at all - I don't have SP 2 on my machine -
and never did.

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> Tina wrote:
> > Hi
> > I have a question and I am not even sure what I should be
> > searching under to find the answer.
> >
> > What does it mean when the scrolling bar on the Windows XP
> > startup page is scrolling in blue - not in green?
> >
> > I have seen this happen both on my computer (and I
> > subsequently had Windows corrupt in such a way as to leave
> > me no access) and my neighbor's computer which just cost her
> > $200 to repair.
> >
> > Is this a warning that something bad is going to occur very
> > soon?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> It means that Service Pack 2 has been installed on that
> computer.
>
> Prior to SP2, Windows XP Pro and Windows XP Home had different
> splash screens. The one for Pro showed the name of the
> operating system, "Windows XP Professional" with a blue
> progress bar. XP Home displayed the name "Windows XP Home
> Edition" with a green bar. Once Service Pack 2 is installed,
> all versions of XP show the same splash screen. The version
> name is no longer displayed and the progress bar is blue.
>
> It's not a warning of anything. It may mean that the computers
> weren't properly prepared to have SP2 installed.
>
> Windows XP SP2 FAQ's and Best Practices
> http://aumha.org/win5/a/sp2faq.htm
>
> Nepatsfan

tina

Also the splash screen is the same one it had from day one. It is just the
color of the scroll bar that seemed to change - right before a major problem
occurred - on two machines. I know for a fact my machine (the one that had XP
corrupt to the extent of losing the drive) does not have SP2 installed and
never did - and the scroll had been green until about a week before the major
problem. My neighbors machine lasted a few days before the problem happened.

Nothing at all to do with SP2

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> Tina wrote:
> > Hi
> > I have a question and I am not even sure what I should be
> > searching under to find the answer.
> >
> > What does it mean when the scrolling bar on the Windows XP
> > startup page is scrolling in blue - not in green?
> >
> > I have seen this happen both on my computer (and I
> > subsequently had Windows corrupt in such a way as to leave
> > me no access) and my neighbor's computer which just cost her
> > $200 to repair.
> >
> > Is this a warning that something bad is going to occur very
> > soon?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> It means that Service Pack 2 has been installed on that
> computer.
>
> Prior to SP2, Windows XP Pro and Windows XP Home had different
> splash screens. The one for Pro showed the name of the
> operating system, "Windows XP Professional" with a blue
> progress bar. XP Home displayed the name "Windows XP Home
> Edition" with a green bar. Once Service Pack 2 is installed,
> all versions of XP show the same splash screen. The version
> name is no longer displayed and the progress bar is blue.
>
> It's not a warning of anything. It may mean that the computers
> weren't properly prepared to have SP2 installed.
>
> Windows XP SP2 FAQ's and Best Practices
> http://aumha.org/win5/a/sp2faq.htm
>
> Nepatsfan

Just a suggestion, when you post a question to the newsgroups,
you might want to mention the fact that you haven't installed
SP2 on your system. It will help the people trying to provide a
solution, and more importantly it will give you the most
accurate answer.

Since you haven't installed SP2, the only other possibility I
can think of is that this file,
C:\Windows\System32\ntoskrnl.exe, somehow became corrupted.
Usually when this happens the system won't boot and you'll see
an error message displayed. Here are a few articles which
discuss replacing the corrupt file:

How Do I Rectify A Missing or Corrupt Ntoskrnl Error
http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_rectify_a_missing_or_co1.htm

Error Message: Windows Could Not Start Because of a Computer
Disk Hardware Configuration Problem
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314477

FYI, Here's the original Windows XP Home Edition splash screen
(note
the green progress bar):
http://www.theeldergeek.com/images/XP%20Home%20Setup%20Graphic/OO.gif

Here's the original Windows XP Professional Edition splash
screen (note the blue progress bar):
http://www.theeldergeek.com/images/XP%20Pro%20Setup%20Graphic/OO.gif

Here's the splash screen that both versions display when
Service Pack 2 is installed:
http://www.winxpsolution.com/images%5Cxpsp2%5C13.jpg

Nepatsfan

Tina wrote:
> Also the splash screen is the same one it had from day one.
> It is just the color of the scroll bar that seemed to change
> - right before a major problem occurred - on two machines. I
> know for a fact my machine (the one that had XP corrupt to
> the extent of losing the drive) does not have SP2 installed
> and never did - and the scroll had been green until about a
> week before the major problem. My neighbors machine lasted a
> few days before the problem happened.
>
> Nothing at all to do with SP2
>
> "Nepatsfan" wrote:
>
>> Tina wrote:
>>> Hi
>>> I have a question and I am not even sure what I should be
>>> searching under to find the answer.
>>>
>>> What does it mean when the scrolling bar on the Windows XP
>>> startup page is scrolling in blue - not in green?
>>>
>>> I have seen this happen both on my computer (and I
>>> subsequently had Windows corrupt in such a way as to leave
>>> me no access) and my neighbor's computer which just cost
>>> her $200 to repair.
>>>
>>> Is this a warning that something bad is going to occur very
>>> soon?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>
>> It means that Service Pack 2 has been installed on that
>> computer.
>>
>> Prior to SP2, Windows XP Pro and Windows XP Home had
>> different splash screens. The one for Pro showed the name
>> of the operating system, "Windows XP Professional" with a
>> blue progress bar. XP Home displayed the name "Windows XP
>> Home Edition" with a green bar. Once Service Pack 2 is
>> installed, all versions of XP show the same splash screen.
>> The version name is no longer displayed and the progress
>> bar is blue.
>>
>> It's not a warning of anything. It may mean that the
>> computers weren't properly prepared to have SP2 installed.
>>
>> Windows XP SP2 FAQ's and Best Practices
>> http://aumha.org/win5/a/sp2faq.htm
>>
>> Nepatsfan

tina

Sorry this was the first time I posted....

Anyway, Windows is in no shape to be able to fix. It started asking for a
password and I had none set up - and my ID always logged on as administrator.

I tried a repair and it got stuck half way and needed a file (don't recall
which). So now I have XP in the middle of a repair.

I am hoping beyond hope that some great techie can get to the disk through
DOS and get the stuff off there. I have all my stuff saved on the root drive
- not in Windows. So I can eventually reformat the hard drive.

I have it set up right now as a slave drive and the computer doesn't see
it....
Tina

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> Just a suggestion, when you post a question to the newsgroups,
> you might want to mention the fact that you haven't installed
> SP2 on your system. It will help the people trying to provide a
> solution, and more importantly it will give you the most
> accurate answer.
>
> Since you haven't installed SP2, the only other possibility I
> can think of is that this file,
> C:\Windows\System32\ntoskrnl.exe, somehow became corrupted.
> Usually when this happens the system won't boot and you'll see
> an error message displayed. Here are a few articles which
> discuss replacing the corrupt file:
>
> How Do I Rectify A Missing or Corrupt Ntoskrnl Error
> http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_rectify_a_missing_or_co1.htm
>
> Error Message: Windows Could Not Start Because of a Computer
> Disk Hardware Configuration Problem
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314477
>
> FYI, Here's the original Windows XP Home Edition splash screen
> (note
> the green progress bar):
> http://www.theeldergeek.com/images/XP%20Home%20Setup%20Graphic/OO.gif
>
> Here's the original Windows XP Professional Edition splash
> screen (note the blue progress bar):
> http://www.theeldergeek.com/images/XP%20Pro%20Setup%20Graphic/OO.gif
>
> Here's the splash screen that both versions display when
> Service Pack 2 is installed:
> http://www.winxpsolution.com/images%5Cxpsp2%5C13.jpg
>

> Nepatsfan
>
> Tina wrote:
> > Also the splash screen is the same one it had from day one.
> > It is just the color of the scroll bar that seemed to change
> > - right before a major problem occurred - on two machines. I
> > know for a fact my machine (the one that had XP corrupt to
> > the extent of losing the drive) does not have SP2 installed
> > and never did - and the scroll had been green until about a
> > week before the major problem. My neighbors machine lasted a
> > few days before the problem happened.
> >
> > Nothing at all to do with SP2

> >> It means that Service Pack 2 has been installed on that
> >> computer.
> >>
> >> Prior to SP2, Windows XP Pro and Windows XP Home had
> >> different splash screens. The one for Pro showed the name
> >> of the operating system, "Windows XP Professional" with a
> >> blue progress bar. XP Home displayed the name "Windows XP
> >> Home Edition" with a green bar. Once Service Pack 2 is
> >> installed, all versions of XP show the same splash screen.
> >> The version name is no longer displayed and the progress
> >> bar is blue.
> >>
> >> It's not a warning of anything. It may mean that the
> >> computers weren't properly prepared to have SP2 installed.
> >>
> >> Windows XP SP2 FAQ's and Best Practices
> >> http://aumha.org/win5/a/sp2faq.htm
> >>
> >> Nepatsfan

If you've made up your mind to have someone fix this problem
for you then you don't need to read the rest of this response.
If you're looking for some things you can try yourself then
read on.

Do you have the jumpers on the hard drives set correctly? Some
drives are fine with the Master/Slave configuration while
others prefer both set to Cable Select. Check with your HD
manufacturer for the proper procedure.

If the jumpers are OK, are the drives showing up in the BIOS?
When the computer first boots, have you entered Setup to make
sure that both hard drives are listed.

Most hard drive manufacturers provide a diagnostic utility
which can be put on a boot floppy to check the drive for
errors. It may turn out that the drive is trashed.

If the machine you've put the old drive into is running Windows
XP or 2000, look in the Disk Management section of Computer
Management and see if the slave drive is listed. Make a note of
its status. It should say Online.

Keep in mind that even if you are able to access the old drive
from within XP, you're probably going to have to take ownership
of any files you want to recover. Take a look here for the
procedure:

"Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881

If I had your machine in front of me, here's what I would do.
I'd put the drive back in the original computer. I'd then run
the drive manufacturer's diagnostic utility. If the drive
checked out OK, I'd boot from an XP installation CD, enter the
Recovery Console and run chkdsk /r. Depending on the results
I'd either retry the repair installation with an XP CD that was
in perfect condition (scratches or smudges will cause missing
file errors) or I'd boot with a live Linux cd such as Knoppix
and try to recover data files.

Good luck

Nepatsfan

Tina wrote:
> Sorry this was the first time I posted....
>
> Anyway, Windows is in no shape to be able to fix. It started
> asking for a password and I had none set up - and my ID
> always logged on as administrator.
>
> I tried a repair and it got stuck half way and needed a file
> (don't recall which). So now I have XP in the middle of a
> repair.
>
> I am hoping beyond hope that some great techie can get to
> the disk through DOS and get the stuff off there. I have all
> my stuff saved on the root drive - not in Windows. So I can
> eventually reformat the hard drive.
>
> I have it set up right now as a slave drive and the computer
> doesn't see it....
> Tina
>
> "Nepatsfan" wrote:
>
>> Just a suggestion, when you post a question to the
>> newsgroups, you might want to mention the fact that you
>> haven't installed SP2 on your system. It will help the
>> people trying to provide a solution, and more importantly
>> it will give you the most accurate answer.
>>
>> Since you haven't installed SP2, the only other possibility
>> I can think of is that this file,
>> C:\Windows\System32\ntoskrnl.exe, somehow became corrupted.
>> Usually when this happens the system won't boot and you'll
>> see an error message displayed. Here are a few articles
>> which discuss replacing the corrupt file:
>>
>> How Do I Rectify A Missing or Corrupt Ntoskrnl Error
>> http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_rectify_a_missing_or_co1.htm
>>
>> Error Message: Windows Could Not Start Because of a Computer
>> Disk Hardware Configuration Problem
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314477
>>
>> FYI, Here's the original Windows XP Home Edition splash
>> screen (note
>> the green progress bar):
>> http://www.theeldergeek.com/images/XP%20Home%20Setup%20Graphic/OO.gif
>>
>> Here's the original Windows XP Professional Edition splash
>> screen (note the blue progress bar):
>> http://www.theeldergeek.com/images/XP%20Pro%20Setup%20Graphic/OO.gif
>>
>> Here's the splash screen that both versions display when
>> Service Pack 2 is installed:
>> http://www.winxpsolution.com/images%5Cxpsp2%5C13.jpg
>>

>> Nepatsfan
>>
>> Tina wrote:
>>> Also the splash screen is the same one it had from day one.
>>> It is just the color of the scroll bar that seemed to
>>> change - right before a major problem occurred - on two
>>> machines. I know for a fact my machine (the one that had
>>> XP corrupt to the extent of losing the drive) does not
>>> have SP2 installed and never did - and the scroll had been
>>> green until about a week before the major problem. My
>>> neighbors machine lasted a few days before the problem
>>> happened.
>>>
>>> Nothing at all to do with SP2

tina

The way it sounds I would like this machine to be in front of you too.

I honestly don't know if the jumper cables / switches are correct. The
original cable that was in the computer was not able to connect to both
drives (not enough space between connectors) so I bought one that comes off a
card. The card/cable manufacturer indicated that to work the drive can't have
the switches to slave. He said it would be fine.... the computer recognized
the card and cable - but not what was attached to it.

I have a feeling that to save my stuff - it will have to be through DOS -
and I can't do that. I can't do most of what you mentioned and to tell you
the truth I am so fed up with it I am willing to pay to have someone else
deal with it. The only big problem with that - is the loss of the computer
for who knows how long.

Maybe the repair place rents laptops??

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> [...]
> >> Usually when this happens the system won't boot and you'll
> >> see an error message displayed. Here are a few articles
> >> which discuss replacing the corrupt file:
> >>
> >> How Do I Rectify A Missing or Corrupt Ntoskrnl Error
> >> http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_rectify_a_missing_or_co1.htm
> >>
> >> Error Message: Windows Could Not Start Because of a Computer
> >> Disk Hardware Configuration Problem
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314477
> >>
> >> FYI, Here's the original Windows XP Home Edition splash
> >> screen (note
> >> the green progress bar):
> >> http://www.theeldergeek.com/images/XP%20Home%20Setup%20Graphic/OO.gif
> >>
> >> Here's the original Windows XP Professional Edition splash
> >> screen (note the blue progress bar):
> >> http://www.theeldergeek.com/images/XP%20Pro%20Setup%20Graphic/OO.gif
> >>
> >> Here's the splash screen that both versions display when

When you take your machine in for repairs make a point of
emphasizing the importance of saving your files. I've heard too
many horror stories from people who took a computer in to be
fixed and the tech simply formatted the hard drive and
reinstalled the operating system.

Good luck

Nepatsfan

Tina wrote:
> [...]
>> smudges will cause missing file errors) or I'd boot with a
>> live Linux cd such as Knoppix and try to recover data files.
>>
>> Good luck
>>
>> Nepatsfan
>>
>> Tina wrote:
>>> Sorry this was the first time I posted....
>>>
>>> Anyway, Windows is in no shape to be able to fix. It
>>> started asking for a password and I had none set up - and
>>> my ID always logged on as administrator.
>>>
>>> I tried a repair and it got stuck half way and needed a
>>> file (don't recall which). So now I have XP in the middle
>>> of a repair.
>>>
>>> I am hoping beyond hope that some great techie can get to
>>> the disk through DOS and get the stuff off there. I have
>>> all my stuff saved on the root drive - not in Windows. So
>>> I can eventually reformat the hard drive.
>>>
>>> I have it set up right now as a slave drive and the

tina

Thanks - what I will be bringing it in for only is to recover the files and
make sure that the drives are hooked up correctly (one should be a slave I
would imagine) - I can format the drive and reinstall the operating system
myself - I have done it before.

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> [...]
> >> here for the procedure:
> >>
> >> How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421
> >>
> >> "Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a
> >> Folder
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881
> >>
> >> If I had your machine in front of me, here's what I would
> >> do. I'd put the drive back in the original computer. I'd
> >> then run the drive manufacturer's diagnostic utility. If
> >> the drive checked out OK, I'd boot from an XP installation
> >> CD, enter the Recovery Console and run chkdsk /r. Depending
> >> on the results I'd either retry the repair installation
> >> with an XP CD that was in perfect condition (scratches or
> >> smudges will cause missing file errors) or I'd boot with a
> >> live Linux cd such as Knoppix and try to recover data files.

In order to recover data, Active@ Undelete can be used. It has good
recover algorithm, and it never failed to restore any data I lost.
Nuber One tool imho.
http://www.active-undelete.com

tina

How can this be used if the operating system is not accessable? Windows is in
the middle of a repair and needs a file to continue - so as far as the hard
drive is concerned windows is not there. I believe the only thing that can be
done is to boot to the C drive on start up. At that point I am lost. I know
virtually nothing about DOS. I do know for a fact though, that none of my
important files are stored in windows - it is all on the root drive.
Tina