Toshiba wired/wireless connection problem

My friend just bought a DLink DI-624 (revision C) and connected both his
Dell desktop and Toshiba Satellite A10 by Cat 5. Network worked fine.
Then we pulled the Cat 5 cable from the Toshiba and tried to connect
wirelessly. Started with no WEP, same default SSID (broadcast) and saw
excellent wireless connectivity.
No LAN or Internet. Toshiba kept getting an IP in the 169.xxx range. Toshiba
tech support advised to delete the bridge in Device Manager. Wireless LAN
now works fine.
At the office, the Toshiba gets wired into the network and it needs the
bridge, so local techie sets it back up.
At home at night, with bridge in, no wireless. Only solution from Toshiba is
to disable the bridge with wireless and enable it for ethernet.
This seems arcane.
Surely there's a better answer, but I don't know what it is.

Alan White wrote:

>My friend just bought a DLink DI-624 (revision C) and connected both his
>Dell desktop and Toshiba Satellite A10 by Cat 5. Network worked fine.
>Then we pulled the Cat 5 cable from the Toshiba and tried to connect
>wirelessly. Started with no WEP, same default SSID (broadcast) and saw
>excellent wireless connectivity.
>No LAN or Internet. Toshiba kept getting an IP in the 169.xxx range. Toshiba
>tech support advised to delete the bridge in Device Manager. Wireless LAN
>now works fine.
>At the office, the Toshiba gets wired into the network and it needs the
>bridge, so local techie sets it back up.
>At home at night, with bridge in, no wireless. Only solution from Toshiba is
>to disable the bridge with wireless and enable it for ethernet.
>This seems arcane.
>Surely there's a better answer, but I don't know what it is.

I guess the question is why do you need a bridge to connect to wired LAN?

DS

"Alan White" <alanwhite@hotmail.com> wrote in

> My friend just bought a DLink DI-624 (revision C) and connected both
> his Dell desktop and Toshiba Satellite A10 by Cat 5. Network worked
> fine. Then we pulled the Cat 5 cable from the Toshiba and tried to
> connect wirelessly. Started with no WEP, same default SSID (broadcast)
> and saw excellent wireless connectivity.
> No LAN or Internet. Toshiba kept getting an IP in the 169.xxx range.
> Toshiba tech support advised to delete the bridge in Device Manager.
> Wireless LAN now works fine.
> At the office, the Toshiba gets wired into the network and it needs
> the bridge, so local techie sets it back up.
> At home at night, with bridge in, no wireless. Only solution from
> Toshiba is to disable the bridge with wireless and enable it for
> ethernet. This seems arcane.
> Surely there's a better answer, but I don't know what it is.

What is it bridging. From what I remember, (assuming WindowsXP) the
'bridge' can bridge 2 NICS in one PC.

So what is it 'bridging' ?

What did the 'techie' say the bridge was required for ?

because it won't connect without one. Without the bridge, no LAN on
Ethernet. The office techie added it and - instant LAN connection.

????