Windows Update After XP Upgrade

After I upgraded from Windows 2000 to Windows XP Pro SP1, then installed XP
SP2, I attempted to do a Microsoft Update --> the new one...

After 37 updates downloaded, each and everyone of them failed. This was the
error I got.

A problem on your computer is preventing updates from being downloaded or
installed

What is causing this behavior to happen.?

More about windows update upgrade

    Hi J,

    According to your description, I understand that when you perform Windows
    Update, you will receive an error message:
    "A problem on your computer is preventing updates from being downloaded or
    installed."

    Based on my experience, the most common cause of this behavior is due to one
    or more of the following conditions:

    1. Security programs running in the background interfere with the
    installation of Windows updates.
    2. Relevant registry entries are not accessible on the particular local
    computer.
    For instance, the current user doesn¡¯t have the sufficient permission to
    access certain entries in the Windows registry.
    3. A group policy is blocking the installation of Windows updates.

    At this time, let us try the following steps to troubleshoot the problem.
    After
    finishing each suggestion, please go to the Microsoft Windows Update site
    and check
    the result there.

    Suggestion 1. Check the background programs
    ========================
    Please check if any of the following programs are currently installed on the
    computer that has the issue:

    Sygate Personal Firewall
    Norton Internet Security
    Freedom Firewall
    Zone Alarm Firewall

    If they are, please temporarily turn them off and check the result on
    Microsoft Windows Update Website. If you encounter problems disabling these
    programs, I recommend completely uninstalling the programs from the
    computer. Please be advised that before disabling the security program, it
    is recommended to turn on the Windows XP built-in firewall (Internet
    Connection Firewall) first to secure the computer. To do this, refer to the
    following steps:

    1. Click Start, click on the Control Panel, double-click Networking and
    Internet Connections, and then click Network Connections.
    2. Right-click the connection where you would like to enable the ICF, and
    then click Properties.
    3. On the Advanced tab, click the box to select the option to protect my
    computer or network.

    Suggestion 2. Verify the permission of the relevant registry entries
    ========================
    1. Click Start->Run.
    2. Input REGEDIT and click OK.
    3. Right click on the HKEY-Local-Machine and click permissions.
    4. Click Add, input everyone in the pop window and click apply.
    5. Check if everyone in the user names has the full control check on the
    allow array.
    6. Click Okay to exit and restart to see if it works.

    Suggestion 3. Verify Group policy
    ========================
    1. Click Start->Run.
    2. Input REGEDIT and click OK.
    3. Check the following keys are present.

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies

    4. If they are, right click these keys one by one and choose export to back
    them up respectively.
    5. Delete the above keys.
    6. Restart the computer and check if the problem is resolved.

    However, if the behavior persists, I would like to check the following
    points on your side:

    1. Is the computer currently residing in a company network (LAN) or domain
    environment?
    2. Is the computer connected to the Internet via another computer, router or
    proxy?
    3. Are you installing update from the Windows Update website?

    In addition, in order to perform further research, please gather the
    following information for me.

    #1 Steps to capture a Screenshot
    ======
    1. Keep the error message on screen.
    2. Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.
    3. Click Start, click Run, type MSPAINT, and click OK.
    4. In the Paint program, click the Edit menu, click Paste, click the File
    menu, and click Save.
    5. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File
    name:" box, for example: test.
    6. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as
    type" box.

    #2 System Information
    ===============
    1. Press Start, Run and type in msinfo32. Press OK.
    2. Choose Save from the File menu and save it as an NFO file.
    3. Find the file, right-click on this file, click "Send To", and click
    "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

    #3 Windows Update Log
    ===============
    1. Click Start->Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.
    2. Locate a file named "WindowsUpdate.log". Please be aware that there may
    be another file named "Windows Update.log". I am requesting the file without
    a space in the middle of the name.

    My E-mail address is : < v-adapan@microsoft.com >.

    Please try the suggestion and update me with the needed information at your
    earliest convenience. We look forward to hearing from you.

    Regards,

    Ada Pan

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    "Smurfman" <smurfman@news.postalias> wrote in message
    > After I upgraded from Windows 2000 to Windows XP Pro SP1, then installed
    > XP
    > SP2, I attempted to do a Microsoft Update --> the new one...
    >
    > After 37 updates downloaded, each and everyone of them failed. This was
    > the
    > error I got.
    >
    > A problem on your computer is preventing updates from being downloaded or
    > installed
    >
    > What is causing this behavior to happen.?

Windows Update Microsoft Windows XP