US DVD'S

Im not sure if I am addressing the right group - but I would appreciate if
it anyone would tell me if DVD'S purchased in the states can be played in
Australia, or whether and adjustment would have to be made, and if so -
what?

Judy
7 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    "Judy L" <Judy@home> wrote in message
    > Im not sure if I am addressing the right group - but I would appreciate if
    > it anyone would tell me if DVD'S purchased in the states can be played in
    > Australia, or whether and adjustment would have to be made, and if so -
    > what?
    >
    > Judy

    Unfortunately when DVDs came out the recording industry came up with the
    idea of creating regions with the idea that DVDs bought in one region
    wouldn't then play in another. Stupid idea, only causes the end user
    problems.

    DVDs purchased in America will be region 1. DVDs purchased in Europe will be
    region 2. Australia I think is region 4.

    What this means to you is that unless you have a multi-region player (i.e. a
    player which is not locked to a specific region or which you can change the
    region) then you won't be able to play your DVDs in Australia. There are
    however a large number of hacks available on the internet which will allow
    you to change the region of a DVD player and most modern DVD players are
    region free or at least can be changed to a different region relatively
    easily.

    As far as I am aware this applies to both standalone DVD players and ones in
    pcs.

    Hope this helps.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    www.cryer.co.uk/brian

    Judy L wrote:
    > Im not sure if I am addressing the right group - but I would
    > appreciate if it anyone would tell me if DVD'S purchased in the
    > states can be played in Australia, or whether and adjustment would
    > have to be made, and if so - what?
    >
    > Judy

    Judy

    There are a lot of issues with DVD regions, types of DVD hardware and etc. The following links will get you up to speed on this subject.

    DVD FAQ:
    http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#1.10

    Inmatrix.com - DVD Genie Download:
    http://www.inmatrix.com/files/dvdgenie_download.shtml

    --

    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

    Head over to www.rpc1.org. This site deals a lot with DVDs and Region
    codes. It is mainly a fourm for peer to peer help.

    "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <ronv@mvps.org> wrote in message
    Judy L wrote:
    > Im not sure if I am addressing the right group - but I would
    > appreciate if it anyone would tell me if DVD'S purchased in the
    > states can be played in Australia, or whether and adjustment would
    > have to be made, and if so - what?
    >
    > Judy

    Judy

    There are a lot of issues with DVD regions, types of DVD hardware and etc.
    The following links will get you up to speed on this subject.

    DVD FAQ:
    http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#1.10

    Inmatrix.com - DVD Genie Download:
    http://www.inmatrix.com/files/dvdgenie_download.shtml

    --

    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

    Many thanks for your explanation Brian

    Judy

[...]

    Thanks for that Ronnie
    Judy

    "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Head over to www.rpc1.org. This site deals a lot with DVDs and Region
    > codes. It is mainly a fourm for peer to peer help.
    >

    > "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <ronv@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Judy L wrote:
    >> Im not sure if I am addressing the right group - but I would
    >> appreciate if it anyone would tell me if DVD'S purchased in the
    >> states can be played in Australia, or whether and adjustment would
    >> have to be made, and if so - what?
    >>
    >> Judy
    >
    > Judy
    >
    > There are a lot of issues with DVD regions, types of DVD hardware and etc.
    > The following links will get you up to speed on this subject.
    >
    > DVD FAQ:
    > http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#1.10
    >
    > Inmatrix.com - DVD Genie Download:
    > http://www.inmatrix.com/files/dvdgenie_download.shtml
    >

    > --
    >
    > Ronnie Vernon
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

    Thanks also Yves
    Judy

    "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Head over to www.rpc1.org. This site deals a lot with DVDs and Region
    > codes. It is mainly a fourm for peer to peer help.
    >

    > "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <ronv@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Judy L wrote:
    >> Im not sure if I am addressing the right group - but I would
    >> appreciate if it anyone would tell me if DVD'S purchased in the
    >> states can be played in Australia, or whether and adjustment would
    >> have to be made, and if so - what?
    >>
    >> Judy
    >
    > Judy
    >
    > There are a lot of issues with DVD regions, types of DVD hardware and etc.
    > The following links will get you up to speed on this subject.
    >
    > DVD FAQ:
    > http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#1.10
    >
    > Inmatrix.com - DVD Genie Download:
    > http://www.inmatrix.com/files/dvdgenie_download.shtml
    >

    > --
    >
    > Ronnie Vernon
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

  7. IMPORTANT:

    Make sure BEFORE you change the region on your player that you understand this can only be done a limited # of times before it becomes permanent. (I had a friend who ruined a DVD drive this way.) Most drives will only let you change the region for that drive about 4-5 times. The sites others have pointed out should give you some much better alternatives. Just didn't want you to make the same mistake.

DVD Support Microsoft Windows XP