Chess Program

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,alt.comp.freeware.games (More info?)

Hi NG.
I know this question properly have been asked many times before, but anyway:
Does anyone know a good _free_ program for playing chess against the
computer?

/Hans
13 answers Last reply
More about chess program
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,alt.comp.freeware.games (More info?)

    Hans J. Jensen wrote:
    > Hi NG.
    > I know this question properly have been asked many times before, but anyway:
    > Does anyone know a good _free_ program for playing chess against the
    > computer?
    >
    > /Hans
    >
    >

    http://www.rebel.nl/decrel.htm

    http://www.playwitharena.com/

    100s of engines on the second link, all free.

    Do a search on www.google.com if you want more
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,alt.comp.freeware.games (More info?)

    Hi,

    You might like to look at ChessPad too. It's a nice Windows app for
    looking at PGN game collections.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,alt.comp.freeware.games (More info?)

    Hans J. Jensen wrote:
    > Hi NG.
    > I know this question properly have been asked many times before, but anyway:
    > Does anyone know a good _free_ program for playing chess against the
    > computer?
    >
    > /Hans
    >
    >
    Hi Hans,

    Free..!? Then you should get the Arena GUI with engines like Ruffian,
    SOS, The Baron and more, which is of different levels.

    http://www.playwitharena.com/

    HD
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,alt.comp.freeware.games (More info?)

    Hans J. Jensen wrote:
    > Hi NG.
    > I know this question properly have been asked many times before, but anyway:
    > Does anyone know a good _free_ program for playing chess against the
    > computer?
    >
    > /Hans


    Rudy has some in his Board section:
    http://www.caiman.us/scripts/fw/fboard.html

    Free, but I have no idea if they are any good... :-)

    regards from vegard

    --
    Vegard Krog Petersen, Norway

    My sites:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Solitaire MahJongg: http://home.halden.net/vkp/vkp/
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sarah Michelle Gellar Solitaire: http://home.halden.net/vkp/
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Freeware Logo & symbol: http://home.no/buffy2/
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Halma & Chinese Checkers: http://home.no.net/vkp/
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pachisi & Ludo: http://home.no.net/vkp3/
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    My fishy site (fishing games): http://home.no/vkp32/
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    a.c.f.g information: http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acfg/acfg.php
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    18+ - Adult Solitaire: http://home.no.net/rachel12/
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    18+ - Fishy Pictures: http://home.no.net/rachel12/fishy/
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Fredrikshald Havfiskeklubb: http://www.fredrikshald-havfiske.no
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,alt.comp.freeware.games (More info?)

    See below:

    "Vegard Krog Petersen" <vegard_krog_petersen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:d0mv80$cj4$1@news.tdcnorge.no...
    > Hans J. Jensen wrote:
    > > Hi NG.
    > > I know this question properly have been asked many times before, but
    anyway:
    > > Does anyone know a good _free_ program for playing chess against the
    > > computer?
    > >
    > > /Hans
    >
    >
    > Rudy has some in his Board section:
    > http://www.caiman.us/scripts/fw/fboard.html
    >
    > Free, but I have no idea if they are any good... :-)
    ....
    > Vegard Krog Petersen, Norway
    >

    There are literally hundreds of programs. So many programmers developed
    these with no compensation. You need two parts: the user interface and the
    engine.

    The interface is the part that deals with the user, i.e. I/O. In general,
    there are three types of interfaces for IBM compatibles: Winboard (Xboard
    for Mac), UCI, and Chessbase.

    The engine is the part that calculates moves. Engines may be designed for
    only one type interface, in which case it is called "native." Most engines
    these days are designed for two or three types. Chessbase has made its
    recent programs (I think starting with Fritz 6; I know Junior 8 and Hiarcs 8
    work) suitable for UCI. Arena, mentioned in an earlier post, is UCI.

    Here are some links to sites which explain this in more detail and which
    provide free programs:

    http://www.tim-mann.org/engines.html
    http://www.aarontay.per.sg/Winboard/index.html
    http://www.aarontay.per.sg/Winboard/article.html
    http://www.aarontay.per.sg/Winboard/Winboard4.html#[D.4]
    http://www.moq.dk/WinBoard.htm
    http://wbforum.volker-pittlik.name/profile.php
    http://www.winboardengines.de/html/winboard-detailpages.html
    http://www.chessville.com/links/links_comp_computer.htm
    http://www.geocities.com/lyapko/rat30.htm

    I found out about this the same way you did: by inquiring of this newsgroup.
    Jonathan Beckett wrote back, suggesting:

    SCID
    Winboard
    Arena
    Crafty
    Ruffian.

    I'm still trying them out.

    Good luck!

    Dan
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,alt.comp.freeware.games (More info?)

    "Dan Kalish" wrote
    [cut]
    >
    > There are literally hundreds of programs. So many programmers developed
    > these with no compensation. You need two parts: the user interface and
    the
    > engine.
    >
    > The interface is the part that deals with the user, i.e. I/O. In general,
    > there are three types of interfaces for IBM compatibles: Winboard (Xboard
    > for Mac), UCI, and Chessbase.
    >
    > The engine is the part that calculates moves. Engines may be designed for
    > only one type interface, in which case it is called "native." Most
    engines
    > these days are designed for two or three types. Chessbase has made its
    > recent programs (I think starting with Fritz 6; I know Junior 8 and Hiarcs
    8
    > work) suitable for UCI. Arena, mentioned in an earlier post, is UCI.
    >
    > Here are some links to sites which explain this in more detail and which
    > provide free programs:
    >
    > http://www.tim-mann.org/engines.html
    > http://www.aarontay.per.sg/Winboard/index.html
    > http://www.aarontay.per.sg/Winboard/article.html
    > http://www.aarontay.per.sg/Winboard/Winboard4.html#[D.4]
    > http://www.moq.dk/WinBoard.htm
    > http://wbforum.volker-pittlik.name/profile.php
    > http://www.winboardengines.de/html/winboard-detailpages.html
    > http://www.chessville.com/links/links_comp_computer.htm
    > http://www.geocities.com/lyapko/rat30.htm
    >
    > I found out about this the same way you did: by inquiring of this
    newsgroup.
    > Jonathan Beckett wrote back, suggesting:
    >
    > SCID
    > Winboard
    > Arena
    > Crafty
    > Ruffian.
    >
    > I'm still trying them out.
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > Dan

    Hi Dan.
    Thanks for the answer anf the links. I have downloaded Arena with some
    engines. But I looks quite complicated, but I will give it a try.

    /Hans
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,alt.comp.freeware.games (More info?)

    "Hans J. Jensen" <jjjg3401@hotmail.spam> wrote
    > Thanks for the answer anf the links. I have downloaded Arena with some
    > engines. But I looks quite complicated, but I will give it a try.
    >

    If you want a simple free chess program that's simple to use
    and can play at various levels from beginner to master, try:

    Der Bringer:
    http://chess.kearman.com/bringer/bringer-index.html

    You just unzip the zip file to a directory/folder and then click
    on the icon. It has a nice GUI interface.

    Good luck
    Patrick
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    Dan Kalish wrote:
    > See below:
    >
    > "Vegard Krog Petersen" <vegard_krog_petersen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > news:d0mv80$cj4$1@news.tdcnorge.no...
    >
    >>Hans J. Jensen wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi NG.
    >>>I know this question properly have been asked many times before, but
    >
    > anyway:
    >
    >>>Does anyone know a good _free_ program for playing chess against the
    >>>computer?
    >>>
    >>>/Hans
    >>
    >>
    >>Rudy has some in his Board section:
    >>http://www.caiman.us/scripts/fw/fboard.html
    >>
    >>Free, but I have no idea if they are any good... :-)
    >
    > ...
    >
    >>Vegard Krog Petersen, Norway
    >>
    >
    >
    > There are literally hundreds of programs. So many programmers developed
    > these with no compensation. You need two parts: the user interface and the
    > engine.
    >
    > The interface is the part that deals with the user, i.e. I/O. In general,
    > there are three types of interfaces for IBM compatibles: Winboard (Xboard
    > for Mac), UCI, and Chessbase.
    >
    > The engine is the part that calculates moves. Engines may be designed for
    > only one type interface, in which case it is called "native." Most engines
    > these days are designed for two or three types. Chessbase has made its
    > recent programs (I think starting with Fritz 6; I know Junior 8 and Hiarcs 8
    > work) suitable for UCI. Arena, mentioned in an earlier post, is UCI.
    >
    > Here are some links to sites which explain this in more detail and which
    > provide free programs:
    >
    > http://www.tim-mann.org/engines.html
    > http://www.aarontay.per.sg/Winboard/index.html
    > http://www.aarontay.per.sg/Winboard/article.html
    > http://www.aarontay.per.sg/Winboard/Winboard4.html#[D.4]
    > http://www.moq.dk/WinBoard.htm
    > http://wbforum.volker-pittlik.name/profile.php
    > http://www.winboardengines.de/html/winboard-detailpages.html
    > http://www.chessville.com/links/links_comp_computer.htm
    > http://www.geocities.com/lyapko/rat30.htm
    >
    > I found out about this the same way you did: by inquiring of this newsgroup.
    > Jonathan Beckett wrote back, suggesting:
    >
    > SCID
    > Winboard
    > Arena
    > Crafty
    > Ruffian.

    Download jose-chess from http://jose-chess.sf.net; it is a chess
    database/chess interface, featuring a 3D board and great user interface;
    it also comes with Crafty, as good a free engine as you will ever want.
    Best of all, jose-chess is Free Software!

    (Herr Schäffer, hope this is all right :D)
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,alt.comp.freeware.games (More info?)

    * Hans J. Jensen <jjjg3401@hotmail.spam> (09:34) schrieb:

    > Thanks for the answer anf the links. I have downloaded Arena with some
    > engines. But I looks quite complicated, but I will give it a try.

    For simple Tasks it's simple. Select you engine, and drag/drop your
    moves. The leftmost Button in the toolbar is for a fresh board. You can
    enable tooltips in the help menu.

    mfg, simon .... l
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,alt.comp.freeware.games (More info?)

    "RPM1" wrote:
    [cut]
    > If you want a simple free chess program that's simple to use
    > and can play at various levels from beginner to master, try:
    >
    > Der Bringer:
    > http://chess.kearman.com/bringer/bringer-index.html
    >
    > You just unzip the zip file to a directory/folder and then click
    > on the icon. It has a nice GUI interface.
    >
    > Good luck
    > Patrick

    Thanks. I have also downloaded that program now. Maybe you know: How do I
    change the strength of the program? Fx. the search depth. (I guess that I am
    not looking the correct place.)

    /Hans
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,alt.comp.freeware.games (More info?)

    "Hans J. Jensen" <jjjg3401@hotmail.spam> wrote...
    > "RPM1" wrote:
    > [cut]
    > > If you want a simple free chess program that's simple to use
    > > and can play at various levels from beginner to master, try:
    > >
    > > Der Bringer:
    > > http://chess.kearman.com/bringer/bringer-index.html
    > >
    > > You just unzip the zip file to a directory/folder and then click
    > > on the icon. It has a nice GUI interface.
    > >
    > > Good luck
    > > Patrick
    >
    > Thanks. I have also downloaded that program now. Maybe you know: How do I
    > change the strength of the program? Fx. the search depth. (I guess that I
    am
    > not looking the correct place.)

    Click on the Game menu and choose Level to set the
    level, (search depth).

    Click on the Options menu and choose Settings to
    turn "Permanent Brain" on or off. This setting allows it to
    think while it's your move. You can also set the programs
    approximate Elo rating from Options-->Settings and then
    click the "Engine" tab. There you can lower the Elo rating.
    It only goes down to 1360 so if you try to set the rating
    lower it won't accept it.

    If I set the Elo to 1360 and set the Level to one ply and turn
    Permanent Brain off, my 7 year old son can kill the program.
    If I set it to it's strongest settings it will play master level chess.

    Have fun!
    Patrick
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    "Simon Krahnke" skrev
    > Hans J. Jensen (09:34) schrieb:
    >
    > > Thanks for the answer anf the links. I have downloaded Arena with some
    > > engines. But I looks quite complicated, but I will give it a try.
    >
    > For simple Tasks it's simple. Select you engine, and drag/drop your
    > moves. The leftmost Button in the toolbar is for a fresh board. You can
    > enable tooltips in the help menu.
    >
    > mfg, simon .... l

    Ok, so I figured out the basics. But while playing with the program I think
    I changed a lot of things. But does that matter?

    /Hans
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    Hans J. Jensen wrote:
    > "Simon Krahnke" skrev
    >
    >>Hans J. Jensen (09:34) schrieb:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Thanks for the answer anf the links. I have downloaded Arena with some
    >>>engines. But I looks quite complicated, but I will give it a try.
    >>
    >>For simple Tasks it's simple. Select you engine, and drag/drop your
    >>moves. The leftmost Button in the toolbar is for a fresh board. You can
    >>enable tooltips in the help menu.
    >>
    >>mfg, simon .... l
    >
    >
    > Ok, so I figured out the basics. But while playing with the program I think
    > I changed a lot of things. But does that matter?
    >
    > /Hans
    >
    >
    depends on the changes...
Ask a new question

Read More

Freeware Computers Games Video Games