Sign in with
Your question

Some cash to spend, on what?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 17, 2002 12:03:11 PM

I am at a loss here and I turn to you for advice.
Currently I am a proud [Being sarcastic here] owner of a Geforce2Mx200 card which gives me headaches due to poor performance.

I want to pair my XP1600 with a fairly decent graphic card, I don´t want to spend a fortune, at most $150-200.

I have been looking at a Geforce3Ti200 card for some time now but since I browsed thru a couple of benchmark test at Toms Hardware I´m not that sure any longer.
<A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/02q2/020409/geforc..." target="_new">Benchmark</A>

I know that you should beware of anything that has a "Mx" attached to it, but looking at the benchmarks you can see that a Geforce4Mx460 beats the Ti200.
I really don´t care if the Geforce3 is more advanced than the Mx version of the Geforce4, what matter is which card is the better one when talking framerates, gaming
and some work with 3D apps.

Finally, which card is the better when it comes to overclocking?
Hmmm, that´s all I can think of for now, please feel free to post your opinions.

<font color=blue>Be yourself, do whatever <font color=red>you</font color=red> like</font color=blue> (Not at my expense though)

More about : cash spend

April 17, 2002 2:27:01 PM

you should wait for the upcoming geforce4ti 4200 which is officially priced at 179to 199 $.or if yopu are in a hurry to get rid of geforce2 mx 200 then buy hercules radeon 8500 le which costs around 150 $ but remember to upgrade to the latest ati drivers.
April 17, 2002 3:31:35 PM

Right now, the best buy under $200 is the R8500.

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks."
Related resources
April 17, 2002 11:30:34 PM

actually....id beg the differ...the gf4 ti4200 seems to be outperforming the R8500 right now...
the 64mb version of the ti4200 performs better than the 128mb version...and it costs less.
the gf4 ti4200 64mb is supposed to have a retail price of about $180...
but if you look around online...you could probably find one for almost the price of the R8500 (but it'll be slightly higher of course)...

<b><font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s drivers are like a broken faucet, they both keep on leaking...</b> :cool:
April 17, 2002 11:36:18 PM

Ummmm..... the Ti4200 isn't out yet. Maybe not until end of April. When the Ti4200 does come out, it'll have some competition in the 8500XT which should be out shortly also. These two should go basically head to head. 64MB version is to retail @ $179US and the 128MB version @ $199US. Beware that the 128MB mem is rated @ 444MHz. The 64MB version @ 500MHz.
April 17, 2002 11:46:14 PM

my mistake...you said that the R8500 is the best buy <b>right now</b>...
i didnt see that part...if you were to buy a card now...ill agree that the R8500 is the best bang for the buck...
anyways...as for the different memory speeds on the ti4200...one website (anandtech i think) said that spending the extra $20 to buy the 128mb of the ti4200 is a better choice because even though the ram is slower...you can always overclock it to the 500mhz while with the 64mb version...you cant install more ram...

<b><font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s drivers are like a broken faucet, they both keep on leaking...</b> :cool:
April 18, 2002 1:03:53 AM

Yeah and a lot of the newer games use up a lot of mem for their pixel/vertex shaders. (Typing with one hand sooo slow. Eating apple with other! :lol:  )
April 18, 2002 9:13:35 AM

Hmmm, ok...thanks for the input folks.
I think I wait a couple of weeks before I buy something that I will regret.
It´s probably wise to wait and see how much the Ti4200 will cost when it arrives here in Sweden (Add $50 to whatever it costs in the States)
As for the Radeon8500, not sure about that card.
It´s probably a good performer, but after reading posts here at THGC, I´m a bit sceptic.
I just want a card that works for all applications and games without any fuzz. (go ahead and slap my face for that statement, :smile: )

<font color=blue>Be yourself, do whatever <font color=red>you</font color=red> like</font color=blue> (Not at my expense though)
April 18, 2002 12:13:42 PM

Quote:

(go ahead and slap my face for that statement, )

Slap! :tongue:

j/k

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
April 18, 2002 12:51:20 PM

Lol, you could´nt resist could you!?
Any one else up for some slapping while I´m in a good mood?

April 18, 2002 12:56:53 PM

Quote:

Lol, you could´nt resist could you!?

Yup, me love me R8500. :tongue: nVidia good too! Jumpity jump!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
April 18, 2002 8:24:55 PM

Nope, the <b>SLAP</b> comes when you are not expecting it.

It's interesting how well the Geforce4 MX460 does in THG's reviews vs Anandtech's reviews. In the latter the Geforce3 Ti200 is considerably better. One thing about the Anandtech review, the MX440 is extremely close in performance to the MX460 and the MX440 is priced as low as $85 in the States.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>
April 18, 2002 8:28:44 PM

The GF4MX460 maybe as good as the TI200 in current games, but it's safe to say the TI200 will be on top in the games of the near future.

April 18, 2002 9:15:12 PM

Quote:
it's safe to say the TI200 will be on top in the games of the near future.

I'm sorry but I disagree. nVidia has been on a 10 to 12-month, major product cycle since the days of the TNT. That's the TNT 1. Typically, 4 to 6 months after a major release, nVidia releases something like an Ultra series which has faster memory and sometimes a faster core but is basically the same thing. You can trace this pattern back to the end of 1997. I don't think anything is going to change. Less than one year from now nVidia will have something so much faster than what we have today. Bet on it! Only those cards will meet the full demands of the games of that time. Everything else will run the games with some features reduced or disabled.

My advice, buy your video cards for your current demands, not for what you think you will need tomorrow. When your card no longer meets your demands then buy something else. If you need every bell and whistle then choose one of the Geforce4 Ti series. If shimmering water and perfectly reflective surfaces aren't important to you but FSAA at 1024x768 on a budget is important to you then buy a Geforce4 MX. If only framerates are important and maximum detail isn't then you can do with even less.

Face it. There are different kinds of people. Some people have to have the best. In a year they will buy the best again. Others fall into the just-good-enough category. They probably will follow the same pattern. In year they will buy something new only at 1/4 the expense(or less) of the other guy. Both people want something better but the degree differs. Doesn't mean that they won't be happy, not one bit.

Most people are somewhere in between.

April 18, 2002 9:56:41 PM

Umm, ok....

You're telling him to get a new card every 6 months instead of getting a Ti200 that should last quite a bit longer than the GF4MX? The GF3 was architecturally superior the GF2, but the GF4MX is inferior to the GF3. Even if you can get away with software rendering of these visual effects at decent performance, would you really want to sacrifice IQ for a couple of extra FPS and a couple of dollars less? The GF3Ti200 is clearly the better deal over the GF4MX.

April 18, 2002 11:01:15 PM

WTF is wrong with you? I said RIGHT NOW the R8500 is the best buy under $200. The 4200 is not yet available.

Do you understand what NOW means?

April 19, 2002 2:22:34 AM

Quote:
You're telling him to get a new card every 6 months instead of getting a Ti200 that should last quite a bit longer than the GF4MX? The GF3 was architecturally superior the GF2, but the GF4MX is inferior to the GF3. Even if you can get away with software rendering of these visual effects at decent performance, would you really want to sacrifice IQ for a couple of extra FPS and a couple of dollars less? The GF3Ti200 is clearly the better deal over the GF4MX.

Excuse me, just where did I recommend that anyone buy a new card every six months?

What I said is video cards become obsolete in just one short year. It doesn't matter what you buy today a year from now you will have the same pressure to move forward. If you have card that is a year old it will be slow compared to what's available currently, and will downright pale in comparison to what's available on the horizon. That's what I said.

Where did I recommend any card in this thread?

The closest I came was this, "In the latter [the Anandtech review] the Geforce3 Ti200 is considerably better. One thing about the Anandtech review, the MX440 is extremely close in performance to the MX460 and the MX440 is priced as low as $85 in the States."

Jake75 was discussing his qualms over buying a Geforce3 Ti200 because a recent THG review made the MX460 seem favorable. I gave a link to the other review to point out that it puts the Geforce3 Ti200 in a better light.

I also stated that the Geforce4 MX440 seems to perform nearly as well as the MX460. I was implying if one wants to go this route that the less expensive version may be a better value. Furthermore, I mentioned the MX440 is as cheap as $85.

Now AMD_Man, Tell me how you can even compare an $85 MX440 with a $120 Geforce3 Ti200? You can't because they have different prices and different features.

Now, just for the record. How often do you upgrade video cards? For myself, just as I indicated, I upgrade about once a year. I want to hear how you always buy the best and it lasts you well more than a year because you've made such a wise decision.

Am I sorry I didn't buy a Geforce3 for $500 when they came out? No, not one bit. I will be skipping the Geforce3 line entirely and will go with a Geforce4 Ti200 and probably spend less than $160. In my mind, I saved $340.

Frankly, I'd rather have Geforce4 Ti200 now that I can use it rather than the Geforce3 earlier when I didn't need it.

You're argument is that Geforce4 MX isn't good enough to consider purchasing. One could argue the same thing about Geforce3 Ti200 since something better is already available.

For my last comment I want to mention that Jake75 has an MX-200. Everything is better than this. Regardless of what he buys, it's value depends on his criteria not yours.

April 19, 2002 7:41:33 AM

not everything... i play on a tnt2. i even played wolf and mohaa on that mofo! thats all you get for free beotches!
but serioulsy... now that i got my tax return i can finally afford a new card. but hell itll prolly take me another month just to sift through all the garbage and figure out what the best buy is.
if anyone wants to offer up an opinion... i have in my box:
Asus a7v133a
1.2 AMD TB
384 MB PCI133
SB Live 5.1
and my pride and joy... RIVA TNT2 M64! w00t!

I will eventually upgrage my mobo and chip but prolly not for another year.
April 19, 2002 5:23:47 PM

You have plenty of computing power with that Tbird 1.2. I would think you could use any video card you want.

The Geforce4 Ti4200 is looking pretty good at $179 retail, maybe $150-$160 discounted. It will be out in a couple of weeks. If you got the money to spend the Ti4400 is about $230 ($299 retail). The Ti4600 is about $325 ($399 retail). These are the fastest cards you can currently buy.

Just make sure your power supply has enough juice. Look for at least 30 amps on each of the +3.3 volt and +5 volt rails, especially the +5 volt rail.

April 19, 2002 6:16:43 PM

I'm sorry for jumping on you. I'm also sorry that I bought a R8500 not too long ago. I'm happy with it, but it looks like the 4200 will be a better performer for not too much more cash.

Maybe the performance of the retail 4200 cards will be less than Tom's sample, and new ATI drivers will boost the R8500's performance by the time the 4200's come out, LOL.

Oh well...

April 19, 2002 6:19:33 PM

did you even read my second post?
its like 2 posts down from my 1st one...

<b><font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s drivers are like a broken faucet, they both keep on leaking...</b> :cool: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by pr497 on 04/19/02 02:21 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
!