Is windows service pack XP3 a Hoax ?

this is where your supposed to be to check for XP updates
http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

This is where you get to if you click on the top update button instead of
the express/custom button in the middle
http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/muoptdefault.aspx?ln=en&returnurl=http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

peterk

"Tanman" <tanman@example.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Today I went to check for window updates and I'm
> taken to a place where supose there is a Windows
> Sevice Pack Xp3. Can someone tell me if this is legitimate.
> I started to down load it but I canceled.
> This is the page it takes me.
> http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

What is the EXACT name of the update?
There is no Windows XP SP-3 but there is a SP-3 for Office XP.
Do you have ANY components of Office XP such as Microsoft Word?
If so, it is normal to get the SP.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Tanman" <tanman@example.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Today I went to check for window updates and I'm
> taken to a place where supose there is a Windows
> Sevice Pack Xp3. Can someone tell me if this is legitimate.
> I started to down load it but I canceled.
> This is the page it takes me.
> http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

tanman

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2004

Yes Jupiter you are so right! The name of the update is office xp service
pack 3
I'm sorry to all of you, I got all confused with Windows XP and Office XP.
Thank you very much to all your help and teaching me somthing new.
Tanman

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> What is the EXACT name of the update?
> There is no Windows XP SP-3 but there is a SP-3 for Office XP.
> Do you have ANY components of Office XP such as Microsoft Word?
> If so, it is normal to get the SP.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Tanman" <tanman@example.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > Today I went to check for window updates and I'm
> > taken to a place where supose there is a Windows
> > Sevice Pack Xp3. Can someone tell me if this is legitimate.
> > I started to down load it but I canceled.
> > This is the page it takes me.
> > http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

If MS OfficeXP is installed, it most likely referring to it. OfficeXP is at SP3 level.

Here's direct link to the Office online page.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdate/default.aspx

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

Tanman wrote:
> Hi,
> Today I went to check for window updates and I'm
> taken to a place where supose there is a Windows
> Sevice Pack Xp3. Can someone tell me if this is
> legitimate. I started to down load it but I canceled.
> This is the page it takes me.
> http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

Jim

"Tanman" <tanman@example.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Today I went to check for window updates and I'm
> taken to a place where supose there is a Windows
> Sevice Pack Xp3. Can someone tell me if this is legitimate.
> I started to down load it but I canceled.
> This is the page it takes me.
> http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us
That is the location of the update to Microsoft Update.
You should be looking at the site for Windows Update.
There is no "XP3" or SP3 for XP as yet (and perhaps never).
Jim

Jim;
There is nothing wrong with Microsoft Update, in fact if you use Microsoft
Update, there is no reason to use Windows Update.
Microsoft Update has all the updates of Windows Update as well as updates
for Microsoft Office Etc.