Bigger is Better?

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

It seems that over the years, video games produced by Nintendo appear to
follow the common theme of "bigger is better".

When I was younger, honestly I did not care about the game size as long as
the graphics, sound, music and originality was good.

As I grew into adulthood, I found myself being turned off by large games.

Any game that requires you to spend months to complete is too big in my
opinion.

Now, while there are many individuals who actually enjoy this, there are a
great many of us who do not share that desire.

Take for example a game of solitaire, checkers, chess, baseball, football,
or any other "real" game that does not appear on your monitor. Those games
last a reasonable amount of time and at the conclusion, you feel satisfied.

After being exposed to the Nintendo DS at the store yesterday, I have
observed an interesting game with Wario. It was basically a collection of
mini-games. I found that concept complete, however, I would not pay $150
bucks for the privilege of playing that on the Nintendo DS.

As for Mario 64 DS, that game is even larger where you must collect a
whopping 150 stars to completely win the game.

Timing jumps so you land perfectly sounds as much fun as threading a needle.

Are there any Mario games that do not require months to complete?
21 answers Last reply
More about bigger better
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    In article <fJqUd.37504$f%5.34656@trndny03>,
    "fish" <i.am.such.a.fish@atlantic.ocean> wrote:

    > Take for example a game of solitaire, checkers, chess, baseball, football,
    > or any other "real" game that does not appear on your monitor. Those games
    > last a reasonable amount of time and at the conclusion, you feel satisfied.

    I think you're looking at repeat play value here. You can play chess a
    thousand times and still enjoy it; a game that's puzzle-based or
    story-based is only fun a few times, since once you've solved the
    puzzles or seen how the story ends there's not as much incentive to play
    again. Games cost about $50, so people want either replay value _or_ a
    linear story that gives them their money's worth.

    Perhaps you want a party game like Super Smash Bros. or the Super Monkey
    Ball minigames, or something like Mario Tennis that's designed to be
    played over and over again. Those games tend to have elements that
    require a lot of play time to unlock, but they're still fun without them.

    (And, of course, there are plenty of story games that are "too short"
    for most people; I really liked Beyond Good and Evil, though it was too
    short and too easy for me.)

    ----j7y

    --
    jere7my tho?rpe | "The land knows whom it sent out;
    (440) 775-1522 | In the place of human beings
    jere7my2@oberlin.net | Their ashes in urns
    http://www.livejournal.com/~jere7my | Come back to each man's house."
    --- Aeschylus, The Agamemnon
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    Define "months." Does this mean "a week or two"? Because that's how
    long it takes me to finish a Mario game, even the huge ones like Yoshi's
    Island and SM64.

    BTW, almost all gamers want value for their money, i.e. something that
    will keep them occupied for a while, and is long enough to get plenty of
    replay value out of. If you're having fun, you're having fun. Why
    focus so much on how long it takes you to beat it?

    Luigi's Mansion ain't a Mario game, but it is also quite short
    (something that it got a lot of criticism for).

    --

    ----- BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK -----
    Version 3.1
    GAT d? !s !a C++++ UL+ P L++ E- W+ N+ o-- K- w--
    O- !M !V PS-- PE++ Y+ PGP- t++>++++* 5? !X-- R- tv b++ DI+ D++
    G e !h !r !y
    ...... END GEEK CODE BLOCK ----
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    Actually pretty much every other company is also part of the act of
    lengthening games. In fact, I think it was Satoru Iwata of Nintendo who said
    games were getting too long, and people were having less time for them.

    "fish" <i.am.such.a.fish@atlantic.ocean> wrote in message
    news:fJqUd.37504$f%5.34656@trndny03...
    > It seems that over the years, video games produced by Nintendo appear to
    > follow the common theme of "bigger is better".
    >
    > When I was younger, honestly I did not care about the game size as long as
    > the graphics, sound, music and originality was good.
    >
    > As I grew into adulthood, I found myself being turned off by large games.
    >
    > Any game that requires you to spend months to complete is too big in my
    > opinion.
    >
    > Now, while there are many individuals who actually enjoy this, there are a
    > great many of us who do not share that desire.
    >
    > Take for example a game of solitaire, checkers, chess, baseball, football,
    > or any other "real" game that does not appear on your monitor. Those games
    > last a reasonable amount of time and at the conclusion, you feel
    > satisfied.
    >
    > After being exposed to the Nintendo DS at the store yesterday, I have
    > observed an interesting game with Wario. It was basically a collection of
    > mini-games. I found that concept complete, however, I would not pay $150
    > bucks for the privilege of playing that on the Nintendo DS.
    >
    > As for Mario 64 DS, that game is even larger where you must collect a
    > whopping 150 stars to completely win the game.
    >
    > Timing jumps so you land perfectly sounds as much fun as threading a
    > needle.
    >
    > Are there any Mario games that do not require months to complete?
    >
    >
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    Jacob Oost sez...

    > Define "months."

    Several months.

    I work 12 hours a day. When I get home, I may have maybe a half hour of free
    time for a quick game if I desire to do so. On weekends, if I don't have a
    date, I usually do something important such as home renovation or something
    important.

    > Does this mean "a week or two"?

    Nope.

    > Because that's how long it takes
    > me to finish a Mario game

    You are an expert. For me to learn the perfect timing of those very precise
    jumps takes allot of practice and a huge amount of time. Is it just me or
    does Metal Mario seem a bit slower? Maybe he seems slow when he is walking
    underwater.

    I would love to consider a Nintendo DS with Mario 64, but the big turn-off
    for me is that it would take me many months just to learn the game because I
    don't have the time to spare hours on a daily basis for the game.

    By the way, I rarely have time to complete a game of Pac-Man on my cell
    phone, especially on weekends when I'm dating or something. If I complete
    the first level or two or if I get to the first intermission, then that's a
    miracle.

    I was thinking that a portable Nintendo DS would give me time to complete
    maybe a level or two while I'm on the run or waiting for the subway in NY.

    > BTW, almost all gamers want value for their money

    Hey, if I decide on buying the Nintendo DS, then that's because I want a
    real value for my money too! I mean, it costs more than a Playstation 2 or a
    Game Cube.

    > Why focus so much on how
    > long it takes you to beat it?

    Because I honestly don't have as much free time these days. When I was a
    kid, I had plenty of free time.

    --
    I am the fish and I approve this message.
    ______________
    =====fish=====
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    fish wrote:
    >>Because that's how long it takes
    >>me to finish a Mario game
    >
    >
    > You are an expert.

    Nope, I am not good at tearing through games. I just play more than one
    half hour a day (if I play games, sometimes I go weeks or months without
    playing anything).

    > For me to learn the perfect timing of those very precise
    > jumps takes allot of practice and a huge amount of time. Is it just me or
    > does Metal Mario seem a bit slower? Maybe he seems slow when he is walking
    > underwater.
    >

    Metal Mario is indeed slower. *If* you have only thirty minutes in
    which to play, that's plenty of time to make progress in just about any
    platform game. Get a star or two, save, pick it up again the next day.

    > I would love to consider a Nintendo DS with Mario 64, but the big turn-off
    > for me is that it would take me many months just to learn the game because I
    > don't have the time to spare hours on a daily basis for the game.
    >

    Mario 64 on DS is just the first game with multi-player and thirty extra
    stars tacked on. It would take more than that for me to buy a DS.

    > By the way, I rarely have time to complete a game of Pac-Man on my cell
    > phone, especially on weekends when I'm dating or something. If I complete
    > the first level or two or if I get to the first intermission, then that's a
    > miracle.
    >

    Games (on a game console with a game controller) shouldn't be hard to
    control. They may be hard to play, but actually controlling Mario
    should be a breeze. I suggest you spend more time just playing around
    outside the castle, jumping around, wooping it up, to come to grips with
    Mario's controls. Tilt the stick a little, he tip-toes, tilt it all the
    wayk, he runs. It's pretty simple, no offense.

    > Because I honestly don't have as much free time these days. When I was a
    > kid, I had plenty of free time.

    But if you're playing thirty minutes at a time, what does it matter if
    there are a hundred levels or ten? Beating the game isn't the goal,
    having fun is.

    --

    ----- BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK -----
    Version 3.1
    GAT d? !s !a C++++ UL+ P L++ E- W+ N+ o-- K- w--
    O- !M !V PS-- PE++ Y+ PGP- t++>++++* 5? !X-- R- tv b++ DI+ D++
    G e !h !r !y
    ...... END GEEK CODE BLOCK ----
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    mganai wrote:
    > Actually pretty much every other company is also part of the act of
    > lengthening games. In fact, I think it was Satoru Iwata of Nintendo who
    > said games were getting too long, and people were having less time for
    > them.

    I don't remember it that way. I remember him saying games were getting
    too complex to control instead of having the simplified controls that
    Nintendo games are known for. I agree too, I think games like
    Civilization III need to work on stream-lining their interface, making
    things easy to understand, etc. Advance Wars had turn-based combat on
    par with anything else, and it controlled so easily and didn't bombard
    you with resource management or loads of meters and numbers.

    Unless a game is freakishly long, like over one thousand hours, I don't
    see why this is a problem. This isn't checkers, where you are trying to
    get to the end. Most games are about having fun getting through the
    part you are in right now. If you just see the whole game as a big
    obstacle to getting a shiny cutscene at the end, you're not going to
    have any fun.

    --

    ----- BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK -----
    Version 3.1
    GAT d? !s !a C++++ UL+ P L++ E- W+ N+ o-- K- w--
    O- !M !V PS-- PE++ Y+ PGP- t++>++++* 5? !X-- R- tv b++ DI+ D++
    G e !h !r !y
    ...... END GEEK CODE BLOCK ----
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    mganai sez...

    > Actually pretty much every other company
    > is also part of the act of lengthening games.

    Years ago, I used to own a Gameboy. That tiny green screen and lousy battery
    life made it annoying, so I traded it. When I see a Nintendo DS, it looks
    like a major improvement. That Gameboy advance looks too small to enjoy.

    As for the length of games go, I had Donkey Kong on the Gameboy that took
    forever to beat. I probably beat that game only once because it was THAT
    big. Absolutely NO replay value for me whatsoever.

    > In fact, I think it was Satoru Iwata of Nintendo
    > who said games were getting too long, and
    > people were having less time for them.

    It's true! The sad part is that I would love to play video games again.
    These days, the only games I have time to play are solitaire, but that game
    gets boring. Having said that, solitaire has a higher replay value than most
    games on Nintendo, Sony, etc...

    --
    I am the fish and I approve this message.
    ______________
    =====fish=====
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    fish wrote:
    > It's true! The sad part is that I would love to play video games again.
    > These days, the only games I have time to play are solitaire, but that game
    > gets boring. Having said that, solitaire has a higher replay value than most
    > games on Nintendo, Sony, etc...
    >

    You don't seem to be interested in video games so much as you are in
    general kinds of games. I have never heard another gamer (even ones I
    disagreed with in every other way) complain about long games having no
    replay value. In fact I hear the opposite, all of the time.

    I'm confused, I admit. Why are you so focused on how long it takes to
    complete the game instead of enjoying the increments in which you play?
    Whether you play Tetris for thirty minutes or Mario for thirty
    minutes, you're still playing a game for thirty minutes and making
    progress. You know that you can save in games these days, right? If
    you have a Gamecube you'll want a save card, and virtually all cartridge
    games let you pause and save at any time or at select save points.

    --

    ----- BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK -----
    Version 3.1
    GAT d? !s !a C++++ UL+ P L++ E- W+ N+ o-- K- w--
    O- !M !V PS-- PE++ Y+ PGP- t++>++++* 5? !X-- R- tv b++ DI+ D++
    G e !h !r !y
    ...... END GEEK CODE BLOCK ----
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    Jacob Oost sez...

    > I'm confused, I admit. Why are you so
    > focused on how long it takes to complete
    > the game instead of enjoying the
    > increments in which you play ?

    The part you don't seem to understand is that if I have a favorite level I
    enjoyed, by the time I completely finish the entire game, it was so long, I
    completely lost my interest and had forgotten which level I had enjoyed the
    most.

    By the way, did you watch last week's episode of "The Apprentice" where the
    task was to design an ad campaign for a Sony Playstation game?

    --
    I am the fish and I approve this message.
    ______________
    =====fish=====
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    fish wrote:
    > The part you don't seem to understand is that if I have a favorite level I
    > enjoyed, by the time I completely finish the entire game, it was so long, I
    > completely lost my interest and had forgotten which level I had enjoyed the
    > most.
    >

    Geez Louise, what games do you like then? "Too long" is a complaint I
    rarely hear applied, even to really long games. Repetition is one
    thing, bust most gamers like their games to keep them busy for a while
    and have enough levels for them to want to come back again and again.

    > By the way, did you watch last week's episode of "The Apprentice" where the
    > task was to design an ad campaign for a Sony Playstation game?
    >

    I wouldn't watch a reality show if you paid me (well, if the money was
    good I suppose I might).

    --

    ----- BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK -----
    Version 3.1
    GAT d? !s !a C++++ UL+ P L++ E- W+ N+ o-- K- w--
    O- !M !V PS-- PE++ Y+ PGP- t++>++++* 5? !X-- R- tv b++ DI+ D++
    G e !h !r !y
    ...... END GEEK CODE BLOCK ----
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    Jacob Oost sez...

    > ...what games do you like then?

    The Mario games have always been a favorite. I tried playing Super Mario 3
    on my old Super NES, but those blockly pixels just ruined the experience
    after being away from video games for years.

    > "Too long" is a complaint I rarely hear
    > applied, even to really long games.

    I would love to own Super Mario 64 DS, but then I read some interesting
    things...

    ....such as: No analog control.
    Levels changed to make game play easier.
    More stars required to win.

    Having observed the dual screens seem to make the Nintendo DS the most
    advanced portable game system ever. Having mentioned that, I was shocked
    that the battery is internal and cannot be removed.

    I have 2 batteries for my cordless drill, my cell phone, my digital camera,
    my camcorder and it would have been nice to have 2 batteries for the
    Nintendo DS. That was such a critical mistake, it may have cost Nintendo
    some potential sales because if the battery goes, the entire system is
    hosed.

    --
    I am the fish and I approve this message.
    ______________
    =====fish=====
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 04:21:23 GMT, "fish"
    <i.am.such.a.fish@atlantic.ocean> wrote:

    >The Mario games have always been a favorite. I tried playing Super Mario 3
    >on my old Super NES, but those blockly pixels just ruined the experience
    >after being away from video games for years.
    Do you mean the original SMB3 for the NES, or the remade version for
    the SNES (Super Mario All-Stars)? If you mean the original NES
    version, then yes, the graphics are pretty bad. If you mean the
    remade SNES version, then I think your expections are probably too
    high. Either way, they also remade SMB3 for the GBA. The graphics
    are roughly the same as the SNES version's (though they'd be
    impossible to call blocky because the screen is so much smaller.)

    >I would love to own Super Mario 64 DS, but then I read some interesting
    >things...
    >
    >...such as: No analog control.
    > Levels changed to make game play easier.
    > More stars required to win.

    Overall, I think SM64DS is much better than SM64. I never really got
    into SM64 (though I did eventually beat it), mostly because of the
    controls. I had absolutely no problem with the game on the DS, though
    - I found it far easier to control just using the regular control pad
    than the N64 version was (for me, at least.) There were a few level
    tweaks that made some areas a bit easier, too, but nothing excessive,
    IMO. Some of the character's special moves also made some areas
    easier (Luigi's longer jump, especially.)

    Overall, between the improved controls, new characters, new areas and
    mini-games makes SM64 a much better game on the DS than the N64. Even
    though there are a number of areas that are easier, the fact that
    there are more things to do makes up for it. In the end, its not
    really any longer because, despite there being more stars to collect,
    you'll get them a bit faster and without getting stuck and frustrated
    anywhere.

    >I have 2 batteries for my cordless drill, my cell phone, my digital camera,
    >my camcorder and it would have been nice to have 2 batteries for the
    >Nintendo DS. That was such a critical mistake, it may have cost Nintendo
    >some potential sales because if the battery goes, the entire system is
    >hosed.
    The DS's battery CAN be removed, but it requires a screwdriver
    (standard philips) to do so. If your battery goes bad, you can easily
    replace it. You can even buy an extra battery as a backup for long
    trips, as long as you have a screwdriver handy.
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    "fish" <i.am.such.a.fish@atlantic.ocean> wrote in
    news:a5sUd.44371$t46.32058@trndny04:

    >> Define "months."
    >
    > Several months.
    >
    > I work 12 hours a day. When I get home, I may have maybe a half hour
    > of free time for a quick game if I desire to do so. On weekends, if I
    > don't have a date, I usually do something important such as home
    > renovation or something important.
    >
    > Hey, if I decide on buying the Nintendo DS, then that's because I want
    > a real value for my money too! I mean, it costs more than a
    > Playstation 2 or a Game Cube.
    >
    >> Why focus so much on how
    >> long it takes you to beat it?
    >
    > Because I honestly don't have as much free time these days. When I was
    > a kid, I had plenty of free time.

    I hear where you're coming from, I'm in the same boat. I'm working 50
    hours a week, with an awful commute and lots of time consuming
    responsibilities on my "days off". I don't play games even a tenth as
    much as I used to. I don't think that makes the games too long, though,
    it just makes me too busy. I like long games and I think a good game
    *should* take a while to finish.

    My solution for now? Find games I can play during my few free hours...
    my GBA gets quite a workout nowadays. For that reason, I was upset that
    Metroid: Zero Mission ended so quickly (just when I was really starting
    to like it). OTOH, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga is definately long
    enough to give me my money's worth.

    And I still buy long games, for when I take vacations or get sick
    or something. I may never get to play games as much as I did when
    I was a kid, but that doesn't mean I'll spend the rest of my life
    letting them collect dust. I'll get back to them-- I like them too
    much not to.


    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    drocket, you responded to fish with...

    >> I tried playing Super Mario 3 on my
    >> old Super NES, but those blockly
    >> pixels just ruined the experience
    >> after being away from video games
    >> for years.

    > Do you mean the original SMB3 for
    > the NES, or the remade version for
    > the SNES (Super Mario All-Stars)?

    Super Mario All-Stars with Super Mario World.

    My goodness, those graphics are so blocky on my 15" monitor. Compared to the
    smoother graphics of Mario 64, it's very obvious.

    >> I would love to own Super Mario 64 DS,
    >> but then I read some interesting things...

    >> ...such as: No analog control.
    >> Levels changed to make game play easier.
    >> More stars required to win.

    > Overall, I think SM64DS is
    > much better than SM64.

    I was thinking the same thing. I especially like the fact that you can see
    an active overview of the map as you are playing. Some areas can get a bit
    confusing such as the Hazy Maze.

    > I never really got into SM64 (though I
    > did eventually beat it), mostly because
    > of the controls.

    I don't own a Nintendo 64, but I have played it and remember it was fun, yet
    frustrating. I loved that ghost house and the most difficult star on the
    roof was a blast to get! It's a shame the programmers didn't put a cannon on
    that level to shoot you to the star instead of treading the narrow ledge of
    the roof.

    > I had absolutely no problem with the game on the DS, though
    > - I found it far easier to control just using the regular control pad
    > than the N64 version was (for me, at least.)

    WOW. I am impressed with your experience. I will consider that if I decide
    to buy it. Right now, I am leaning towards buying it because I might be able
    to play a level or two while waiting for a subway or while I'm warming my
    car waiting for the snow to melt off the windows.

    > There were a few level tweaks that made
    > some areas a bit easier, too, but nothing
    > excessive, IMO.

    I did enjoy those levels. Some levels could use an overhaul if you ask my
    opinion. I would love to get that bird that always manages to swipe Mario's
    hat! That is just one of the frustrating (yet fun) things about it.

    > Some of the character's special moves
    > also made some areas easier (Luigi's
    > longer jump, especially.)

    Is Yoshi any good as a playable character? In other words, would you use
    Yoshi to beat Big Ba-Bomb on the Summit?

    > Overall, between the improved controls,

    So, you say the controls are improved? Tell me, can you control the camera
    angle better on the DS?

    > ...new characters, new areas and mini-games

    I am seriously looking forward to those new mini-games! That's one of the
    things I like about the DS version of Mario 64.

    > makes SM64 a much better
    > game on the DS than the N64.

    Does the bottom screen with it's overhead view actually help you while you
    are in the middle of Mario action or do you find it distracting?

    I think it would help me learn the levels better.

    > Even though there are a number of
    > areas that are easier, the fact that
    > there are more things to do makes
    > up for it.

    One of the most difficult things for me was freeing Chain Chomp on the first
    level to get the star.

    If that part was tweaked (just a bit, not much really), then I wouldn't mind
    =)

    Another thing that could be tweaked is the princess slide. I can't seem to
    slide to the bottom in under 21 seconds. I do the dive the very moment I
    begin to slide and I go full speed. Those tight curves always managed to
    slow me down, but NOT by much. I tried jumping, but I always managed to fall
    to a bottomless pit.

    > In the end, its not really any longer because,
    > despite there being more stars to collect,
    > you'll get them a bit faster and without getting
    > stuck and frustrated anywhere.

    You know what I really enjoyed? That rabbit chase! He gave you a star if you
    could catch him!

    I read that the 1up mushroom on the 3rd tree nearest the waterfall outside
    the castle is gone :(

    >> I have 2 batteries for my...
    >> That was such a critical mistake,
    >> it may have cost Nintendo some
    >> potential sales because if the
    >> battery goes, the entire system is
    >> hosed.

    > The DS's battery CAN be removed,
    > but it requires a screwdriver (standard
    > philips) to do so.

    Wow, I will now seriously consider the DS. I will read more on the system.
    This is starting to sound fascinating. I am beginning to see potential here.

    > If your battery goes bad,
    > you can easily replace it.

    I will research more. I actually like this. I was afraid that because I am
    an adult, I grew out of video games.

    > You can even buy an extra battery
    > as a backup for long trips, as long
    > as you have a screwdriver handy.

    They sell them very small screwdrivers that fit inside of a pocket. You know
    the ones with the little metal clip. This is workable.

    --
    I am the fish and I approve this message.
    ______________
    =====fish=====
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    Aaron J. Bossig sez to fish...

    >> Because I honestly don't have as
    >> much free time these days. When
    >> I was a kid, I had plenty of free time.

    > I hear where you're coming from, I'm
    > in the same boat. I'm working 50
    > hours a week, with an awful commute
    > and lots of time consuming
    > responsibilities on my "days off".

    Wow, it's good to meet someone who understands what being a responsible
    adult is really like. It's not the same as when you were a kid with no
    responsibilities.

    > My solution for now? Find games
    > I can play during my few free hours...

    I was thinking the same thing. Maybe play a game while waiting for the
    subway in Manhattan or something. That is a sure bet, but I could very
    easily be distracted and miss my train or the cute girl that was looking at
    me and I missed the opportunity.

    --
    I am the fish and I approve this message.
    ______________
    =====fish=====
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    "fish" <i.am.such.a.fish@atlantic.ocean> wrote in
    news:WaQUd.37297$ya6.2321@trndny01:

    > Wow, it's good to meet someone who understands what being a
    > responsible adult is really like. It's not the same as when you were a
    > kid with no responsibilities.
    >
    >> My solution for now? Find games
    >> I can play during my few free hours...
    >
    > I was thinking the same thing. Maybe play a game while waiting for the
    > subway in Manhattan or something. That is a sure bet, but I could very
    > easily be distracted and miss my train or the cute girl that was
    > looking at me and I missed the opportunity.

    I've found it helps to keep the GBA on me, especially while sitting
    in waiting rooms at the doctor's office or something. And if your job
    requires you to travel or something, it's a Godsend. Recently, I found
    out that some hotels offer N64 games, but the cost is a whopping $7 an
    hour! Sad thing is, if I didn't have my GBA with me, I might have paid
    it. It helps to plan ahead.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 04:53:43 GMT, "fish"
    <i.am.such.a.fish@atlantic.ocean> wrote:

    >I was playing it on my Super Nintendo console, connected to my computer
    >monitor. My monitor plays all my VHS and DVD movies too. It is a flat panel
    >monitor with a built in TV tuner. I can watch TV either full screen or in a
    >window.
    I dunno. Might be something with your setup because Mario All-Stars
    still looks decent (not GREAT, but decent) to me. I may just have low
    standards, though :)

    >I read some other reviews of people who found the contrrols more difficult,
    >but I somehow have a feeling it might be better for me. In the store, they
    >don't have them with Mario 64, so I can't really tell unless I buy it.
    Yeah, there's a number of people who hate the DS's controls, and a
    number of people who like it. Personally, I liked it, but its
    impossible to tell which side of the fence you'd be on without being
    able to try it...

    >I read that the touch screen controls the camera angle. I guess it might
    >work. It's going to be a learning curve, but since I'm not an ace Mario
    >expert, I won't mind the changes I suppose.
    You can use the touchscreen to control Mario (/Luigi/Yoshi/Wario),
    too. Using the touch screen gives you some analog-like control over
    Mario's walking/running speed. Since you sometimes need to sneak up
    on things in the game, you can use the touch-screen to walk really
    slow. I had no difficulty getting the same effect by tapping the
    directional pad, though.

    >Thinking back to the days of the original gameboy (we all owned them at some
    >point), that screen was too small. In fact, the Gameboy Advance actually
    >reminds me of that. The screens on the DS are only slightly bigger, but the
    >graphics and color are just breathtaking!
    The PSP's screens put the DS to shame. The PSP costs a hundred bucks
    more, though, and has a whole host of technical problems, so its not
    exactly an undisputed winner...

    >Well drocket, you are doing a fine job =D

    :)

    >Actually, I would imagine it to be easier to beat Bob-omb with Yoshi than
    >trying to get behind him to spin him around, but that's okay I suppose.
    If you mean the Bob-omb king at the top of the mountain in the first
    level, Yoshi can't actually beat him as himself. No hands, you know,
    and the Bob-omb king can only be defeated through an honorable
    wrestling match.

    >It seems that Mario DS requires more strategy this time around because you
    >have to THINK about which character would work best. I might like that.
    >Perhaps Luigi can help me with those impossible jumps.
    Yep, Luigi comes in very handy. I wound up mostly playing as him
    (plus I always just liked Luigi. I enjoy rooting for underdogs, I
    guess...) Mario and Yoshi are also good characters to play for the
    most part. Wario is really the only weak one - he just can't jump
    very well, making him only usable for a few stars specifically
    designed to be found by him.

    >I read that the card matching game from SM3 is back, but you don't actually
    >win anything. I was hoping that the mini-games helped you win power ups.
    The mini-games are pretty much just a seperate thing they tacked on as
    a marketting device to show off what the DS can do. They're pretty
    neat and do show off the DS well, but they don't actually have
    anything to do with the 'real' game.

    >That is cool. Do you win a star if you beat a mini-game?
    No. Actually, most of the mini-games aren't 'beatable'. Most of them
    just play until you mess up, and then it records your high score.

    >Very good. Like I said, with a pair of those tiny Sony headphones that slip
    >inside your ears, that would just complete any adventure.
    Yep. Actually, the DS's built-in speakers are pretty darn good.
    There's 2 of the, one on either side of the screen, so you get stereo
    sound even without headphones.
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    drocket, the King of Nintendo sez to fish:

    >> The screens on the DS are only slightly
    >> bigger, but the graphics and color are
    >> just breathtaking!

    > The PSP's screens put the DS to shame.

    What is the "PSP" and how come I haven't seen a playeable working unit at
    the stores?

    > The PSP costs a hundred bucks more,
    > though, and has a whole host of
    > technical problems, so its not exactly
    > an undisputed winner...

    Good, then because I like the dual screen and I am a Mario fan.

    In fact, I'm surprised that the Nintendo DS doesn't come bundled with Mario
    64 DS.

    >> Very good. Like I said, with a pair of
    >> those tiny Sony headphones that slip
    >> inside your ears , that would just
    >> complete any adventure.

    > Yep. Actually, the DS's built-in
    > speakers are pretty darn good.
    > There's 2 of the, one on either
    > side of the screen, so you get
    > stereo sound even without
    > headphones.

    While that's fine if I'm playing while lying in bed or sitting privately in
    my car waiting for the ice to melt off the windshield, the earphones are a
    must. I am already imagining waiting at the service center while I have my
    car's oil changed, playing Mario while all the other peeps are just sitting
    there wondering what to do.

    The doctor's office is always a long wait, so that would come in very handy.

    This unit is too big to fit in a pocket, unless it's a coat pocket. In the
    summer, I'll have to figure a way to carry it so it looks cool. This is
    interesting.

    As you can tell drocket, I'm about 90% sure of this.

    --
    I am the fish and I approve this message.
    ______________
    =====fish=====
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    Aaron J. Bossig sez to fish:

    > I've found it helps to keep the GBA on me,
    > especially while sitting in waiting rooms at
    > the doctor's office or something.

    I believe that the NDS will be the most technilogicallly advanced portable
    system to beat.

    Sony may have the PSP, but it don't have Mario or the touch screen or the
    dual screen or the fun.

    I've never played a Playstation game and I could care less. They don't have
    Mario!

    > And if your job requires you to travel or
    > something, it's a Godsend. Recently, I
    > found out that some hotels offer N64
    > games, but the cost is a whopping $7
    > an hour!

    I am lucky since I live close enough to New York, I never need a hotel. I
    just hope that the NDS doesn't distract me from meeting women.

    --
    I am the fish and I approve this message.
    ______________
    =====fish=====
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    "fish" <i.am.such.a.fish@atlantic.ocean> wrote in
    news:Pz9Vd.88548$QS5.74698@trndny06:

    >> And if your job requires you to travel or
    >> something, it's a Godsend. Recently, I
    >> found out that some hotels offer N64
    >> games, but the cost is a whopping $7
    >> an hour!
    >
    > I am lucky since I live close enough to New York, I never need a
    > hotel. I just hope that the NDS doesn't distract me from meeting
    > women.

    Heh, think of it as a litmus test. If she won't bother with you
    because she sees the DS, it just wasn't meant to be. My last two
    girlfriends were both avid gamers, and they were extremely rewarding
    relationships. It gives you something in common, and a good bonding
    activity.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    Aaron J. Bossig sez to fish...

    >> I just hope that the NDS doesn't
    >> distract me from meeting women.
    >
    > My last two girlfriends were both avid
    > gamers, and they were extremely
    > rewarding relationships. It gives you
    > something in common, and a good
    > bonding activity.

    You know, last December was a very rewarding month for me and one of the
    many women I was with, I impressed her with Pac-Man on my cell. She was
    playing it, told me it was cool.

    Okay, I can see how it may impress =)

    --
    I am the fish and I approve this message.
    ______________
    =====fish=====
Ask a new question

Read More

Console Gaming Games Nintendo Video Games