really bad service - follow up

Last week, I asked this NG for help with Dell, which refused to honor
its CompleteCare service contract with me when the HD on my laptop
developed read errors. The errors began immediately after the laptop
was trasported in a briefcase. (I had been a happy Dell for customer
for 15 years before this incident.)

I have since received a written response from Dell. Their claim is
that my HD failed during normal use, not due to accidental damage, and
therefore is not covered by the CompleteCare contract.

Apparently, Dell is under the impression that a HD is more likely to
fail if it is not damaged than if it is damaged. Amazing.

Dell did not offer any explantion for the three service reps who hung
up on me, and did not offer any compensation for the fact that I
placed the service call to them on Wendesday, and, after perhaps 5
hours on the phone, I still won't get the new drive until next Tuesday
or Wednesday.

So that's the story. I guess Dell's service is still better than some
other companies', but gone are the days when I could count on Dell to
come fix a broken computer. And that's what I really need.

-Joel

"...my HD failed during normal use, not due to accidental damage, and
therefore is not covered by the CompleteCare contract." In other words, if you
take out your hard drive, and it falls accidentally to the floor and you
clumsily stomp on it, the replacement is covered by the CompleteCare contract?
But if you do nothing to provike the hard drive failure, the replacement is
covered by the CompleteCare contract? Is George Orwell working for Dell now?
"CompleteCare" sounds like a very Orwellian term. Reminds me of the old ad for
Allstate car insurance: "You're in good hands with Allstate." The parody, of
course, showed fumbling hands.

At a minimum, I think you should get in touch with Ed Foster, one-time
Inforworld editor, who now e-publishes his gripe log. Then go back and read the
fine print of your CompleteCare contract again, and maybe contact your state
department of consumer affairs.

From my own personal viewpoint, I tend to think of extended warranty contracts
on computers to be just like the same for fridges, washers, dryers, TVs, etc.
They generate a lot of revenue for the company offering the contract, and little
or no benefit for the owner of the computer. Exceptions? Possibly a notebook
computer. Large numbers of computers owned by a large enterprise with a lot of
financial clout with the computer company. For the rest of us? Well, not
exactly priceless. EXPENSIVE is the word... Ben Myers

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 12:58:30 GMT, joel@exc.com (Dr. Joel M. Hoffman) wrote:

>Last week, I asked this NG for help with Dell, which refused to honor
>its CompleteCare service contract with me when the HD on my laptop
>developed read errors. The errors began immediately after the laptop
>was trasported in a briefcase. (I had been a happy Dell for customer
>for 15 years before this incident.)
>
>I have since received a written response from Dell. Their claim is
>that my HD failed during normal use, not due to accidental damage, and
>therefore is not covered by the CompleteCare contract.
>
>Apparently, Dell is under the impression that a HD is more likely to
>fail if it is not damaged than if it is damaged. Amazing.
>
>Dell did not offer any explantion for the three service reps who hung
>up on me, and did not offer any compensation for the fact that I
>placed the service call to them on Wendesday, and, after perhaps 5
>hours on the phone, I still won't get the new drive until next Tuesday
>or Wednesday.
>
>So that's the story. I guess Dell's service is still better than some
>other companies', but gone are the days when I could count on Dell to
>come fix a broken computer. And that's what I really need.
>
>-Joel

>Free 35mm lens/digicam reviews: http://www.exc.com/photography

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Sounds like Dell is taking a chapter from the car insurance companies.
If a rock gets kicked up from a tractor trailer and hits your
windshield, they won't cover it under their "normal usage" clause.
However, if you tell them a person threw a rock at your windshield, it
will be covered under your comprehensive (minus the deductible).
Nothing like phrasing things properly ;P

I would say hard drive failure on laptops is one of the most common
hardware issues due to the shock and eventual contact made between the
platter and the head. The IBM commercials with the guy dropping the
laptop from a lunch-counter are complete BS.

(notice he says "check please" and gets the ---- out of there, even
though its a commercial for an IBM drive. He knows damn well its not
gonna work)

Bottom line -- laptop hard drives break. A lot. When I was a Dell
technician I was _never_ given a call for a laptop hard drive,
probably because its "user serviceable" like keyboards (oh yea,
everyone just loves tearing apart their laptop and putting new
keyboards on :p ).

>So that's the story. I guess Dell's service is still better than some
>other companies', but gone are the days when I could count on Dell to
>come fix a broken computer. And that's what I really need.

That's because Dell and its outsourcing cronies have decided that it
can outsource service even without outsourcing it overseas. It pays
the on-site technicians third-world wages while demanding they live in
first-world pay-scale regions. Keep expecting the same.

Dan

wrote:

>Last week, I asked this NG for help with Dell, which refused to honor
>its CompleteCare service contract with me when the HD on my laptop
>developed read errors. The errors began immediately after the laptop
>was trasported in a briefcase. (I had been a happy Dell for customer
>for 15 years before this incident.)
>
>I have since received a written response from Dell. Their claim is
>that my HD failed during normal use, not due to accidental damage, and
>therefore is not covered by the CompleteCare contract.
>
>Apparently, Dell is under the impression that a HD is more likely to
>fail if it is not damaged than if it is damaged. Amazing.
>
>Dell did not offer any explantion for the three service reps who hung
>up on me, and did not offer any compensation for the fact that I
>placed the service call to them on Wendesday, and, after perhaps 5
>hours on the phone, I still won't get the new drive until next Tuesday
>or Wednesday.

Joel,

I've been on vacation for the last week and just read your thread.
Some of the responses you received nearly had me laughing myself out of my
chair.
We have three Dell computers, purchased over a period of six years. In that
time we have seen Dell's customer service go from the best in the industry
to mediocre(and that may be too complimentary).
I would suggest explaining your experience in detail via a letter to Michael
Dell? Send it certified, return receipt and send a copy to your state's
Consumers Affairs Office or Attorney General. Be sure to indicate in your
letter to Michael Dell that you have copied the CAO or AG. This worked for
us when we had a support problem. Based on what you have said, this may not
get you a new hard drive any faster, but it will make Michael Dell and your
state's authorities aware of how some of Dell's employees are treating it's
customers. And who knows, it might get you some form of compensation(don't
hold your breath, though-->g<)
After more than six years and three top of the line Dimension computers, we
no longer buy Dell.

Oh, yes, stand by for the flames that will be directed at me by the Dell
"regulars" of this group.

"Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel@exc.com> wrote in message

> Last week, I asked this NG for help with Dell, which refused to honor
> its CompleteCare service contract with me when the HD on my laptop
> developed read errors. The errors began immediately after the laptop
> was trasported in a briefcase. (I had been a happy Dell for customer
> for 15 years before this incident.)
>
> I have since received a written response from Dell. Their claim is
> that my HD failed during normal use, not due to accidental damage, and
> therefore is not covered by the CompleteCare contract.
>
> Apparently, Dell is under the impression that a HD is more likely to
> fail if it is not damaged than if it is damaged. Amazing.
>
> Dell did not offer any explantion for the three service reps who hung
> up on me, and did not offer any compensation for the fact that I
> placed the service call to them on Wendesday, and, after perhaps 5
> hours on the phone, I still won't get the new drive until next Tuesday
> or Wednesday.
>
> So that's the story. I guess Dell's service is still better than some
> other companies', but gone are the days when I could count on Dell to
> come fix a broken computer. And that's what I really need.
>
> -Joel

> Free 35mm lens/digicam reviews: http://www.exc.com/photography

Did you read the CompleteCareTM Accidental Damage Service coverage
before you purchase the service? If you have then which part from Dell
says that they are not honoring their CompleteCareTM Accidental Damage
Service agreement?

If you want normal wear and tear coverage, you should purchase their
Limited Warranty, Services and Support Options. I had Dell's power
supply failure and it was coverage within a year of normal wear and
tear usage. They came to my house and replaced it. On a different
occassion, the fan noise was too loud and they came to my house to
replace that too. If both were caused by accidental damage, then the
Accidental Damage Service will kick in.

CompleteCareTM Accidental Damage Service:

Damage in a fire Not covered - possible insurance coverage
Intentional damage (hammer marks) Not covered - user responsible
Stolen unit Not covered - possible insurance coverage
Normal wear(does not affect system performance) Not covered

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:
> Last week, I asked this NG for help with Dell, which refused to honor
> its CompleteCare service contract with me when the HD on my laptop
> developed read errors. The errors began immediately after the laptop
> was trasported in a briefcase. (I had been a happy Dell for customer
> for 15 years before this incident.)
>
> I have since received a written response from Dell. Their claim is
> that my HD failed during normal use, not due to accidental damage, and
> therefore is not covered by the CompleteCare contract.
>
> Apparently, Dell is under the impression that a HD is more likely to
> fail if it is not damaged than if it is damaged. Amazing.
>
> Dell did not offer any explantion for the three service reps who hung
> up on me, and did not offer any compensation for the fact that I
> placed the service call to them on Wendesday, and, after perhaps 5
> hours on the phone, I still won't get the new drive until next Tuesday
> or Wednesday.
>
> So that's the story. I guess Dell's service is still better than some
> other companies', but gone are the days when I could count on Dell to
> come fix a broken computer. And that's what I really need.
>
> -Joel

> Free 35mm lens/digicam reviews: http://www.exc.com/photography

"After more than six years...we no longer buy Dell."

But you're still posting in this newsgroup!

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

> But you're still posting in this newsgroup!
>
> --
> Ted Zieglar

Did you read what I posted:

"We have three Dell computers, purchased over a period of six years. In
that time we have seen Dell's customer service go from the best in the
industry to mediocre(and that may be too complimentary).

Is this easier to read:

WE HAVE THREE DELL COMPUTERS, PURCHASED OVER A PERIOD OF SIX YEARS.

Are there some other requirement for "posting to this newsgroup". Where
else would we get information on problems with our computers. Certainly, no
longer from Dell Tech Support.
Maybe, by your standards, all posts must be complimentary to Dell. Or
possibly all posts must be approved by Ted Zieglar?

Ted, if you don't like what I post, please feel free to add me to your "kill
file". It won't hurt my feelings in the least. >g<

> [...]
>> >
>> > Dell did not offer any explantion for the three service reps who hung
>> > up on me, and did not offer any compensation for the fact that I
>> > placed the service call to them on Wendesday, and, after perhaps 5
>> > hours on the phone, I still won't get the new drive until next Tuesday
>> > or Wednesday.
>> >
>> > So that's the story. I guess Dell's service is still better than some
>> > other companies', but gone are the days when I could count on Dell to
>> > come fix a broken computer. And that's what I really need.
>> >
>> > -Joel

>> > Free 35mm lens/digicam reviews: http://www.exc.com/photography

> Of course I read it, and I quoted it to the service rep. The part
> they did not honor was the part that promises that Dell will
> reinstall the OS if they have to replace the HD. The service rep told
> me Dell would not reinstall the OS. When I forwarded him a copy of

Let me understand your problem here... so, your gripe with Dell is that
they would not reinstall the OS? But your hard drive failure was due
normal use, was it not? And you are saying you provide them a brand
new hard drive that you bought yourself and they wouldn't reinstall the
OS for you? And everyone here jumping on the bandwagon and start Dell
bashing for this reason?

At last...I agree with something you posted: PLONK.

--

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005, Irene wrote:

> Joel,
>
> I've been on vacation for the last week and just read your thread.
> Some of the responses you received nearly had me laughing myself out of my
> chair.
> We have three Dell computers, purchased over a period of six years. In that
> time we have seen Dell's customer service go from the best in the industry
> to mediocre(and that may be too complimentary).
> I would suggest explaining your experience in detail via a letter to Michael
> Dell? Send it certified, return receipt and send a copy to your state's
> Consumers Affairs Office or Attorney General. Be sure to indicate in your
> letter to Michael Dell that you have copied the CAO or AG. This worked for
> us when we had a support problem. Based on what you have said, this may not
> get you a new hard drive any faster, but it will make Michael Dell and your
> state's authorities aware of how some of Dell's employees are treating it's
> customers. And who knows, it might get you some form of compensation(don't
> hold your breath, though-->g<)
> After more than six years and three top of the line Dimension computers, we
> no longer buy Dell.
>
> Oh, yes, stand by for the flames that will be directed at me by the Dell
> "regulars" of this group.

No sarcasm in this question...if you no longer buy Dell, what DO you buy?
It seems like NO ONE has decent tech support anymore. What's a person,
shopping around for a new computer, to DO in this day and age?

MB

Fortunately, we have access to a small local shop that does very good work.
They have been in business for over ten years and have an excellent
reputation. Basically, they do systems for local businesses, but my husband
knows the owner, so they built our newest computer.They limit the orders
they take and stand behind what they build.
We have been extremely pleased with the computer that we bought from them.
Yes, it did cost a few hundred dollars more than a similar Dell, but we got
to specify the exact components that were used.
If I were asked, I would suggest first, a "roll you own" . If you don't have
the background to do that, I would then suggest finding a company like the
one we found to build up something to specification. Next a business
computer purchased from a major business computer manufacturer. And, these
days, last would be a consumer computer of any brand.
I hope this answers you question.

Irene

"Marilyn E. Burford" <burford@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 Jul 2005, Irene wrote:
>
>> Joel,
>>
>> I've been on vacation for the last week and just read your thread.
>> Some of the responses you received nearly had me laughing myself out of
>> my
>> chair.
>> We have three Dell computers, purchased over a period of six years. In
>> that
>> time we have seen Dell's customer service go from the best in the
>> industry
>> to mediocre(and that may be too complimentary).
>> I would suggest explaining your experience in detail via a letter to
>> Michael
>> Dell? Send it certified, return receipt and send a copy to your state's
>> Consumers Affairs Office or Attorney General. Be sure to indicate in your
>> letter to Michael Dell that you have copied the CAO or AG. This worked
>> for
>> us when we had a support problem. Based on what you have said, this may
>> not
>> get you a new hard drive any faster, but it will make Michael Dell and
>> your
>> state's authorities aware of how some of Dell's employees are treating
>> it's
>> customers. And who knows, it might get you some form of
>> compensation(don't
>> hold your breath, though-->g<)
>> After more than six years and three top of the line Dimension computers,
>> we
>> no longer buy Dell.
>>
>> Oh, yes, stand by for the flames that will be directed at me by the Dell
>> "regulars" of this group.
>
> No sarcasm in this question...if you no longer buy Dell, what DO you buy?
> It seems like NO ONE has decent tech support anymore. What's a person,
> shopping around for a new computer, to DO in this day and age?
>
> MB

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I think your suggestions are all
quite reasonable. The service he received, based on his recount, was
unacceptable. I hope they step up.

Tom
"Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Joel,
>
> I've been on vacation for the last week and just read your thread.
> Some of the responses you received nearly had me laughing myself out of my
> chair.
> We have three Dell computers, purchased over a period of six years. In
> that time we have seen Dell's customer service go from the best in the
> industry to mediocre(and that may be too complimentary).
> I would suggest explaining your experience in detail via a letter to
> Michael Dell? Send it certified, return receipt and send a copy to your
> state's Consumers Affairs Office or Attorney General. Be sure to indicate
> in your letter to Michael Dell that you have copied the CAO or AG. This
> worked for us when we had a support problem. Based on what you have said,
> this may not get you a new hard drive any faster, but it will make Michael
> Dell and your state's authorities aware of how some of Dell's employees
> are treating it's customers. And who knows, it might get you some form of
> compensation(don't hold your breath, though-->g<)
> After more than six years and three top of the line Dimension computers,
> we no longer buy Dell.
>
> Oh, yes, stand by for the flames that will be directed at me by the Dell
> "regulars" of this group.
>

> "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel@exc.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Last week, I asked this NG for help with Dell, which refused to honor
>> its CompleteCare service contract with me when the HD on my laptop
>> developed read errors. The errors began immediately after the laptop
>> was trasported in a briefcase. (I had been a happy Dell for customer
>> for 15 years before this incident.)
>>
>> I have since received a written response from Dell. Their claim is
>> that my HD failed during normal use, not due to accidental damage, and
>> therefore is not covered by the CompleteCare contract.
>>
>> Apparently, Dell is under the impression that a HD is more likely to
>> fail if it is not damaged than if it is damaged. Amazing.
>>
>> Dell did not offer any explantion for the three service reps who hung
>> up on me, and did not offer any compensation for the fact that I
>> placed the service call to them on Wendesday, and, after perhaps 5
>> hours on the phone, I still won't get the new drive until next Tuesday
>> or Wednesday.
>>
>> So that's the story. I guess Dell's service is still better than some
>> other companies', but gone are the days when I could count on Dell to
>> come fix a broken computer. And that's what I really need.
>>
>> -Joel

>> Free 35mm lens/digicam reviews: http://www.exc.com/photography

In article <Y0SCe.10838$1Y1.1192@fe02.lga>, girlsrule@hotmail.com
says...
> We have three Dell computers, purchased over a period of six years. In that
> time we have seen Dell's customer service go from the best in the industry
> to mediocre(and that may be too complimentary).
> I would suggest explaining your experience in detail via a letter to Michael
> Dell? Send it certified, return receipt and send a copy to your state's
> Consumers Affairs Office or Attorney General. Be sure to indicate in your
> letter to Michael Dell that you have copied the CAO or AG. This worked for
> us when we had a support problem.

Irene, we ordered more than 1mm from Dell a couple years ago, then about
..5mm from them last year - I've seen their service over the last 4 years
go from quality based US support to terrible non-US based support and
from quality on-site service techs to the lowest bidder and terrible on-
site service.

We still buy Dell, but we take the path of buying parts and building our
own now, and then purchase from Dell when needed.

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

I'm sorry, we have another source for computers, so there is no longer any
reason for us to buy from Dell and have to accept the degraded service.

> In article <Y0SCe.10838$1Y1.1192@fe02.lga>, girlsrule@hotmail.com
> says...
>> We have three Dell computers, purchased over a period of six years. In
>> that
>> time we have seen Dell's customer service go from the best in the
>> industry
>> to mediocre(and that may be too complimentary).
>> I would suggest explaining your experience in detail via a letter to
>> Michael
>> Dell? Send it certified, return receipt and send a copy to your state's
>> Consumers Affairs Office or Attorney General. Be sure to indicate in your
>> letter to Michael Dell that you have copied the CAO or AG. This worked
>> for
>> us when we had a support problem.
>
> Irene, we ordered more than 1mm from Dell a couple years ago, then about
> .5mm from them last year - I've seen their service over the last 4 years
> go from quality based US support to terrible non-US based support and
> from quality on-site service techs to the lowest bidder and terrible on-
> site service.
>
> We still buy Dell, but we take the path of buying parts and building our
> own now, and then purchase from Dell when needed.

> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

Definitely Kafkaesque? Or Orwellian? "CompleteCareTM" is incomplete and
"Limited Warranty, Services and Support Options" covers things that
"CompleteCareTM". What the US government and Microsoft are doing seems to be
infecting everything else. Sort of like "No Child Left Behind", except they are
all getting left behind... Ben Myers

On 18 Jul 2005 11:34:05 -0700, kelvinyany@gmail.com wrote:

>Did you read the CompleteCareTM Accidental Damage Service coverage
>before you purchase the service? If you have then which part from Dell
>says that they are not honoring their CompleteCareTM Accidental Damage
>Service agreement?
>
>If you want normal wear and tear coverage, you should purchase their
>Limited Warranty, Services and Support Options. I had Dell's power
>supply failure and it was coverage within a year of normal wear and
>tear usage. They came to my house and replaced it. On a different
>occassion, the fan noise was too loud and they came to my house to
>replace that too. If both were caused by accidental damage, then the
>Accidental Damage Service will kick in.
>

>CompleteCareTM Accidental Damage Service:
>
>Damage in a fire Not covered - possible insurance coverage
>Intentional damage (hammer marks) Not covered - user responsible
>Stolen unit Not covered - possible insurance coverage
>Normal wear(does not affect system performance) Not covered
>

>Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:
>> Last week, I asked this NG for help with Dell, which refused to honor
>> its CompleteCare service contract with me when the HD on my laptop
>> developed read errors. The errors began immediately after the laptop
>> was trasported in a briefcase. (I had been a happy Dell for customer
>> for 15 years before this incident.)
>>
>> I have since received a written response from Dell. Their claim is
>> that my HD failed during normal use, not due to accidental damage, and
>> therefore is not covered by the CompleteCare contract.
>>
>> Apparently, Dell is under the impression that a HD is more likely to
>> fail if it is not damaged than if it is damaged. Amazing.
>>
>> Dell did not offer any explantion for the three service reps who hung
>> up on me, and did not offer any compensation for the fact that I
>> placed the service call to them on Wendesday, and, after perhaps 5
>> hours on the phone, I still won't get the new drive until next Tuesday
>> or Wednesday.
>>
>> So that's the story. I guess Dell's service is still better than some
>> other companies', but gone are the days when I could count on Dell to
>> come fix a broken computer. And that's what I really need.
>>
>> -Joel

>> Free 35mm lens/digicam reviews: http://www.exc.com/photography

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

So, exactly how far did fall when it slipped out of your hands?
Was running at the time, right?

> Last week, I asked this NG for help with Dell, which refused to honor
> its CompleteCare service contract with me when the HD on my laptop
> developed read errors. The errors began immediately after the laptop
> was trasported in a briefcase. (I had been a happy Dell for customer

>No sarcasm in this question...if you no longer buy Dell, what DO you buy?
>It seems like NO ONE has decent tech support anymore. What's a person,
>shopping around for a new computer, to DO in this day and age?

From my point of view, I'll either (a) still buy Dell but not shell
out hundreds of dollars for a service contract; or (b) buy a Sony
laptop, because Sony makes GREAT machines, and just accept the fact
that if it breaks, I'm on my own

-Joel

Free Bible and Mishna printouts in Hebrew: http://liturgy.exc.com/

>Did you read the CompleteCareTM Accidental Damage Service coverage

Of course I read it, and I quoted it to the service rep. The part
they did not honor was the part that promises that Dell will
reinstall the OS if they have to replace the HD. The service rep told
me Dell would not reinstall the OS. When I forwarded him a copy of
the service contract, he told me that to have that part of the
contract honored he would have to escalate the call. (For what it's
worth, I have that in writing.)

-Joel Hoffman

> >No sarcasm in this question...if you no longer buy Dell, what DO you buy?
>>It seems like NO ONE has decent tech support anymore. What's a person,
>>shopping around for a new computer, to DO in this day and age?
>
> From my point of view, I'll either (a) still buy Dell but not shell
> out hundreds of dollars for a service contract; or (b) buy a Sony
> laptop, because Sony makes GREAT machines, and just accept the fact
> that if it breaks, I'm on my own
>
> -Joel

You might want to do a little more homework on the reliability of Sony
laptops.

Tom

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005, Tom Scales wrote:

> "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel@exc.com> wrote in message
> > >No sarcasm in this question...if you no longer buy Dell, what DO you buy?
> >>It seems like NO ONE has decent tech support anymore. What's a person,
> >>shopping around for a new computer, to DO in this day and age?
> >
> > From my point of view, I'll either (a) still buy Dell but not shell
> > out hundreds of dollars for a service contract; or (b) buy a Sony
> > laptop, because Sony makes GREAT machines, and just accept the fact
> > that if it breaks, I'm on my own
> >
> You might want to do a little more homework on the reliability of Sony
> laptops.

Which brings up another topic of interest to me. How do Dell laptops
compare with other brands? And if Dell laptops are pretty decent machines,
what brands are equally decent, if not better?

MB

> On Mon, 18 Jul 2005, Tom Scales wrote:
>

>> "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel@exc.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > From my point of view, I'll either (a) still buy Dell but not shell
>> > out hundreds of dollars for a service contract; or (b) buy a Sony
>> > laptop, because Sony makes GREAT machines, and just accept the fact
>> > that if it breaks, I'm on my own
>> >
>> You might want to do a little more homework on the reliability of Sony
>> laptops.
>
> Which brings up another topic of interest to me. How do Dell laptops
> compare with other brands? And if Dell laptops are pretty decent machines,
> what brands are equally decent, if not better?
>
> MB

Can't comment if their quality will continue to be superior, but in my
experience the best of the bunch have been IBM Thinkpads. My X40 is an
unbelievable piece of engineering.

Tom

bill

On 18 Jul 2005 15:17:11 -0700, kelvinyany@gmail.com wrote:

[. . .]
>Let me understand your problem here... so, your gripe with Dell is that
>they would not reinstall the OS?

It is intuitively obvious to most casual readers that the problems is
that Dell did not do what they said they would do in the contract
provided.

bill

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 02:07:30 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:

[. . .]

>Can't comment if their quality will continue to be superior, but in my
>experience the best of the bunch have been IBM Thinkpads. My X40 is an
>unbelievable piece of engineering.
>
>Tom

Wonder how that will hold up under the new owners?

vanguard

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004

Marilyn E. Burford wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jul 2005, Irene wrote:
>
> > Joel,
> >
> > I've been on vacation for the last week and just read your thread.
> > Some of the responses you received nearly had me laughing myself out of my
> > chair.
> > We have three Dell computers, purchased over a period of six years. In that
> > time we have seen Dell's customer service go from the best in the industry
> > to mediocre(and that may be too complimentary).
> > I would suggest explaining your experience in detail via a letter to Michael
> > Dell? Send it certified, return receipt and send a copy to your state's
> > Consumers Affairs Office or Attorney General. Be sure to indicate in your
> > letter to Michael Dell that you have copied the CAO or AG. This worked for
> > us when we had a support problem. Based on what you have said, this may not
> > get you a new hard drive any faster, but it will make Michael Dell and your
> > state's authorities aware of how some of Dell's employees are treating it's
> > customers. And who knows, it might get you some form of compensation(don't
> > hold your breath, though-->g<)
> > After more than six years and three top of the line Dimension computers, we
> > no longer buy Dell.
> >
> > Oh, yes, stand by for the flames that will be directed at me by the Dell
> > "regulars" of this group.
>
> No sarcasm in this question...if you no longer buy Dell, what DO you buy?
> It seems like NO ONE has decent tech support anymore. What's a person,
> shopping around for a new computer, to DO in this day and age?
>
> MB

Joel's experience is not the norm for Dell. It wouldn't be acceptable for
any company, least of all one of the largest in the industry. I know
people, IT guys actually, who have been burned by every company you could
care to name. One friend authorized the purchase of 120 Acer laptops on the
personal guarantee of a senior sales executive at Acer. That was about
$150,000 worth of laptops. They were shipped on time, arrived in perfect
condition and with a representative from Acer to help with dispersal and
installation. At the end of two weeks more than 20% of the units had
failed. After three months only 50 of the laptops had not experienced some
sort of hardware issue. Needless to say, those machines were returned to
Acer, all 120 of them.

They now have new units from Fujitsu and have had no appreciable
difficulties with them since delivery. You can never tell what you're going
to get until you get it and run it. I have friends that swear by HP and
some that swear at HP. The same goes for Dell, Sony and Toshiba. So far,
my two new Dell machines are running just fine. You just can't tell.