Nintendo finally learning from mistakes?

Last response: in Video Games
February 19, 2005 11:54:52 PM

This is from IGN's "ask a Nintendo suit" feature.

> Looking to the future and Revolution, it's still too early to discuss
> specific strategies, but I can tell you that we have learned much
> from the launch of the Nintendo GameCube. We realize that things such
> as having a strong software line-up at launch is critical to the
> success of Revolution. We understand what kinds of technologies and
> experiences the market is asking for. You are certainly correct that
> our financial and creative resources are vast, and we intend to fully
> flex this muscle more than ever in the coming years.

Does this mean we can expect a twenty-plus game lineup at launch,
complete with Mario 128 and perhaps Zelda, Mario Kart, Pilotwings, and
plenty of third-party titles? Nintendo absolutely must do this, in my
opinion. They need Mario and a bunch of third-party games with wide
appeal or they are going to become a tiny niche market.

As for that quote about technologies the market is asking for,
d'ya's'pose this means online gaming? Hope so.

--

Anonymous
February 20, 2005 2:48:10 PM

Jacob Oost wrote:
> This is from IGN's "ask a Nintendo suit" feature.
>
>> Looking to the future and Revolution, it's still too early to discuss
>> specific strategies, but I can tell you that we have learned much
>> from the launch of the Nintendo GameCube. We realize that things such
>> as having a strong software line-up at launch is critical to the
>> success of Revolution. We understand what kinds of technologies and
>> experiences the market is asking for. You are certainly correct that
>> our financial and creative resources are vast, and we intend to fully
>> flex this muscle more than ever in the coming years.
>

> Does this mean we can expect a twenty-plus game lineup at launch,
> complete with Mario 128 and perhaps Zelda, Mario Kart, Pilotwings, and
> plenty of third-party titles? Nintendo absolutely must do this, in my
> opinion. They need Mario and a bunch of third-party games with wide
> appeal or they are going to become a tiny niche market.
>
> As for that quote about technologies the market is asking for,
> d'ya's'pose this means online gaming? Hope so.

I don't think Zelda should ever be a launch title. *I* think it should
be a Christmas title (ie launch console in Summer, boost sales at Christmas)

Mario (platformer) and Pilotwings (I'd forgotten about this!) would be
really good, so would Mario Kart - but it would have to be online! Of
course they would also need some killer (but not nesseserily exclusive)
3rd party titles.

I think 10 really good (ie 85%+ ratings) titles would be considered a
good launch line up

Glad to hear the line "we have learned much" - I was starting to think
Nintendo collective mind was Read-Only ;o)
February 20, 2005 4:56:48 PM

> Does this mean we can expect a twenty-plus game lineup at launch,
> complete with Mario 128 and perhaps Zelda, Mario Kart, Pilotwings, and
> plenty of third-party titles?

They, and everyone else and their mother, say the same thing everytime a new
console is going to be launched. More often than not it turns out not to be
the case. Look at Gamecube's launch... they said the SAME EXACT thing.
Related resources
February 20, 2005 4:58:17 PM

> Glad to hear the line "we have learned much" - I was starting to think
> Nintendo collective mind was Read-Only ;o)

That's all it is. Talk is cheap. Only time will really tell what is reality
and what is just wishful talk. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Nintendo fan,
but not so much that I believe what they say as truth.
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 7:47:10 PM

Vitani wrote:
> I don't think Zelda should ever be a launch title. *I* think it should
> be a Christmas title (ie launch console in Summer, boost sales at
> Christmas)

Releasing just after summer is smart, but I don't think it's smart to
release during the summer (or just before). N64 launched in Summer in
Japan and was unsuccessful there. Saturn launched in Summer and...well,
you know. I think people have to be in a system-buying mood to buy a
new system and that mood only happens after summer when people start to
think about Christmas. This is just a theory though.

> Mario (platformer) and Pilotwings (I'd forgotten about this!) would be
> really good, so would Mario Kart - but it would have to be online! Of
> course they would also need some killer (but not nesseserily exclusive)
> 3rd party titles.

Pilotwings 64 was an awesome simulator that really challenged your
skills. Instead of trying to look cartoony it tried to look real (what
with Paradigm and all) and feel real. Imagine a version with GC or
Revolution graphics. Imagine an online version where you race around
the islands firing missiles at eachother! Imagine this is a launch
title! AAAAGGGHHH!!!! :::jumps up and down and claps hands like little
girl:::

--

February 20, 2005 7:47:11 PM

"Jacob Oost" <zork@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> Vitani wrote:
>> I don't think Zelda should ever be a launch title. *I* think it should be
>> a Christmas title (ie launch console in Summer, boost sales at Christmas)
>>

> Releasing just after summer is smart, but I don't think it's smart to
> release during the summer (or just before). N64 launched in Summer in
> Japan and was unsuccessful there. Saturn launched in Summer and...well,
> you know. I think people have to be in a system-buying mood to buy a new
> system and that mood only happens after summer when people start to think
> about Christmas. This is just a theory though.

You're onto something there. The reality is that people are doing stuff in
summer. This includes kids and adults. When summer ends and the weather
becomes more inhospitable, then people look for indoor activities to occupy
their time. That's where game consoles come in handy. So yeah, releasing in
summer is not a good move.
There's also the "new school year" factor, where kids are all bummed out so
they look to game consoles to escape the reality of another year of BS.
(e.g. Sony's Sept launch of PS1).

>> Mario (platformer) and Pilotwings (I'd forgotten about this!) would be
>> really good, so would Mario Kart - but it would have to be online! Of
>> course they would also need some killer (but not nesseserily exclusive)
>> 3rd party titles.
>>

> Pilotwings 64 was an awesome simulator that really challenged your skills.
> Instead of trying to look cartoony it tried to look real (what with
> Paradigm and all) and feel real. Imagine a version with GC or Revolution
> graphics. Imagine an online version where you race around the islands
> firing missiles at eachother! Imagine this is a launch title!
> AAAAGGGHHH!!!! :::jumps up and down and claps hands like little girl:::
>
> --

Anonymous
February 20, 2005 11:35:00 PM

"JoJo" <mrbiggles909@yahoo.com> wrote in
news:D N7Sd.77708$Yu.27297@fed1read01:

>> Releasing just after summer is smart, but I don't think it's smart to
>> release during the summer (or just before). N64 launched in Summer
>> in Japan and was unsuccessful there. Saturn launched in Summer
>> and...well, you know. I think people have to be in a system-buying
>> mood to buy a new system and that mood only happens after summer when
>> people start to think about Christmas. This is just a theory though.
>
> You're onto something there. The reality is that people are doing
> stuff in summer. This includes kids and adults. When summer ends and
> the weather becomes more inhospitable, then people look for indoor
> activities to occupy their time. That's where game consoles come in
> handy. So yeah, releasing in summer is not a good move.
> There's also the "new school year" factor, where kids are all bummed
> out so they look to game consoles to escape the reality of another
> year of BS. (e.g. Sony's Sept launch of PS1).

Don't discount the college kid factor. As soon as the semester starts,
you get money from your parents for books, and then you buy as many as
possible used. So, you'll probably have some left over, so you go and
get yourself some games. Happens every year. Gotta outfit that new dorm
room.

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.dvdverdict.com
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 1:07:53 AM

JoJo wrote:
>>Does this mean we can expect a twenty-plus game lineup at launch,
>>complete with Mario 128 and perhaps Zelda, Mario Kart, Pilotwings, and
>>plenty of third-party titles?
>

> They, and everyone else and their mother, say the same thing everytime a new
> console is going to be launched. More often than not it turns out not to be
> the case. Look at Gamecube's launch... they said the SAME EXACT thing.

I don't recall Mario and/or Zelda being promised for the GC launch.
They were promising around 8-12 titles at launch, and I believe that's
what we got (though my memory of that K-Mart at 8a.m. is a little fuzzy).

--

Anonymous
February 21, 2005 12:23:14 PM

Jacob Oost wrote:

> :::jumps up and down and claps hands like little
> girl:::

lol
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 4:41:19 PM

As long as the revolution has online play, it won't "flop". But if they
leave it out again, then the revolution will be the next gamecube.
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 1:18:52 AM

nathan.gibney@gmail.com wrote:
> As long as the revolution has online play, it won't "flop". But if they
> leave it out again, then the revolution will be the next gamecube.

GC is hardly a flop. Jaguar was a flop. CD-i was a flop. 3DO was a
flop. GC has a wide game library (many cross-platform titles, it's not
all Mario Party and Animal Crossing), and makes money. Soul Calibur II
sold better on GC than any other system.

--

!