regional protection

does the gamecube have a regional protection?

can I play Japan or China games on my gamecude brought in Canada ?
1 answer Last reply
More about regional protection
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    "Mel" <mbourbonREMOVE@caeTHIS.com> writes:
    > does the gamecube have a regional protection?

    yes

    > can I play Japan or China games on my gamecude brought in Canada ?

    There's apparently (commercial) software which enables this called
    "freeloader". I gather it was intended mostly for playing U.S. games in
    europe: I don't know if there are problems with other region
    combinations.

    There's also a hardware mod you can make to add a switch for switching
    between U.S. and Japanese mode (the hardware is identical except for a
    single connection on the motherboard). I think various companies offer
    a mod service for those who aren't skillful with that sort of thing.

    -Miles
    --
    `The suburb is an obsolete and contradictory form of human settlement'

Console Gaming Games Video Gamecube Nintendo Video Games