Nintendo DS games across regions

Hi

My nephew is in UK and he has a DS. I wanted to send him a few games
from US. Is there any region encoding with these games? Are the US
games compatible with a UK DS portable? (I was planning on sending
Super Mario 64 first, in case compatibility is game dependent)

Thanks for your time.
7 answers Last reply
More about nintendo games regions
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    DNA inquired...

    > My nephew is in UK and he has a DS.
    > I wanted to send him a few games
    > from US. Is there any region encoding
    > with these games?

    With the DVD format, there is, but you are just talking about a cartridge
    format, which should be fine.

    Cheers!
    --
    I am the fish and I approve this message.
    ______________

    "DNA" <susenets2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > My nephew is in UK and he has a DS. I wanted to send him a few games
    > from US. Is there any region encoding with these games? Are the US
    > games compatible with a UK DS portable? (I was planning on sending
    > Super Mario 64 first, in case compatibility is game dependent)
    >
    > Thanks for your time.

    The DS is region free, games from any country will work on it. I Have a UK
    and US DS in the house, I use japanese, american and UK games on both
    without problems. Hope that helps :)
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    "DNA" <susenets2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > My nephew is in UK and he has a DS. I wanted to send him a few games
    > from US. Is there any region encoding with these games? Are the US
    > games compatible with a UK DS portable? (I was planning on sending
    > Super Mario 64 first, in case compatibility is game dependent)
    >
    > Thanks for your time.

    I have a North American DS(I'm from the UK and I couldn't wait) and my son
    has got a UK one that I got him for Easter.
    Not only do they both play NA & UK games, but they download and Pictochat to
    each other as well.
    Therefore there can't be any sort of region encoding at all.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    "Aquila" <Aquila@Aquila.net> wrote in message
    > I have a North American DS(I'm from the UK and I couldn't wait) and my son
    > has got a UK one that I got him for Easter.
    > Not only do they both play NA & UK games, but they download and Pictochat
    > to each other as well.
    > Therefore there can't be any sort of region encoding at all.

    Actually, there still could be some sort of region encoding, between
    individual games. A UK copy of a multiplayer game that requires (or uses)
    multiple copies of the game may not work with a US or Jap version of the
    same game. This could be done intentionally, or just be a result of changes
    to the game code when langauge changes were made, or when a game was patched
    before being released into another country.

    --
    figmentPez
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    DNA wrote:

    Thank you all for the replies. That certainly helped. He told me that
    he has some "Ping Pals" game currently.

    I want to introduce the plumber to him as soon as possible.

    Cheers!!
  6. great! I had the same question. What about Wii games???
  7. Wait until 2013, early 2014. You should get your answer around then.

Console Gaming Games Compatibility Nintendo Video Games