Games + Video Editing

CoolBarn

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2002
Hi Everyone,

I may be purchasing a new computer sometime over the next few months and was hoping for some advice. The PC is going to be used primarily for gaming, so I'll want a top of the range (or close to) graphics card. However, I'd also like to be able to watch TV and record various videos in my collection to keep on CD as well. So my question is exactly what items will I need to be able to do all of this? I know the ATI AIW 8500 DV is supposed to be a very impressive card, but I'm wondering if it will handle the gaming side of things sufficiently. Conversely I know that Nvidia is king when it comes to gaming, but if I'm going to need too many extra pieces of hardware to be able to record videos then maybe financially it isn't a viable option. My budget is likely to be $3000 Aussie Dollars, which is about $1500 US.

Thanks guys, I look forward to reading your replies.

huges911

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
Hi Coolbarn, I've been looking for video card like u do, gaming and video editing. Personally I prefer Nvidia so I've been looking for VGA cards with video or S-video in/out. I found one which is pretty good. COMPRO Personal Cinema or Visiontek Personal Cinema.U might have seen 'personal cinema' this thing from the nvidia homepage but barly see any product of it.

It has video in/out, built in TV tuner, and also a remote with Ti500 chipset. u might check www.comprousa.com

Price is around $300

As GF4 has come out, $300 for Ti500 is kinda expensive ( at least I think so). If u don't have to want the TV tuner, there would be a lot more choices. (just with video in/out) Maybe something like Gainward or MSI Ti4400 with video in/out is just around $260. If u can find a cheap TV tuner, those would be good choices. Check the prices from www.pricewatch.com or www.newegg.com

Huges911

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
The R8500DV is the best of the best in terms of multimedia and it matches the GF3Ti200 to GF3 in performance.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor