3. Super Mario Bros
4. Super Mario Bros 2
5. Simon's Quest
6. Ultima Exodus
7. Metroid
8. Legend of Zelda
9. Burgertime
10. Paperboy

I'm recently got an NES and access to lots of old games and I'm looking
for recommendations.
--
Mac Cool
12 answers Last reply

    "Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
    > here are my tops:
    >
    > 1. Super Mario Bros 3
    > 2. Tetris
    > 3. Super Mario Bros
    > 4. Super Mario Bros 2
    > 5. Simon's Quest
    > 6. Ultima Exodus
    > 7. Metroid
    > 8. Legend of Zelda
    > 9. Burgertime
    > 10. Paperboy
    >

    > I'm recently got an NES and access to lots of old games and I'm looking
    > for recommendations.
    > --
    > Mac Cool

    Why Exodus? I havent p[layed it, just wondeirng what its like?
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    "Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
    > here are my tops:
    >
    > 1. Super Mario Bros 3
    > 2. Tetris
    > 3. Super Mario Bros
    > 4. Super Mario Bros 2
    > 5. Simon's Quest
    > 6. Ultima Exodus
    > 7. Metroid
    > 8. Legend of Zelda
    > 9. Burgertime
    > 10. Paperboy
    >

    > I'm recently got an NES and access to lots of old games and I'm looking
    > for recommendations.

    Super Dodgeball didn't make your list but Burgertime did?

    --
    figmentPez
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    Lorfarius:

    > Why Exodus? I havent p[layed it, just wondeirng what its like?

    Because I haven't played many NES games and it is among the better I've
    played. It's a primitive RPG where you control 4 characters who can either
    be a warrior, wizard, cleric, thief, barbarian or ranger (+ a few more).
    You have an overhead view and travel through cities, dungeons and the
    countryside fighting turn-based battles to earn experience points to level
    up so that you can fight more difficult monsters.

    http://mikesrpgcenter.com/ultima3/walkthrough.html
    --
    Mac Cool
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    figmentPez:

    > Super Dodgeball didn't make your list

    Is that a recommendation? Because that's what I'm looking for,
    recommendations.
    --
    Mac Cool
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    > figmentPez:
    >
    >> Super Dodgeball didn't make your list
    >
    > Is that a recommendation? Because that's what I'm looking for,
    > recommendations.

    Yes, Super Dodgeball is one of the best games from the NES era.

    That and Duck Hunt are pretty much the only games I ever replay on the NES.

    --
    figmentPez
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    "Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
    > here are my tops:
    >
    > 1. Super Mario Bros 3
    > 2. Tetris
    > 3. Super Mario Bros
    > 4. Super Mario Bros 2
    > 5. Simon's Quest
    > 6. Ultima Exodus
    > 7. Metroid
    > 8. Legend of Zelda
    > 9. Burgertime
    > 10. Paperboy
    >

    > I'm recently got an NES and access to lots of old games and I'm looking
    > for recommendations.
    > --
    > Mac Cool

    The games that made my top 10 but not yours are Bionic Commando, Zelda II,
    Castlevania III, Mega Man 2, Metal Gear, Life Force, Contra and Kid Icarus.
    Not too far behind are RC Pro-AM, Dragon Warrior 4, and Punch-Out!!.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    "mganai" <lecter414@earthlink.net> wrote in

    > "Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
    >> here are my tops:
    >>
    >> 1. Super Mario Bros 3
    >> 2. Tetris
    >> 3. Super Mario Bros
    >> 4. Super Mario Bros 2
    >> 5. Simon's Quest
    >> 6. Ultima Exodus
    >> 7. Metroid
    >> 8. Legend of Zelda
    >> 9. Burgertime
    >> 10. Paperboy
    >>

    >> I'm recently got an NES and access to lots of old games and I'm
    >> looking for recommendations.
    >> --
    >> Mac Cool
    >
    > The games that made my top 10 but not yours are Bionic Commando, Zelda
    > II, Castlevania III, Mega Man 2, Metal Gear, Life Force, Contra and
    > Kid Icarus. Not too far behind are RC Pro-AM, Dragon Warrior 4, and
    > Punch-Out!!.

    Not counting what's already been mentioned:

    1-Battletoads
    2-Ninja Gaiden II
    3-TMNT II: The Arcade Game
    4-Batman
    5-Maniac Mansion (if you like weird stuff)
    6-Bee 52
    7-Spot
    8-Crystalis
    9-Clash at Deamonhead (Okay, I haven't played this one that much, but I
    was surprised at how good it was)
    10-Chip N Dale

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    figmentPez:

    > Yes, Super Dodgeball is one of the best games from the NES era.

    I'll see if we have it at work and I'll borrow it out.
    --
    Mac Cool
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    On 15 Mar 2005 06:54:07 GMT, Mac Cool <Mac@2cool.com> wrote:

    >here are my tops:
    >
    >1. Super Mario Bros 3
    >2. Tetris
    >3. Super Mario Bros
    >4. Super Mario Bros 2
    >5. Simon's Quest
    >6. Ultima Exodus
    >7. Metroid
    >8. Legend of Zelda
    >9. Burgertime
    >10. Paperboy
    >
    >I'm recently got an NES and access to lots of old games and I'm looking
    >for recommendations.

    You MUST add Dragon Warrior to the list. I LOVE that game. It is,
    without a doubt, my favorite game ever on any system. I've played and
    beaten it more times that can be healthy. Dragon Warrior 4 is a close
    second, as well, followed by 2 and 3.

    I'd also recommend Final Fantasy. Any game that can spawn a series
    that's lasted as long and remained as popular as the FF series
    definitely deserves a place on the 'best' list.

    Although at least some of these have already been mentioned:
    Megaman (2 and 3 especially)
    Ninja Gaiden
    River City Ransom
    Kid Icarus
    Duck Tales (no, really)
    A Boy and his Blob
    Romance of the Three Kingdoms
    Guardian Legend
    Crystalis
    Willow (so bad its good)
    Gilligan's Island (joking)

    The NES had slews of truly great games.
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    I'm gonna suggest an alternative title for every game you have there,
    that way the games I suggest will still be within what you like you
    play

    > >1. Super Mario Bros 3 <-- Ummm....okay you win on this one. There are no alternatives to this one.
    > >2. Tetris <--Dr. Mario, which I find to actually be better than Tetris
    > >3. Super Mario Bros <-- Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers, it's very good (and somewhat difficult)
    > >4. Super Mario Bros 2 <-- Adventure Island 2. Doesn't have character selection, but there are different animals to ride.
    > >5. Simon's Quest <--Faxanadu, which is just plain excellent.
    > >6. Ultima Exodus <--Final Fantasy 1. It really is one of the best RPG's ever.
    > >7. Metroid <-- Contra, or Super C. I prefer Super C because the graphics are better and the control is just a little more tuned, but either one is a defining moment for the NES.
    > >8. Legend of Zelda <--Gauntlet. Not as fun, but a classic in it's own right.
    > >9. Burgertime <--Donkey Kong Jr Math is more fun than Burger Time. Play Balloon Fight, or Ice Climbers instead.
    > >10. Paperboy <-- Micro machines. It's not the same as paperboy, but you're just steering around a little car, instead of a bike. Plus there's boats.

    Now for my own top 10

    1. Super C
    2. Battletoads
    3. Double Dragon 2
    4. Megaman 3
    5. Dr. Mario
    6. Chip & Dale
    7. Duck Hunt
    8. Mario 3
    9. Punch Out
    10. Cobra Triangle
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    My top-10:

    1. Punch-Out!! (the greatest game ever!!)
    2. River City Ransom (named Street Gangs in Europe)
    3. Bubble Bobble
    4. Super Mario Bros (legend)
    5. Super Mario Bros 3
    6. Athletic World (Power Pad Fun!)
    7. Duck Hunt (somebody kill the dog, please!)
    8. Excitebike
    9. Pro Wrestling
    10. Kiwi Kraze (named New Zealand Story in Europe)

    Well there's one kind of a list. Punch-Out!! is the definite number one
    and the places of others could vary. And there is much more good games on
    the console.

    I could list also some my Famicom favourites which were not released in
    us or europe.

    1. Splatterhouse Wanpaku Graffiti (the game series debuted on Famicom!!)
    2. Sanrio Cup Ponpon Valley (volleyball with Hello Kitty and friends!!)
    3. Kero Kero Keroppi (Feroppi puzzle game)
    4. Don Doko Don (taito's bubble bobble kind of game)
    5. Pac-Land (still hunting this one, have played it only with amiga)
    6. Shuffle Puck Cafe (same as above)
    7. Penguin Wars (have this on multicart, addictive little game. Same kind
    as above)
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    ReZniK:

    > I'm gonna suggest an alternative title for every game you have there,

    Great suggestions everyone, I'll try them out.
    --
    Mac Cool

Console Gaming Games Video Nintendo Video Games