mort

I'm running into a problem when I construct a web page.
I've constructed several web pages for an organization which look great
on my computer, but look quite different on other people's machines.

Over the years I've accumulated many new and exciting fonts on my
computer. I use these in constructing a web page, and the web page may
look great on my machine. However, since most of the people who view the
page do not have the same fonts installed, the page looks quite
different on their computers.

My question is: How can I get a listing of the initially installed fonts
that come with every copy of Windows XP? At least when I develop a web
page I can use only these fonts so that the page will display the same
on everyone's computer.

Google for "web safe fonts"
"Mort" <mortn@REMOVECAPSadelphia.net.INVALID> wrote in message
| I'm running into a problem when I construct a web page.
| I've constructed several web pages for an organization which look great
| on my computer, but look quite different on other people's machines.
|
| Over the years I've accumulated many new and exciting fonts on my
| computer. I use these in constructing a web page, and the web page may
| look great on my machine. However, since most of the people who view the
| page do not have the same fonts installed, the page looks quite
| different on their computers.
|
| My question is: How can I get a listing of the initially installed fonts
| that come with every copy of Windows XP? At least when I develop a web
| page I can use only these fonts so that the page will display the same
| on everyone's computer.

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Cant help with basic fonts, here is what I do and it doesn't matter the user
has the fonts or not. Instead of using text directly on the webpage, I make
an image <gif transparent, or jpg> and put the image on the page. Wala
....... works great.

Mort wrote:
> I'm running into a problem when I construct a web page.
> I've constructed several web pages for an organization which look great
> on my computer, but look quite different on other people's machines.
>
> Over the years I've accumulated many new and exciting fonts on my
> computer. I use these in constructing a web page, and the web page may
> look great on my machine. However, since most of the people who view the
> page do not have the same fonts installed, the page looks quite
> different on their computers.
>
> My question is: How can I get a listing of the initially installed fonts
> that come with every copy of Windows XP? At least when I develop a web
> page I can use only these fonts so that the page will display the same
> on everyone's computer.

See http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/default.aspx

(BTW, why do you assume that everyone has Windows XP? It is not even
close to being true.)

"Jerry" <jhuffman@triad.rr.com> wrote:

>Cant help with basic fonts, here is what I do and it doesn't matter the user
>has the fonts or not. Instead of using text directly on the webpage, I make
>an image <gif transparent, or jpg> and put the image on the page. Wala
>...... works great.

Greatly increases loading times for those still on dialup.