Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Some of our systems got their default mail client reset to Outlook
Express. Most of our users use Outlook, with a few using Thunderbird.
It seems that only an Administrator can reset their default mail client
through Internet Options. I came across an article from Microsoft that
says that only an Admin can change this after an admin sets it.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315240

I find if very hard to believe that our users cannot set their own
default mail client after an admin sets it once. Does anyone know how
to reset this so users can select their default clients? I do not want
to force my users to use one type of mail client.

Thanks,

Dave
altinac@gmail.com

Dave,

What the article says is correct. Because the file associations are central,
present in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT registry hive, only Administrators can modify
the setting there. Default email client cannot be set as a per-user basis,
using the Windows XP's user interface. As a workaround, you may use my
utility: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/defaultmail.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Dave" <altinac@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Some of our systems got their default mail client reset to Outlook
> Express. Most of our users use Outlook, with a few using Thunderbird.
> It seems that only an Administrator can reset their default mail client
> through Internet Options. I came across an article from Microsoft that
> says that only an Admin can change this after an admin sets it.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315240
>
> I find if very hard to believe that our users cannot set their own
> default mail client after an admin sets it once. Does anyone know how
> to reset this so users can select their default clients? I do not want
> to force my users to use one type of mail client.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave
> altinac@gmail.com

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
> Dave,
>
> What the article says is correct. Because the file associations are
> central, present in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT registry hive, only Administrators
> can modify the setting there. Default email client cannot be set as a
> per-user basis, using the Windows XP's user interface. As a workaround,
> you may use my utility: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/defaultmail.htm

Do you happen to know which keys in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT hive are
affected by this issue? Also, do you have any details on exactly what
changes to a system your utility makes to the system?

Thanks,

Dave
altinac@gmail.com

1. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto