Win XP Pro freeze

I have Win XP Pro. It starts properly and I can log on to my Administrator
account. Once it is up and running, I cannot access anything. The mouse
moves, but when I reach the task bar at the bottom it shows the busy cursor
(sand time glass). I can move anywhere on the desktop, but I cannot click on
anything. I can access my harddrive through my network from another
computer. If I do CTLR+ALT+DEL, the task manager opens up, there are no
application running, but quite a few processes. I have tried to start by the
Safe mode with the exact same result. Since I cannot access the Start button
at the bottom, I cannot get anything running to investigate more. Any ideas
? Thanks.

Aigle836,

How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316434

To launch MSConfig.exe, open Task Manager, and use the File > Run option.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User