I uninstalled Cyber Scrub Professionl Suite v. 4 and it left behind a
persistent devil--cybshell.dll It can be seen in Process Explorer displays
hiding in explorer.exe in the startup list. I cannot see it running in Task
Manager. HiJack This doesn't see it either. Yet I can't delete it. I get
the usual XP admonition "Cannot deleter cybshell: Access is denied--Make
sure that the disk is not write-protected or that the file is in use."

How do I kill this thing? I run XP Home SP2 with all patches and updates.
--
Thank you for your help,

Scholastica

In article <36C251A2-CD33-40C5-B2F9-18308568AA6B@microsoft.com>,
Scholastica@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> I uninstalled Cyber Scrub Professionl Suite v. 4 and it left behind a
> persistent devil--cybshell.dll It can be seen in Process Explorer displays
> hiding in explorer.exe in the startup list. I cannot see it running in Task
> Manager. HiJack This doesn't see it either. Yet I can't delete it. I get
> the usual XP admonition "Cannot deleter cybshell: Access is denied--Make
> sure that the disk is not write-protected or that the file is in use."
>
> How do I kill this thing? I run XP Home SP2 with all patches and updates.

First, reboot into SAFE MODE, then try add/remove programs to see if
it's there or the app that installed it.

Next, find the offending file using AdAware or SpyBot Search & Destroy
scans IN SAFE MODE, then if all else fails, while in safe mode, delete
the file - you may have to edit the registry to remove the entry that
tries to load it.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Good call. I just rebooted in Safe Mode and deleted the thing. It's
history. I neglected to say that I had a copy of the file to kill, just
couldn't get to the running thing. Actually, I had the path but there was
nothing there. It was just stuck in an old Program temp fie(Program~1)
Anyhow it's gone and I thank you.
--
Thank you for your help,

--
Thank you for your help,

Scholastica

In article <3D8393D0-853A-4DB4-9FB1-52E406790929@microsoft.com>,
Scholastica@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> Good call. I just rebooted in Safe Mode and deleted the thing. It's
> history. I neglected to say that I had a copy of the file to kill, just
> couldn't get to the running thing. Actually, I had the path but there was
> nothing there. It was just stuck in an old Program temp fie(Program~1)
> Anyhow it's gone and I thank you.
>
> Thank you for your help,

Glad we could help.