Gameboy Radomising?

Here's one for ya... How come every time I play Tetris, I don't end up
playing the same game?

Since there is no clock in a gameboy like in a computer, and since the
original Tetris on the original gameboy didn't allow anything to be
saved on the game itself, what changing variable is the gameboy using
to generate the 'random' order of pieces?

This one's been bugging like crazy since it first occured to me. I'd
love to hear any explanations!
3 answers Last reply
More about gameboy radomising
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    kk@thepopeshinesmyshoes.com wrote:
    > Here's one for ya... How come every time I play Tetris, I don't end
    up
    > playing the same game?
    >
    > Since there is no clock in a gameboy like in a computer, and since
    the
    > original Tetris on the original gameboy didn't allow anything to be
    > saved on the game itself, what changing variable is the gameboy using
    > to generate the 'random' order of pieces?
    >
    > This one's been bugging like crazy since it first occured to me. I'd
    > love to hear any explanations!

    Simply put: even if there isn't a clock to get a random number from,
    consider this:
    >From the moment the gameboy is turned on, an internal random number
    generator starts going (either in the hardware or software, it makes no
    difference), and generates a new number every .01 seconds (this is just
    for argument's sake)

    Unless you (1) start the game the exact same number of hundreths of a
    second after turning the gameboy on, and (2) you take exactly (to
    within .005 seconds) the same time to play each piece (and that is a
    cumulative .005 seconds, not .005 per piece), you will get a different
    sequence.

    There are other ways, but I think you should get the idea from my one
    example.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    It's generating a random number from a seed. Any computer is capable of
    doing this, it just needs a seed, which is usually the clock. Just because
    you don't see a time display doesn't mean there isn't a clock. (And I mean
    a counting clock not the clock the runs the system). With that said, it's
    not really random, but random enough for the purposes of a video game.

    <kk@thepopeshinesmyshoes.com> wrote in message
    > Here's one for ya... How come every time I play Tetris, I don't end up
    > playing the same game?
    >
    > Since there is no clock in a gameboy like in a computer, and since the
    > original Tetris on the original gameboy didn't allow anything to be
    > saved on the game itself, what changing variable is the gameboy using
    > to generate the 'random' order of pieces?
    >
    > This one's been bugging like crazy since it first occured to me. I'd
    > love to hear any explanations!

  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    So you're saying the seed is created based on the interval of time between
    when the user powers up the machine, and actually hits start. That'd do it.

Console Gaming Games Gameboy Nintendo Video Games