How to network 2 xp computers through wireless router ?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
June 11, 2004 2:19:01 AM

Maybe this is the wrong newsgroup for this post but it has got quite a lot
to do with wireless so ill put it here anyway. If it is in the wrong place
please ignore it and accept my apologies!

Anyway.....

I'm pretty new to networking and havent got a clue how to get windows to
allow file sharing between two xp computers on a network. Could anyone help
me out?

I have a wireless router which has a built in modem and connects to the
internet and atcs as a gateway. A computer is connected to this router
through one of the built in lan ports.

At the other end of the wireless part is my computer which connects to the
internet by going through the wireless connection and through the gateway
(maybe this is obvious but i dont know too much about it all...much
apologies)

Everything works fine but both computers are set to share music folders to
each other but neither computer shows up in the netork folder.

I'm not sure what information i need to give you but i know that we have the
computers set to the same workgroup name and these are screengrabs from the
router setup:

http://www.happylobster.co.uk/images/one.jpg

http://www.happylobster.co.uk/images/two.jpg

Maybe there is too much for me to be told here, a setup walkthrough kind of
thing would be handy...

Many thanks for your help,

Regards,

Dan Bowles
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 11, 2004 4:34:13 AM

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 22:19:01 +0100, "Dan"
<dan23@happyREMOVElobster.co.uk> wrote:

>Maybe this is the wrong newsgroup for this post but it has got quite a lot
>to do with wireless so ill put it here anyway. If it is in the wrong place
>please ignore it and accept my apologies!
>
>Anyway.....
>
>I'm pretty new to networking and havent got a clue how to get windows to
>allow file sharing between two xp computers on a network. Could anyone help
>me out?
>
>I have a wireless router which has a built in modem and connects to the
>internet and atcs as a gateway. A computer is connected to this router
>through one of the built in lan ports.
>
>At the other end of the wireless part is my computer which connects to the
>internet by going through the wireless connection and through the gateway
>(maybe this is obvious but i dont know too much about it all...much
>apologies)
>
>Everything works fine but both computers are set to share music folders to
>each other but neither computer shows up in the netork folder.
>
>I'm not sure what information i need to give you but i know that we have the
>computers set to the same workgroup name and these are screengrabs from the
>router setup:
>
>http://www.happylobster.co.uk/images/one.jpg
>
>http://www.happylobster.co.uk/images/two.jpg
>
>Maybe there is too much for me to be told here, a setup walkthrough kind of
>thing would be handy...
>
>Many thanks for your help,
>
>Regards,
>
>Dan Bowles
Okay first you must put them in the same workgroup, right click my
computer, properties, computer name, change.
Then you must double click my computer and share the drive, do a right
click on the drive icon and click on sharing and security, under
network sharing and security, check yes you want to share the folder
on the network, put the drive letter in the box, and then if you chose
put a check in the allow network users to change my files box.
Then go back and right click on my network places, click on
properties, right click on local area connection, click on properties,
click on the advanced tab at the top and then remove the check from
the box for the firewall.
Doo al lthis to the other computer and then after all this reboot the
two computers and you should be on the net and on the other computer.
You can reboot one while working on the other.