Unable to get XP to refresh directory when inserting a new..

Windows XP Home edition (5.1 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158: sp2) on a HP a830n.

About 10-20% of the time, when I put a new CD into the CD-ROM, explorer
still shows the content of the last CD. It does not read the new CD.
Browsers, 3rd party application, even the DOS prompt still returns the
content of the previous CD. Refresh does nothing. F5 doesn't help. Even
trying to 'eject' the previous CD and then putting in the new one doesn't
help. So far, the only solution I have is to reboot the system, obviously
not a solution at all. And an impossible solution when the problem shows up
while trying to install a multiple CD program -- the program asks for the 2nd
CD, I put it in, but Windows keeps telling the program that it's still the
1st CD.

HELP! I contacted HP support, but all they did was try to get me to reboot
the box.

Locate and click the following registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage System Provider On
the Edit menu, click Permissions . Click the registry key for the user that
is currently logged on and ensure that Read and Full Control are both set to
Allow . Click the Advanced button, ensure that the user that is currently
logged on is selected, that Full Control is listed in the Permissions
column, and that This Key and Subkeys is listed in the Apply to column.
Click to select the Replace permission entries on all child objects with
entries shown here that apply to child objects check box. Click Apply , and
then click Yes when you receive a prompt to continue. Click OK , and then
click OK again

--
Mark L. Ferguson
FAQ for Windows Antispy