Windows Update After XP Upgrade

September 15, 2005 12:28:07 PM

After I upgraded from Windows 2000 to Windows XP Pro SP1, then installed XP
SP2, I attempted to do a Microsoft Update --> the new one...

After 37 updates downloaded, each and everyone of them failed. This was the
error I got.

A problem on your computer is preventing updates from being downloaded or
installed

What is causing this behavior to happen.?

More about : windows update upgrade

September 16, 2005 5:05:50 PM

Hi J,

According to your description, I understand that when you perform Windows
Update, you will receive an error message:
"A problem on your computer is preventing updates from being downloaded or
installed."

Based on my experience, the most common cause of this behavior is due to one
or more of the following conditions:

1. Security programs running in the background interfere with the
installation of Windows updates.
2. Relevant registry entries are not accessible on the particular local
computer.
For instance, the current user doesn¡¯t have the sufficient permission to
access certain entries in the Windows registry.
3. A group policy is blocking the installation of Windows updates.

At this time, let us try the following steps to troubleshoot the problem.
After
finishing each suggestion, please go to the Microsoft Windows Update site
and check
the result there.

Suggestion 1. Check the background programs
========================
Please check if any of the following programs are currently installed on the
computer that has the issue:

Sygate Personal Firewall
Norton Internet Security
Freedom Firewall
Zone Alarm Firewall

If they are, please temporarily turn them off and check the result on
Microsoft Windows Update Website. If you encounter problems disabling these
programs, I recommend completely uninstalling the programs from the
computer. Please be advised that before disabling the security program, it
is recommended to turn on the Windows XP built-in firewall (Internet
Connection Firewall) first to secure the computer. To do this, refer to the
following steps:

1. Click Start, click on the Control Panel, double-click Networking and
Internet Connections, and then click Network Connections.
2. Right-click the connection where you would like to enable the ICF, and
then click Properties.
3. On the Advanced tab, click the box to select the option to protect my
computer or network.

Suggestion 2. Verify the permission of the relevant registry entries
========================
1. Click Start->Run.
2. Input REGEDIT and click OK.
3. Right click on the HKEY-Local-Machine and click permissions.
4. Click Add, input everyone in the pop window and click apply.
5. Check if everyone in the user names has the full control check on the
allow array.
6. Click Okay to exit and restart to see if it works.

Suggestion 3. Verify Group policy
========================
1. Click Start->Run.
2. Input REGEDIT and click OK.
3. Check the following keys are present.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies

4. If they are, right click these keys one by one and choose export to back
them up respectively.
5. Delete the above keys.
6. Restart the computer and check if the problem is resolved.

However, if the behavior persists, I would like to check the following
points on your side:

1. Is the computer currently residing in a company network (LAN) or domain
environment?
2. Is the computer connected to the Internet via another computer, router or
proxy?
3. Are you installing update from the Windows Update website?

In addition, in order to perform further research, please gather the
following information for me.

#1 Steps to capture a Screenshot
======
1. Keep the error message on screen.
2. Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.
3. Click Start, click Run, type MSPAINT, and click OK.
4. In the Paint program, click the Edit menu, click Paste, click the File
menu, and click Save.
5. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File
name:" box, for example: test.
6. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as
type" box.

#2 System Information
===============
1. Press Start, Run and type in msinfo32. Press OK.
2. Choose Save from the File menu and save it as an NFO file.
3. Find the file, right-click on this file, click "Send To", and click
"Compressed (zipped) Folder".

#3 Windows Update Log
===============
1. Click Start->Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.
2. Locate a file named "WindowsUpdate.log". Please be aware that there may
be another file named "Windows Update.log". I am requesting the file without
a space in the middle of the name.

My E-mail address is : < v-adapan@microsoft.com >.

Please try the suggestion and update me with the needed information at your
earliest convenience. We look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Ada Pan

Microsoft Online Partner Support