DSebring

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2005

This has started happening for the last several months after working fine for
over a year.

I go to send a fax and the dialog locks up, I check fxssvc.exe in services
and find it says "Stopping" but it is hung, and will not stop or start.

If I kill the fxssvc.exe task and start the service it will work.

But I am getting tired of having to do this everyday sometimes more than
once a day, I have uninstalled & reinstalled Fax several times.

PLEASE do not advise me to look at the "Trouble shooting sending & recieving
faxs in Winows XP" base article. It has nothing about this issue.

Try reinstalling/updating your modem driver

John A

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 22:15:02 -0700, "Dsebring"
<Dsebring@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>This has started happening for the last several months after working fine for
>over a year.
>
>I go to send a fax and the dialog locks up, I check fxssvc.exe in services
>and find it says "Stopping" but it is hung, and will not stop or start.
>
>If I kill the fxssvc.exe task and start the service it will work.
>
>But I am getting tired of having to do this everyday sometimes more than
>once a day, I have uninstalled & reinstalled Fax several times.
>
>PLEASE do not advise me to look at the "Trouble shooting sending & recieving
>faxs in Winows XP" base article. It has nothing about this issue.

DSebring

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2005

No Go...

Re installed the Modem driver and rebooted, ran services.msc and found
fxssvc.exe in state "stopping", it is STUCK and can not be stopped or started
from this state, if I KILL the process in task mgr then I am able to start
fxssvc.exe in services.msc and all is well (usually) untill next reboot.

This is the pattern, reboot and something is interfering with fxssvc.exe...

"John A" wrote:

> Try reinstalling/updating your modem driver
>
> John A
>
> On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 22:15:02 -0700, "Dsebring"
> <Dsebring@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >This has started happening for the last several months after working fine for
> >over a year.
> >
> >I go to send a fax and the dialog locks up, I check fxssvc.exe in services
> >and find it says "Stopping" but it is hung, and will not stop or start.
> >
> >If I kill the fxssvc.exe task and start the service it will work.
> >
> >But I am getting tired of having to do this everyday sometimes more than
> >once a day, I have uninstalled & reinstalled Fax several times.
> >
> >PLEASE do not advise me to look at the "Trouble shooting sending & recieving
> >faxs in Winows XP" base article. It has nothing about this issue.

Maybe an SP2 problem? Others with similar problem have found setting
Fax service to Manual Start fixes it.

Otherwise maybe a firewall issue?

John A

>No Go...
>
>Re installed the Modem driver and rebooted, ran services.msc and found
>fxssvc.exe in state "stopping", it is STUCK and can not be stopped or started
>from this state, if I KILL the process in task mgr then I am able to start
>fxssvc.exe in services.msc and all is well (usually) untill next reboot.
>
>This is the pattern, reboot and something is interfering with fxssvc.exe...
>

>"John A" wrote:
>
>> Try reinstalling/updating your modem driver
>>
>> John A
>>
>> On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 22:15:02 -0700, "Dsebring"
>> <Dsebring@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >This has started happening for the last several months after working fine for
>> >over a year.
>> >
>> >I go to send a fax and the dialog locks up, I check fxssvc.exe in services
>> >and find it says "Stopping" but it is hung, and will not stop or start.
>> >
>> >If I kill the fxssvc.exe task and start the service it will work.
>> >
>> >But I am getting tired of having to do this everyday sometimes more than
>> >once a day, I have uninstalled & reinstalled Fax several times.
>> >
>> >PLEASE do not advise me to look at the "Trouble shooting sending & recieving
>> >faxs in Winows XP" base article. It has nothing about this issue.

DSebring

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2005

Maybe...

In any event I have found at least 3 other threads with what sounds like the
same issue the fax service getting "stuck" at stopping.

That is making me lean more towards MS made a change with SP2, rather than
anything particular to my system, not conclusive just leaning towards...

There is also a different problem that is getting many more complaints
regarding an error message when trying to fax, I do not have that problem.

I will try setting to manual start and see if it helps.

Thanks