Does Gamecube component video cable work with the SNES?

Last response: in Video Games
May 11, 2005 1:51:10 AM

The Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64 and the Gamecube all have the same
shaped Audio/Video output, and they all came with that yellow-red-white
cable, right?

If I was to plug a Gamecube component video cable into the back of a
SNES or N64 would it work?
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 6:29:06 PM

<artie5@aol.com> wrote in message
> The Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64 and the Gamecube all have the same
> shaped Audio/Video output, and they all came with that yellow-red-white
> cable, right?
>
> If I was to plug a Gamecube component video cable into the back of a
> SNES or N64 would it work?

The component video cable is the red, blue and green cables used for DTV
signals. Composite is the yellow video cable. Yes, the composite video cable
(with it's associated stereo audio) will work on all three systems (as will
an S-video cable).

--
figmentPez
May 11, 2005 7:33:14 PM

On 10 May 2005 21:51:10 -0700, artie5@aol.com wrote:

>The Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64 and the Gamecube all have the same
>shaped Audio/Video output, and they all came with that yellow-red-white
>cable, right?
>
>If I was to plug a Gamecube component video cable into the back of a
>SNES or N64 would it work?

No. The SNES and N64 don't have the digital out port that the GCN
component cables use. While the s-video, composite, and RF cables can
all use the same a/v port across all three platforms, only the GCN has
the seperate digital out port (provided you have a GCN that actually
has the port since Nintendo removed it after May 04).
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 8:20:40 PM

On 10 May 2005 21:51:10 -0700, artie5@aol.com wrote:

>The Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64 and the Gamecube all have the same
>shaped Audio/Video output, and they all came with that yellow-red-white
>cable, right?
>
>If I was to plug a Gamecube component video cable into the back of a
>SNES or N64 would it work?

First, it's composite not compoment cable. Yes they all will work
together. Oddly Nindendo didn't stay with their standard when they
had S-Video and RGB cable (not the compoment, the old RGB). original
SNES worked with RGB but not SNES2. And someone told me that S-Video
wouldn't work on SNES2 or N64 but worked on SNES.