Sign in with
Your question

Max card for system?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 18, 2002 10:14:02 PM

I have a Monorail pc w/ 450 Pentium III, 384 mb ram, and currently a Voodoo 3 3000. What is the biggest/fastest card I can put in this and get the full benefits of the card? Does it pay to upgrade to any card? I like Glide games like Counter-Strike, Half-life, etc.
Thanks

Even the strongest oak must bend to the winds of fate.

More about : max card system

April 19, 2002 12:16:31 AM

I really don't know what cards do well on Glide. I'd say a GF3 Ti200 would do nicely or maybe a Ti4200 for future upgradability. A R8500LE would also do pretty well I'd presume.
April 19, 2002 2:26:17 AM

I know this doesn't answer your question exactly, but I had a PII400 with a voodoo3 3000 in it and it scored 550 in 3Dmark2k1. New games weren't running well if they would run at all.

I put a GeForce2 Pro in it and my 3dmark2k1 score tripled. In otherwords, you'll get an improvement with your PIII 450, but it will bottleneck since this same card can pull off an additional 3000 points on a new system.

You're in a situation where you really need both a new CPU and videocard to get great performance, but at the same time you're not really playing any new games. A new videocard will make it "better", but you'll have to decide how new of a card you want. I would base your decision on when you plan on upgrading the CPU. If you're not planning on an upgrade soon I wouldn't get anything beyond a GF2.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>
Related resources
April 19, 2002 4:04:02 AM

Well said! My words are never that concise.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>
April 19, 2002 1:00:17 PM

Thanks for the info. I will have this computer for a year or more probably, so I'll look for a GF2 card. Thanks again.

April 19, 2002 2:27:54 PM

Surfing cnet.com & MySimon.com it seems I best off getting a GeForce 4 MX 440. They still want blood for the high end GeForce 2 cards like the Ultra, GTS, Pro, Ti. Found a GeForce 4 MX 440 for $99.

!