Malu

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2003

Anyone know what would cause my computer to take forever (hours) with
installations (printer, Microsoft updates), logging off, and shutting down
(up to 10+ min.). Excel, Word, Outlook, Paint Shop Pro have all stopped
responding when I tried to print or clicked the X to close the window, then
don't want to open up later. I have my Firewall/Antivirus on all the time and
do daily virus and computer scans. I am thinking of restoring my computer to
the factory settings. Any help greatly appreciated.

In article <775CE934-B111-4B2B-950C-903B01CF75A6@microsoft.com>,
Malu@discussions.microsoft.com says...

> Anyone know what would cause my computer to take forever (hours) with
> installations (printer, Microsoft updates), logging off, and shutting down
> (up to 10+ min.). Excel, Word, Outlook, Paint Shop Pro have all stopped
> responding when I tried to print or clicked the X to close the window, then
> don't want to open up later. I have my Firewall/Antivirus on all the time and
> do daily virus and computer scans. I am thinking of restoring my computer to
> the factory settings. Any help greatly appreciated.

How much memory do you have?

How much memory is your computer using/needing when you have this
problem?

What is the CPU Load when you have this problem?

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Malu Wrote:
> Anyone know what would cause my computer to take forever (hours) with
> installations (printer, Microsoft updates), logging off, and shutting
> down (up to 10+ min.). Excel, Word, Outlook, Paint Shop Pro have all
> stopped
> responding when I tried to print or clicked the X to close the window,
> then
> don't want to open up later. I have my Firewall/Antivirus on all the
> time and
> do daily virus and computer scans. I am thinking of restoring my
> computer to
> the factory settings. Any help greatly appreciated.

Have you run updated scans for spyware and do you have something
protecting your system against it? ( such as Adaware, Spybot S&D ) If
not run them.How much is your HD capacity/ how much free space.
Insufficient memory? Things that would strike are a severly fragmented
drive (which can slow down the system) although things seem to be not
just 'slow' for you. Run a disk cleanup and defragment, see if things
improve. Also you could cut down the number of items at startup.
Check out these links
http://www.microsoft.com/AtWork/getstarted/speed.mspx/
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/OptimizeXP.html

--
kenchi

"Malu" <Malu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Anyone know what would cause my computer to take forever (hours) with
> installations (printer, Microsoft updates), logging off, and shutting down
> (up to 10+ min.). Excel, Word, Outlook, Paint Shop Pro have all stopped
> responding when I tried to print or clicked the X to close the window,
> then
> don't want to open up later. I have my Firewall/Antivirus on all the time
> and
> do daily virus and computer scans. I am thinking of restoring my computer
> the factory settings. Any help greatly appreciated.

Check the Windows event logs (Application and System logs) for any errors.

Do you get a lot of disk activity? If so then it might be a good idea to run
chkdsk on the disk (start > run > chkdsk c: /f)

Hope this helps.
--
Brian Cryer
www.cryer.co.uk/brian