Sign in with
Your question

Help me find a decent budget laptop

Last response: in Mobile Computing
June 16, 2004 2:14:41 PM

Maybe you can give me some good advice or point me towards a decent buying guide to help me find a good budget laptop.

I'm going into law school this fall and laptops are the standard. So, being the conformist that I am, I was hoping I could get some help choosing a decent, all-around laptop. Choosing a laptop seems to be very different than a desktop because there is very little ability to customize and compare accross brands.

My critera:
Less than $1,000
802.11 g
floppy drive (I'll need this to use my laptop to take tests)
dvd rom or better
XP Home edition without MS Office

Those are the only must haves. Otherwise, I just want a laptop that will be all-around decent for the next 3 years while I'm in school (decent battery life, speed, storage, still can run software without 2 minute pauses, monitor size, etc).

Thanks for your input in advance.
June 23, 2004 5:13:48 PM

Check with Dell and IBM....both carry good all around systems that are reasonabel on price.
June 24, 2004 9:01:17 AM

Remember Laptops dont have to have a diskdrive. If the laptop has a usb port you can buy a external disk drive. For alot of times you will not use it. So that gives more space to your laptop.

And another note is Laptops now of days drop the disk drive for the cdrom drive.
Related resources
June 30, 2004 6:49:22 PM

For less money than external floppy but 100+ times more space you can get a USB flash drive (memory card) and use it everywhere for your tests as well.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
July 1, 2004 7:39:33 AM

Hay Blah. Next time reread the Post. You miss this part

floppy drive (I'll need this to use my laptop to take tests)

Now do you think teacher going to have a usb Flash Drive program installed? Or do you think the teacher going to want 15 to 20 Programs for Just differnt drivers software. So all the people taking the test can be happy.

I seid external floppy drive for they just be plug in usb and unplug. And you can give the teacher The old Tech 1.44 floopys.
July 1, 2004 12:28:17 PM

WHOOOOOOOO!!! THE NAAAAATURE BOY!!! STYLIN' AND PROFILIN'!!!

<font color=blue>War</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Eagle</font color=orange>
"I am not a role model." - Charles Barkley
{FTM}
July 2, 2004 3:52:05 AM

Chill, fella, I've read the post aright. It did not explain "the process" of "take tests", so I though he just simply needs to bring home some files work on them and bring those files back and submit them through the network or something like that. Not biggy, and by the way, while you are so incredibly irritated by some bodie's wize suggestion, you might want to know that you need NO DRIVERS for flesh drives, you just stick it in and it is visible in explorer just like any USB device out there, stupid.

PS: in any case, unless the teacher specifically requires floppy, USB drive is much more efficient in any other case. Floppies are things of the past.

July 3, 2004 9:08:05 AM

You need drivers for win 98.

:cool: :eek:  :redface: :frown: :lol:  :mad:  :eek:  :smile: :tongue: :wink: :evil: 
July 5, 2004 1:42:36 AM

LOL big time, what kind of a Law teecha will have unsecure/unstabel/unusableThisDays/8yearsOld OS on their work machines? Hehehe, grow up, don't make peepel laugh over your "super/pooper/smart" comments.

Plus, only Win95 did not have USB support, EVERYTHING else afta has USB support, Plug-N-Play was it called?

July 5, 2004 7:40:19 AM

I can say this Not everyone is mr. Moneybags. And there Parents might have only so much and paying for a student. Unless the student had a job before going to school. So The 8 year old OS is not bad. And Windows xp can run a floopy drives. And windows 98 can read floopy drives. Oh and dont forget windows 95 can run Floopie drives.

So let say you came off the lowest part of town for your family had very little money. And a hand me down laptop was the only thing you could get With windows 95/98. Do they all read usb? No My brothers Thinkpad with 500mhz did not have a usb port.

And another question How many times dose a school Get there Computers Updated. Well let me answer this. It not every year. For schools have to save money. So computers can be 3 to 5 years old. Then Like I seid before. Not everyone Mr Moneybags that can go Oh I want this super computer NOW. And use a creditcard and poof.

I think it funny when people dont look at all the facts and then go why do you need a floopydrive.
July 5, 2004 7:57:56 AM

hehe, all no moneybags can look <A HREF="http://www.cheap-laptops-notebooks.com/" target="_new">here</A> for no top of the line puters. Your points are moot these days. This is a Law school, not a Public school, my guess is that those teechaz have some dough for a newer stuff if a laptop is a "requirement", can't you guess. The guy need just a Laptop, not a marriage consultation..

PS: hehe, peepel that can afford college CAN afford "requirements" for it.

PSS: his requirements were not made as for the no nomoneybag, but a moneybag fella, caz his requirements go over 1000 shells (built in .g, better than a DVD (what that is I still can't guess straight), 3 years+ computability, big HD, and so on).

PSSS: You peepel need to become adults and stop playing "smart" kids (you stupid, no you stupid, no I know better, you stupid), it is too late for that, be a little more simple looking at life, it is 2004 out there (I guess it still is;)

July 5, 2004 12:53:51 PM

jeez you're a grouch. i was pointing out a fact. why else would manufacturers bundle a cd that says win 98 drivers.

besides it depends on what you use it for. i see people in the industry still using win95 and NT eventhough its old cos it works for them.

don't get me wrong. I'm all for using thumb drives as storage but when it comes to passing up work, I prefer to give my lecturer a cheapo floppy rather than a relatively more expensive thumb drive cos they never return it. besides he did mention that he wanted a disk drive.

:cool: :eek:  :redface: :frown: :lol:  :mad:  :eek:  :smile: :tongue: :wink: :evil: 
July 5, 2004 1:02:38 PM

btw atol he's going to law school so that means money isn't a problem for the teachers though it is a bit frustrating needing to justify every purchase.

July 5, 2004 1:04:42 PM

isn't it weird how the original poster disappeared? why bother arguing here if he isn't gonna comment on our suggestions. let's call it quits

July 5, 2004 11:34:54 PM

Quote:
LOL big time, what kind of a Law teecha will have unsecure/unstabel/unusableThisDays/8yearsOld OS on their work machines? Hehehe, grow up, don't make peepel laugh over your "super/pooper/smart" comments.

..and this would be a "super/pooper/smart" comment?

You need to get over yourself. You may or may not know that in universities and colleges and law schools etc. there are usually quite a number of computers (I'm speaking slowly and simply, so try to keep up). Now perhaps a lot of universities can afford to splash out money on a new OS for all their computers every couple of years, but I can guarantee you that not all of them can - especially in countries other than the US (yes, there is actually a world beyond the United States borders).

So to answer your question, "what kind of a Law teecha will have unsecure/unstabel/unusableThisDays/8yearsOld OS on their work machines?" I can say with some certainty, 'quite a lot' - while the students may have a lot of money to afford a fancy university, teachers and lecturers in general aren't really paid all that much.

Quote:
Plus, only Win95 did not have USB support, EVERYTHING else afta has USB support, Plug-N-Play was it called?

Get a win98 machine, and stick ur USB in it. It won't work without separately installed drivers.

Quote:
PS: hehe, peepel that can afford college CAN afford "requirements" for it.

Ever heard of the term 'bursary' or 'scholarship' or even 'discount'...

Quote:
PSSS: You peepel need to become adults and stop playing "smart" kids (you stupid, no you stupid, no I know better, you stupid), it is too late for that, be a little more simple looking at life, it is 2004 out there (I guess it still is;)

..and as far is that utterly ironic statement is concerned, that is among the most hypocritical statements that I have ever read.

I don't use Floppy disks anymore, in fact I no longer have a working FDD - but my university still wishes assignments to be handed in on floppies. half the pcs on the campus don't even hav CD-ROM drives for crying out loud. Just let the dude get a FDD. You can get a memory stick at a later stage if need be.

Regards,

RaPTuRe

Who's General Failure and why's he reading my disk?
July 6, 2004 11:33:52 AM

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

^_^

that said it best

!