Overclock

G

In order to run stable at higher core clock I have to lower the mem clock. Say the core is at 300MHz, the memory has to be lowered to 252MHz (504MHz DDR) to be COMPLETELY stable. Is this a good configuration, or should I rather go with a lower core and higher mem? Maybe a core of 280MHz and a mem of 280MHz (560MHz DDR)...

I know you get a better CPU overclock by raising the FSB and not the core, but what about on a GPU?

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
what card are you overclocking?
if its the R8500...it benefits more from a memory speed increase than the GPU spped increase...as for the geforce line...im not sure.

<b><font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s drivers are like a broken faucet, they both keep on leaking...</b> :cool:

G

I´m using a Radeon 8500. Thanks for the help, I´ll raise the memmory!!!

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Usually you'll get much better performance by raising the memory speeds than you will by raising the core speeds cause most cards nowadays are memory bandwidth limited and not core limited. For the most part raising the memory speeds will increase your performance by increasing the bandwidth.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Memory bandwidth is the limiting factor these days. However, try both ways and benchmark both ways. You'll be able to get your own answer.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>