continuous reboot in XP

I am trying to help a friend with his computer and I love to learn stuff so
this is still kind of fun... but it is getting old.

When the computer is turned on we get the Window's splash page, then the
compaq splash page, then a text screen with "Safe Mode, Safe Mode with
Networking... etc" I have tried all the options, none of them work.

I have used F10 to get into the system utilities to try to boot off the CD.
I cannot find an option to make the CD boot first, only the option to enable
of disable the different IDE devices. I have played with all those options
and nothing works. I have even disconnected all the IDE devices except the
CD drive and tried to get it to boot like that. I get the "non-systems disk,
please insert systems disk and press any key to continue" jibberish.

I tried to get online chat help but they claim the product ID is not of the
valid form... which I know is false because this is the CD we used to install
XP and everything worked fine.

Last know working day the computer said it had to check the external (H)
drive for consistency with FAT32 or something. My friend clicked okay, it
took a couple minutes, and worked fine all day. But the next day it wouldn;t
go past the point I just mentioned.

Any suggestions?
1 answer Last reply
More about continuous reboot

    XP is designed to boot from CD. If your system is unable to do that you will
    need this download go to:
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q310/9/94.ASP (for boot
    floppys)

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    FAQ for Windows Antispy
    "weschrist" <weschrist@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am trying to help a friend with his computer and I love to learn stuff
    so
    > this is still kind of fun... but it is getting old.
    >
    > When the computer is turned on we get the Window's splash page, then the
    > compaq splash page, then a text screen with "Safe Mode, Safe Mode with
    > Networking... etc" I have tried all the options, none of them work.
    >
    > I have used F10 to get into the system utilities to try to boot off the
    CD.
    > I cannot find an option to make the CD boot first, only the option to
    enable
    > of disable the different IDE devices. I have played with all those
    options
    > and nothing works. I have even disconnected all the IDE devices except
    the
    > CD drive and tried to get it to boot like that. I get the "non-systems
    disk,
    > please insert systems disk and press any key to continue" jibberish.
    >
    > I tried to get online chat help but they claim the product ID is not of
    the
    > valid form... which I know is false because this is the CD we used to
    install
    > XP and everything worked fine.
    >
    > Last know working day the computer said it had to check the external (H)
    > drive for consistency with FAT32 or something. My friend clicked okay, it
    > took a couple minutes, and worked fine all day. But the next day it
    wouldn;t
    > go past the point I just mentioned.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

Windows XP