Radeon 7000 PCI... please help

G

I recently installed a Radeon 7000 32 meg pci card from ATI to replace my integrated video. It's an older pc (K6-2 400mhz, 256 megs of RAM), i wasnt expecting much, but at least to be able to run some EA sports games while the other pc is being used. Everything seems to be working well untill i try to run a game. It dosnt seem to be any better than my old integrated video. The games run extremely choppy. Ive downloaded the latest drivers from ATI after having problems with the origonal ones, theres no difference. im totally stumped, theres no way this card can be this bad.. i know theres an error with my pc, i just have no idea what.. im not leaving any hidden programs running... its really frustrating.. i feel like ive thrown away 80 bucks.. any ideas?

thanks
Jim

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Yeah you might have. The R7000 isn't the best card you could have gotten. Also it could be your proc that is limiting you. What integrated graphics did you have before? Do a 3DMark 2001 test and tell me what you got. From there I or someone else might be able to tell you if it's running properly.

hammad

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2002
try installing it in another pci slot , or uninstall all the drivers and then install the latest drivers if it dont works, go to the ati web site and check the radeon 7000 pci faqs, and if it also dont works then consult with your vendor or try to replace the unit, radeon 7000 pci can play need for speed porsche at 35 fps in 1024 resolution with a 750 mhz

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It is better to get a new system and new video card. The system is very outdated. PCI bus is also a bottleneck for newer Video card.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You threw away $80. PCI is too slow for even passable graphics. If nVidia made a GeForce4 TI4600 PCI, it would still be slower than an TNT2 AGP. PCI has 1/8 the bandwidth of AGP4x.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

Is a TNT 2 AGP better than 2 meg SiS 530 integrated video? because the Radeon 7000 pci sure as hell isnt.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Jimi, reread my post in the correct frame of thought, what I'm trying to say is that almost any AGP card is faster than even the fastest PCI card. It's not the card's fault that it's PCI, nor is it the manufacturers fault. You wanted a PCI card so that's what they sold you! You want better, you're going to have to use AGP!

G

I would have went with an AGP card if i could.. i dont have an AGP slot..

G

I ran 3dmark 2000, im not sure exaclty what numbers you want.. it scored a 503, if you send me your email address ill send you the .3dp file, it did horrible on the game tests, it was only 2.4 fps on the "high quality adventure" test... and i think it was only about 16fps on low.. whatever the case.. its terrible, btw, my old integrated video was SiS 530.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Jimi on 04/25/02 04:21 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You would be far better off with a new motherboard. In fact, the ATI Radeon LE is available online for $40, you could put the other $40 toward a new board, depending on what type of CPU you have.

G

Do you think $40 would be enough for a new board? i have a k6-2 400... i might as well bump that up to a fast celeron or pIII

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh geeze, what a problem. AGP boards for Socket7 often cost MORE than PIII/Celeron or Athlon/Duron boards. Well, you can get a nice BX chipset board from www.justdeals.com for $40, and a cheap Celeron processor, and a video card, but the cost difference is determined by the CPU.

TRENDING THREADS