Good RPGs for GBA?

Hey all,

Seems I'll be doing a fair bit of travelling soon with my job, so instead of
lugging around my xbox or PS2 I think im actually gonna break down and get a
handheld system. I couldn't be less interested in the DS or the PSP since I
dont wanna spend that kind of cash on something that will be used very
rarely and I saw that the GBA-SPs have gotten cheap as hell lately. So, my
question to the nintendo guys out there is apart from the Golden Sun series
which look pretty cool, what other top notch jap-RPGs are there on the GBA?.
I'm a huge final fantasy fanboy, love the xenosaga series, yet am completely
fed up with Zelda style rpg-lite's or action rpg's.... so anything along
those lines would be pretty darn cool.

TIA!

Wurm
4 answers Last reply
More about good rpgs
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    One of the best would be the Golden Sun series. They can be found cheap
    through places like EBGames... (used). If not, you could maybe grab a copy
    of Pokemon on GBASP because deep down they are very involving RPG's. And if
    you want something more quirky there's also farming sims! The Harvest Moon
    series are excellent IMHO. Anyway, you can always go to gaming sites and
    check out the reviews....

    Have fun with your new GBASP and your new job!!

    JB

    "Wurm" <a@b.c> wrote in message news:d1uskg$pj6$1@dns3.cae.ca...
    > Hey all,
    >
    > Seems I'll be doing a fair bit of travelling soon with my job, so instead
    > of
    > lugging around my xbox or PS2 I think im actually gonna break down and get
    > handheld system. I couldn't be less interested in the DS or the PSP since
    > dont wanna spend that kind of cash on something that will be used very
    > rarely and I saw that the GBA-SPs have gotten cheap as hell lately. So, my
    > question to the nintendo guys out there is apart from the Golden Sun
    > series
    > which look pretty cool, what other top notch jap-RPGs are there on the
    > GBA?.
    > I'm a huge final fantasy fanboy, love the xenosaga series, yet am
    > completely
    > fed up with Zelda style rpg-lite's or action rpg's.... so anything along
    > those lines would be pretty darn cool.
    >
    > TIA!
    >
    > Wurm

  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    "Wurm" <a@b.c> wrote in message news:d1uskg$pj6$1@dns3.cae.ca...
    > Hey all,
    >
    > Seems I'll be doing a fair bit of travelling soon with my job, so instead
    > of
    > lugging around my xbox or PS2 I think im actually gonna break down and get
    > handheld system. I couldn't be less interested in the DS or the PSP since
    > dont wanna spend that kind of cash on something that will be used very
    > rarely and I saw that the GBA-SPs have gotten cheap as hell lately. So, my
    > question to the nintendo guys out there is apart from the Golden Sun
    > series
    > which look pretty cool, what other top notch jap-RPGs are there on the
    > GBA?.
    > I'm a huge final fantasy fanboy, love the xenosaga series, yet am
    > completely
    > fed up with Zelda style rpg-lite's or action rpg's.... so anything along
    > those lines would be pretty darn cool.
    >
    > TIA!
    >
    > Wurm

    If you like Final Fantasy then you should love Sword of Mana. Same type of
    game and a bit Zelda ish
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    Lorfarius wrote:
    > "Wurm" <a@b.c> wrote in message news:d1uskg$pj6$1@dns3.cae.ca...
    >>I'm a huge final fantasy fanboy, love the xenosaga series, yet am
    >>completely
    >>fed up with Zelda style rpg-lite's or action rpg's.... so anything along
    >>those lines would be pretty darn cool.
    >>
    >>TIA!
    >>
    >>Wurm
    >>

    > If you like Final Fantasy then you should love Sword of Mana. Same type of
    > game and a bit Zelda ish

    Sword of Mana has a nearly identical battle system to Secret of Mana for
    SNES. Very action-RPG, very similar to Zelda. So, if you are fed up with
    that style of games, I would not recommend it. However, you might enjoy
    Final Fantasy Tactics Advance or Final Fantasy 1&2, both for GBA.

    --
    Any one who considers arithmetical methods of producing random digits
    is, of course, in a state of sin.

    Well, if you don't like Zelda, I'll start off by suggesting you get some
    taste. :-P That said, Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga is a great RPG
    that blends Nintendo-style puzzle-solving with turn-based combat
    elements, not to mention interacting with loads of NPCs. It's also
    pretty funny too.

    To tell the truth though, the combat is turn-based but also uses
    real-time elements like timing your button presses to get the most
    effective attack, and also countering enemy attacks.

    As for Golden Sun, it's a great-looking RPG with some Zelda-type puzzles
    and an interesting story. The only downside, and this is a big one for
    me, is that outside of towns, combat is totally random. You don't see
    enemies on the map, however you can only walk for like five to ten
    seconds before the game decides it's time for you to fight a party of
    rats or something. You have the option of running away (rarely works),
    or staying to fight. I much prefer a system like Mario and Luigi in
    which you see the enemies walking around on the map and can choose
    whether or not to fight them, or to move on. In Golden Sun, walking
    between towns is a chore, and so is fighting in dungeons, caves, etc.,
    because the random battles are so frequent and annoying.

    --

Console Gaming PlayStation Nintendo Video Games