XP wont start, if I reload windows. will I encounter the s..

September 15, 2005 5:32:04 PM

Ok heres the thing: A few days ago my pc wouldnt start. it started to load on
the XP logo screen - progress bar moves across - then stops. so I use the
power button to restart, which gives the option for safe mode etc. Ive tried
system restore, scanning, starting up using boot disk. still not happening.
Question I have is if I use the utility to reload the pc "as I bought it" ...
will I get the same problem? I dont want to go to the trouble of reloading
windows, software etc. (I only made a boot disk after this problem begun;
will this have any bearing on reloading windows?)

I hope somebody can help?
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 8:16:01 PM

Using the option for reloading windows will work and you will not have the
problems again just make sure you install and always update anti-virus and
anti-spyware programs and run regular scans all the time. Also right click on
my computer on the desktop and go to properties and go to the system restore
tab and make sure you turn off the system restore so it dosen't save nasty
viruses or any spyware after you clean it. Let me know how it works out. ok
thanks
--
Reply back and let me know how it goes. Don''t forget to select yes if this
was helpful on my post. I always like helping out people with there problems.

Matthew Senecal

"GBX" wrote:

> Ok heres the thing: A few days ago my pc wouldnt start. it started to load on
> the XP logo screen - progress bar moves across - then stops. so I use the
> power button to restart, which gives the option for safe mode etc. Ive tried
> system restore, scanning, starting up using boot disk. still not happening.
> Question I have is if I use the utility to reload the pc "as I bought it" ...
> will I get the same problem? I dont want to go to the trouble of reloading
> windows, software etc. (I only made a boot disk after this problem begun;
> will this have any bearing on reloading windows?)
>
> I hope somebody can help?
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 12:39:40 AM

GBX <GBX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Ok heres the thing: A few days ago my pc wouldnt start. it started to load on
>the XP logo screen - progress bar moves across - then stops. so I use the
>power button to restart, which gives the option for safe mode etc. Ive tried
>system restore, scanning, starting up using boot disk. still not happening.
>Question I have is if I use the utility to reload the pc "as I bought it" ...
>will I get the same problem? I dont want to go to the trouble of reloading
>windows, software etc. (I only made a boot disk after this problem begun;
>will this have any bearing on reloading windows?)
>
>I hope somebody can help?

If the cause of your problem is software related then a complete
wipeout and reload of Windows will almost certainly resolve the issue,

If the cause of your problem is hardware related then a complete
wipeout and reload of Windows will do nothing about your problem.

Unfortunately there is no way of determining which type of problem
(hardware or software) your computer is suffering from, at least not
based on the information that you have provided so far.

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode? If the computer will boot into
Safe Mode then that tends to tip the odds in favor of a software
related cause, as hardware problems would still be present in Safe
Mode *unless* the problem device is something that is not available in
Safe Mode (printer, scanner, modem, sound card, etc).

And if you can't boot into Safe Mode how did you manage to use System
Restore? Did you perhaps use the computer manufactuer's System
Recovery procedure, which generally means a wipeout and reload of
Windows?

Hope this is of some assistance.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
September 16, 2005 9:12:03 AM

Hi Matthew, thanks for your response. I am thinking reloading is the way to
go. Question I have is about system restore: Why turn it off? Yes I
understand the problems with viruses etc.. but why have a utility on the pc
if you cant use it for safety against viruses?

"Matthew Senecal" wrote:

> Using the option for reloading windows will work and you will not have the
> problems again just make sure you install and always update anti-virus and
> anti-spyware programs and run regular scans all the time. Also right click on
> my computer on the desktop and go to properties and go to the system restore
> tab and make sure you turn off the system restore so it dosen't save nasty
> viruses or any spyware after you clean it. Let me know how it works out. ok
> thanks
> --
> Reply back and let me know how it goes. Don''t forget to select yes if this
> was helpful on my post. I always like helping out people with there problems.
> Thanks
>
> Matthew Senecal
>

> "GBX" wrote:
>
> > Ok heres the thing: A few days ago my pc wouldnt start. it started to load on
> > the XP logo screen - progress bar moves across - then stops. so I use the
> > power button to restart, which gives the option for safe mode etc. Ive tried
> > system restore, scanning, starting up using boot disk. still not happening.
> > Question I have is if I use the utility to reload the pc "as I bought it" ...
> > will I get the same problem? I dont want to go to the trouble of reloading
> > windows, software etc. (I only made a boot disk after this problem begun;
> > will this have any bearing on reloading windows?)
> >
> > I hope somebody can help?
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 9:25:02 AM

Hi Ron, thank you for your response. I am willing to reload windows. I have a
usb drive and have taken any files needed from the pc using "safe mode with
networking" so that sets me free from losing anything I didnt want to.

I understand that hardware issues are not easily noticed.
I tried system restore: which worked the first time, but upon other attempts
it didnt work. When the pc restarts after restoring, it goes to reboot into
normal mode and freezes. so I get the pc into safe mode and the restore
window appears saying that it failed.

Im not sure if you can help on this question, but ill ask anyway :D  ... the
boot disks I created to reload windows uses the fujitsu siemens utility.
Would a complete clean out of the hard drive help with a system reload or
should I just use the utility to reload?

Thanks for your time Ron,

Gaz
"Ron Martell" wrote:
!