Problem shutting down from Start button

My xp wont shutdown immediately when I click on "Turn Off computer". I have
to click on Start again and go the same process a couple of times before it
does turn off. Also it does'nt seem to turn on as fast as it was before.

I did windows update and tried the shutdown troubleshooter from the Help and
Support and it still didn't help. Please help.

A shutdown troubleshooter http://www.aumha.org/a/shtdwnxp.htm

Mark L. Ferguson