Help, very weird resolution/display problem

G

ok I have this strange problem with my computer, when I use certain resolutions such as 1280 x 960, 1152 x 864 for example on my desktop the screen gets weird and stretchy, it becomes sort of oval and parts are off of the screen, sort of uhh bubbly........so I use 1280 x 1024 and everything is fine........but in games like half life for instance when I use 800 x 600 or even on Baldurs Gate 2 now its oval and weirdly shaped, screen is stretched the top and bottom corners are poined inward, not sure if I explained this right by its very weird and not sure how to fix !!!!!

I have

Athlon XP 1900
ASUS 415-D Nforce motherboard
Geforce 4 ti4600 128 ram 3-d card (newest drivers)
Soundblaster Audigy
Lite on 24x10x40x
Lian Li PC65 aluminum case
Windows XP Professional

thanks

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
See what's the max resolution and refresh for your monitor, if your video card can do more than the max of the monitor you can damage the monitor by going over. Other than that no clue. You can adjust trapezoid on your monitor, should have buttons or something on it for that.

<font color=red>Computer upgraded, now need a place to live, and a good divorce lawyer.</font color=red>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Use the display manager go into each resolution that you use, 1280x1024, 1024x768, 800x600, etc. At each resolution set the best refresh rate for your monitor then on your monitor make adjustments like size, offset, and barrel. Most monitors will save the adjustments automatically. Some monitors have a limit to the number of settings you can save. (Mine only saves five sets, the last 5 used). Some older monitors have an interaction between resolutions. For example, adjustments made at 1280x1024 affect the appearance of 800x600, so you have to compromise on the adjustments.

Go into the next resolution and repeat the steps.

When you play your games, that use any of the resolutions you just configured, display manager will automatically set the refresh rate that you have chosen (unless overidden by the game settings) and the monitor will adjust the picture to where you previously set it.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 04/14/02 04:22 PM.</EM></FONT></P>