Great (IMHO) idea for a DS game.

Hi all.

Well, some people have said that the Dual-screen idea is just a
gimmick, and that most games won't be able to effectively use both
screens. Well, I've finally thought of a great way to use the system.
It could give new life to a dying genre: the 2-D platformer.

Let's take a look at the differences between 2-D and 3-D games:
2-D games have very exact mechanics for jumping and navigating,
but are clunky when it comes to shooting or performing other
actions. 3-D games, on the other hand, are the opposite-- their
setup is ideal for careful aiming and strafing, but is very awkward
for jumping.

What if you could play both at the same time? What if a game let you
use both perspectives at once, and you could choose which one you needed?

In my idea, the 2-D perspective would be on the non-touch screen, and let
you see the world around your character. You could jump with the exactness
found in an older Mario or Sonic game. You can see your footing down to
the last pixel. The touch screen would be 3-D, suitable for aiming or
performing other fine functions, and it would be a first-person
perspective, giving you the world through the character's eyes.

This sounds, to me, like the most natural idea for the DS yet. I hope
someone at Nintendo has thought of it too.

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.dvdverdict.com
2 answers Last reply
More about great imho idea game
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    > Let's take a look at the differences between 2-D and 3-D games:
    > 2-D games have very exact mechanics for jumping and navigating,
    > but are clunky when it comes to shooting or performing other
    > actions. 3-D games, on the other hand, are the opposite-- their
    > setup is ideal for careful aiming and strafing, but is very awkward
    > for jumping.

    Mario 64 (the N64 version not DS) proves this point wrong entirely. 3d games
    are ideal for jumping, its just that a lot of developers havent used the
    technology it the way it should be. We still havent had a 3d platformer to
    match Mario 64 and we are almost 2 console generations on!!!
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    "Lorfarius" <asdkeithNOSPAM@PLEASEhotmail.com> wrote in

    >> Let's take a look at the differences between 2-D and 3-D games:
    >> 2-D games have very exact mechanics for jumping and navigating,
    >> but are clunky when it comes to shooting or performing other
    >> actions. 3-D games, on the other hand, are the opposite-- their
    >> setup is ideal for careful aiming and strafing, but is very awkward
    >> for jumping.
    >
    > Mario 64 (the N64 version not DS) proves this point wrong entirely. 3d
    > games are ideal for jumping, its just that a lot of developers havent
    > used the technology it the way it should be. We still havent had a 3d
    > platformer to match Mario 64 and we are almost 2 console generations
    > on!!!

    Ah, yeah, I should have clarified that a bit. I was mostly referring to
    FPS games when I mentioned that, though I think the issue exists on 3rd-
    person games to a lesser degree. In Contra, for example, you can spot the
    exact pixel where the player will fall off a ledge.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com

Console Gaming Games Nintendo Video Games