Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Advice for best router in Canada

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 11:19:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Hi,
I need to buy a wireless router and a network card for my home. I
live in Toronto, Canada, and currently have Rogers high speed
internet, but may be switching to Bell Sympatico. (Not too happy with
Rogers. They want to charge me over $100 to move an internet outlet
-- so I figure screw 'em, I will go wireless.)

What is the most cost effective wireless router to buy?

And do they come with the wireless ethernet cards, or will I have to
buy that too? (In which case the cost of router AND card is what I
need to know.)

I need to meet these specifications:

1. For now, it just needs to work with my home desktop, an average
PIII with 512 megs of RAM and normal specs, running Win2k.
2. I would like it to be compatible with Linux Mandrake because my
brother is loaning me his linux box to give it a whirl
3. I am planning on buying a laptop that has "Intel BG2200 802.11b/g
WiFi (Wireless LAN)" built in... can someone explain the difference
between 802.11b and 802.11g and all the other flavours??

I want to buy the initial router and card if it needs it from
somewhere in Toronto this week.

Any advice is appreciated! It is very confusing to me...

Thanks,
Holden

More about : advice router canada

June 12, 2004 9:54:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Check tigerdirect.ca - they have a dlink 802.11b router for $ 24 .

Your questions:

1) cost effective router - see above, dlink -
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...

2) Do they come with cards ? No , not usually, sometimes there is a
bundle... but usually would be for notebook card.

Desktop pci cards:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/category/categor...

If you want usb adapter, best bet seems to be ebay.

802.11b is 2.4 ghz, 11mbps - 802.11g is 2.4 ghz, 54mbps (so theoretically 5
times as fast)
802.11a is 5 ghz, i think up to 75mbps or something . Not very popular and
rarely built in - avoid

802.11g is *almost* always backwards compatible to 802.11b - but with
802.11b stuff being so cheap, and your primary use just being internet ,
there is no reason to go for 802.11g really - your internet connection is
probably max 4mbps so you are no where near the bandwidth of EITHER.

in reality you will never get 11mbps from 802.11b , nor will you get 54 from
802.11g - there are lots of comparisons on the internet so i wont bother
with the details, but it is no where near as fast as being wired in.

other 2.4ghz devices will interfere with your wireless network, like, 2.4ghz
phones. I went to all 900mhz phones to stop the interference, but my x10
wireless cameras are 2.4ghz and interfere really badly.

I got good deal on microsoft MN700 802.11g router from Future shop - i think
it was $ 70 in the store.

Other than that, not too familiar with toronto retail - but tiger direct is
in markham so maybe you can pick it up ?




"Holden Caulfield" <commanderblop@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:6d0ce83a.0406111819.6e361328@posting.google.com...
> Hi,
> I need to buy a wireless router and a network card for my home. I
> live in Toronto, Canada, and currently have Rogers high speed
> internet, but may be switching to Bell Sympatico. (Not too happy with
> Rogers. They want to charge me over $100 to move an internet outlet
> -- so I figure screw 'em, I will go wireless.)
>
> What is the most cost effective wireless router to buy?
>
> And do they come with the wireless ethernet cards, or will I have to
> buy that too? (In which case the cost of router AND card is what I
> need to know.)
>
> I need to meet these specifications:
>
> 1. For now, it just needs to work with my home desktop, an average
> PIII with 512 megs of RAM and normal specs, running Win2k.
> 2. I would like it to be compatible with Linux Mandrake because my
> brother is loaning me his linux box to give it a whirl
> 3. I am planning on buying a laptop that has "Intel BG2200 802.11b/g
> WiFi (Wireless LAN)" built in... can someone explain the difference
> between 802.11b and 802.11g and all the other flavours??
>
> I want to buy the initial router and card if it needs it from
> somewhere in Toronto this week.
>
> Any advice is appreciated! It is very confusing to me...
>
> Thanks,
> Holden
Anonymous
June 12, 2004 5:41:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Thanks for your well thought out response, Coz! The newsgroups work again!

You answered all of my questions and I am ready give this wireless thing a go...

Holden
Related resources
Anonymous
June 12, 2004 7:50:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

I'm from Toronto. Also in Markham try ICCT Tech. I think they're at
iccttech.ca or icct.ca. They have good prices but I think they only take
cash/debit. They do give receipts but I think they prefer not to use credit
due to the additional cost, not sure.

Most times I get my stuff from the US. CNET.com has always worked for me.

CNET also has some articles/tidbits/advice on wireless technologies, look
around their site.

Kevin

"Coz" <scooby@nospamcozmos.com> wrote in message
news:p Uwyc.695478$Pk3.522596@pd7tw1no...
> Check tigerdirect.ca - they have a dlink 802.11b router for $ 24 .
>
> Your questions:
>
> 1) cost effective router - see above, dlink -
>
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...
3989&sku=D700-2207%20P
>
> 2) Do they come with cards ? No , not usually, sometimes there is a
> bundle... but usually would be for notebook card.
>
> Desktop pci cards:
> http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/category/categor...
>
> If you want usb adapter, best bet seems to be ebay.
>
> 802.11b is 2.4 ghz, 11mbps - 802.11g is 2.4 ghz, 54mbps (so theoretically
5
> times as fast)
> 802.11a is 5 ghz, i think up to 75mbps or something . Not very popular
and
> rarely built in - avoid
>
> 802.11g is *almost* always backwards compatible to 802.11b - but with
> 802.11b stuff being so cheap, and your primary use just being internet ,
> there is no reason to go for 802.11g really - your internet connection is
> probably max 4mbps so you are no where near the bandwidth of EITHER.
>
> in reality you will never get 11mbps from 802.11b , nor will you get 54
from
> 802.11g - there are lots of comparisons on the internet so i wont bother
> with the details, but it is no where near as fast as being wired in.
>
> other 2.4ghz devices will interfere with your wireless network, like,
2.4ghz
> phones. I went to all 900mhz phones to stop the interference, but my x10
> wireless cameras are 2.4ghz and interfere really badly.
>
> I got good deal on microsoft MN700 802.11g router from Future shop - i
think
> it was $ 70 in the store.
>
> Other than that, not too familiar with toronto retail - but tiger direct
is
> in markham so maybe you can pick it up ?
>
>
>
>
> "Holden Caulfield" <commanderblop@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:6d0ce83a.0406111819.6e361328@posting.google.com...
> > Hi,
> > I need to buy a wireless router and a network card for my home. I
> > live in Toronto, Canada, and currently have Rogers high speed
> > internet, but may be switching to Bell Sympatico. (Not too happy with
> > Rogers. They want to charge me over $100 to move an internet outlet
> > -- so I figure screw 'em, I will go wireless.)
> >
> > What is the most cost effective wireless router to buy?
> >
> > And do they come with the wireless ethernet cards, or will I have to
> > buy that too? (In which case the cost of router AND card is what I
> > need to know.)
> >
> > I need to meet these specifications:
> >
> > 1. For now, it just needs to work with my home desktop, an average
> > PIII with 512 megs of RAM and normal specs, running Win2k.
> > 2. I would like it to be compatible with Linux Mandrake because my
> > brother is loaning me his linux box to give it a whirl
> > 3. I am planning on buying a laptop that has "Intel BG2200 802.11b/g
> > WiFi (Wireless LAN)" built in... can someone explain the difference
> > between 802.11b and 802.11g and all the other flavours??
> >
> > I want to buy the initial router and card if it needs it from
> > somewhere in Toronto this week.
> >
> > Any advice is appreciated! It is very confusing to me...
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Holden
>
>
Anonymous
June 12, 2004 9:52:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

I am in Toronto and just bought a DLink DI 624, super G with all the bells
and whistles for C$89, regularly $129. Compusmart, Staples - it's a DLink
coupon $40 special.
It's a great router and will do all and more than you probably want. I have
Sympatico VDSL and it's great. Downloads regularly at 2400 and up at 675.
No changes in busy times as Rogers has.


"Holden Caulfield" <commanderblop@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:6d0ce83a.0406121241.3c4c5536@posting.google.com...
> Thanks for your well thought out response, Coz! The newsgroups work
again!
>
> You answered all of my questions and I am ready give this wireless thing a
go...
>
> Holden
Anonymous
June 12, 2004 11:11:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Alan - was that $89 + tax or 89 out the door?




"Alan White" <alanwhite@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:KWKyc.69821$sS2.2326376@news20.bellglobal.com...
> I am in Toronto and just bought a DLink DI 624, super G with all the bells
> and whistles for C$89, regularly $129. Compusmart, Staples - it's a DLink
> coupon $40 special.
> It's a great router and will do all and more than you probably want. I
have
> Sympatico VDSL and it's great. Downloads regularly at 2400 and up at 675.
> No changes in busy times as Rogers has.
>
>
> "Holden Caulfield" <commanderblop@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:6d0ce83a.0406121241.3c4c5536@posting.google.com...
> > Thanks for your well thought out response, Coz! The newsgroups work
> again!
> >
> > You answered all of my questions and I am ready give this wireless thing
a
> go...
> >
> > Holden
>
>
Anonymous
June 13, 2004 12:16:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

unfortunately, it's plus taxes.

It's still a good price.


"Kevin" <Kebuchan@remove.yxaxxhxxxoxxxxoxxxxx.com> wrote in message
news:T4Myc.13340$XY6.1457634@read2.cgocable.net...
>
> Alan - was that $89 + tax or 89 out the door?
>
>
>
>
> "Alan White" <alanwhite@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:KWKyc.69821$sS2.2326376@news20.bellglobal.com...
> > I am in Toronto and just bought a DLink DI 624, super G with all the
bells
> > and whistles for C$89, regularly $129. Compusmart, Staples - it's a
DLink
> > coupon $40 special.
> > It's a great router and will do all and more than you probably want. I
> have
> > Sympatico VDSL and it's great. Downloads regularly at 2400 and up at
675.
> > No changes in busy times as Rogers has.
> >
> >
> > "Holden Caulfield" <commanderblop@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:6d0ce83a.0406121241.3c4c5536@posting.google.com...
> > > Thanks for your well thought out response, Coz! The newsgroups work
> > again!
> > >
> > > You answered all of my questions and I am ready give this wireless
thing
> a
> > go...
> > >
> > > Holden
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
June 13, 2004 2:16:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Thanks for the advice folks:

Two other TOTAL NOVICE questions...

I want to move my main computer to the back of my house, and have the
wireless router in the front of the house. (I want to avoid internet
outlet re-locaiton fees, > $100!!)

1. Does my router NEED to be plugged into a computer at all? Or can
it stand alone in the front of the house where my internet comes in...

If it can't stand alone, then I will have to pay for re-location one
way or the other...maybe going wireless ain't worth it (for now).

2. And what about running Linux? The main computer I want to use runs
Win2k, but in a week I will have a Linux box. Am I correct in
thinking the type of router won't matter (they all seem to say Windows
compatible, but not Linux compatible), I just have to match the router
signal (like 802.11b, or 802.11g, etc) with something compatible on my
linux box?

Thanks,
sorry these questions are so basic but hey, I am new to this...

H.C.
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 12:51:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

In article <6d0ce83a.0406130916.11cbc57b@posting.google.com>,
Holden Caulfield <commanderblop@hotmail.com> wrote:
:I want to move my main computer to the back of my house, and have the
:wireless router in the front of the house. (I want to avoid internet
:o utlet re-locaiton fees, > $100!!)

:1. Does my router NEED to be plugged into a computer at all? Or can
:it stand alone in the front of the house where my internet comes in...

Most models can stand alone.

:2. And what about running Linux? The main computer I want to use runs
:Win2k, but in a week I will have a Linux box. Am I correct in
:thinking the type of router won't matter (they all seem to say Windows
:compatible, but not Linux compatible), I just have to match the router
:signal (like 802.11b, or 802.11g, etc) with something compatible on my
:linux box?

There are some low end models that are driven by Windows -- like the
old WinModem gadgets. But most respectable devices don't care what
OS you have. Well, other than the fact that some know about PnP...
--
100% of all human deaths occur within 100 miles of Earth.
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 2:35:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

On 13 Jun 2004 10:16:14 -0700, Holden Caulfield wrote:

> I want to move my main computer to the back of my house, and have the
> wireless router in the front of the house. (I want to avoid internet
> outlet re-locaiton fees, > $100!!)
>
> 1. Does my router NEED to be plugged into a computer at all? Or can
> it stand alone in the front of the house where my internet comes in...

Yes it can stand alone. Some setup operations are better done with a wired
connection, so unplug it, walk it over to the computer, connect them with a
cat5 cable, and setup to your heart's content. When done, walk it across
the house, and plug it back in.

You'll probably have to do that about twice or three times in its lifetime.

> 2. And what about running Linux? The main computer I want to use runs
> Win2k, but in a week I will have a Linux box. Am I correct in
> thinking the type of router won't matter (they all seem to say Windows
> compatible, but not Linux compatible), I just have to match the router
> signal (like 802.11b, or 802.11g, etc) with something compatible on my
> linux box?

Routers speak TCP. Operating systems don't count.

>
> Thanks,
> sorry these questions are so basic but hey, I am new to this...

Me too, but I stayed in a Holiday Inn last night.

--
Barry
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 2:18:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Thanks a lot, everyone!

H.C.
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 10:05:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

commanderblop@hotmail.com (Holden Caulfield) wrote in
news:6d0ce83a.0406111819.6e361328@posting.google.com:

> I need to buy a wireless router and a network card for my home.

http://www.zyxel.com

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
Please delete "REMOVE" from the e-mail address when replying.
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/coolspot18/
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 10:07:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

commanderblop@hotmail.com (Holden Caulfield) wrote in
news:6d0ce83a.0406130916.11cbc57b@posting.google.com:


> 1. Does my router NEED to be plugged into a computer at all? Or can
> it stand alone in the front of the house where my internet comes in...

It can dstand alone.

> 2. And what about running Linux? The main computer I want to use runs
> Win2k, but in a week I will have a Linux box. Am I correct in
> thinking the type of router won't matter

Doesn't matter - the router is standards based so it'll work on any
platform that supports TCP/IP.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
Please delete "REMOVE" from the e-mail address when replying.
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/coolspot18/
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 10:59:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

In article <Xns95098F655E1B6nntprogerscom@140.99.99.130>,
Lucas Tam <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote:
:commanderblop@hotmail.com (Holden Caulfield) wrote in
:news:6d0ce83a.0406111819.6e361328@posting.google.com:

:> I need to buy a wireless router and a network card for my home.

:http://www.zyxel.com

zyxel does not happen to have very many distributors in Canada [the
home of the OP], and the ones that exist tend not to carry very much.

They do make some interesting equipment -- it just isn't always easy
to find.
--
Oh, yeah, an African swallow maybe, but not a European swallow.
That's my point.
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 11:54:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote in news:canguc$c99$1
@canopus.cc.umanitoba.ca:

> In article <Xns95098F655E1B6nntprogerscom@140.99.99.130>,
> Lucas Tam <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote:
>:commanderblop@hotmail.com (Holden Caulfield) wrote in
>:news:6d0ce83a.0406111819.6e361328@posting.google.com:
>
>:> I need to buy a wireless router and a network card for my home.
>
>:http://www.zyxel.com
>
> zyxel does not happen to have very many distributors in Canada [the
> home of the OP], and the ones that exist tend not to carry very much.
>
> They do make some interesting equipment -- it just isn't always easy
> to find.

Here's a Canadian who sell's Zyxel equipment:

http://www.llamaworks.webhop.net/

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
Please delete "REMOVE" from the e-mail address when replying.
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/coolspot18/
!