Detonator advanced settings...

NialM

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2001
I have a Leadtek Ti 4400 and 28.90 drivers. Can anyone tell me what I should set the additional properties to, or if there is a web page somewhere that explanes what thay all do...ie...antialiasing...4x or 4xS, PCI Texture memory size, Texel Alignment, Anisotropic Filterng and GL system mem usage..great that I can control all this stuff, but what should I do with it !

Also, what about Vertical sync.....its on by default, but won't that slow down my frame rate ? Any why is it only on the GL settings ? Will it not work with D3D ?

Sorry for all the questions, but as I have a good card, I would like to get the most out of it.

Here is a link to my system specs if it matters

<A HREF="http://www.nialm.com/rig.htm" target="_new">http://www.nialm.com/rig.htm</A>

The sum of the intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
play with all your settings and see what they do for your quality and performance, you cant break anything if you just mess with the advanced settings, find out what gives the picture/performance for you. Just dont mess with the overclock options unless your an expert which apparently your not-)

AntiAliasing is when a graphics card smooths textures to eliminate jagged lines (ex. when you draw a diagonal line in MS Paint it'll be stair stepped instead of straight, Antialiasing makes those lines appear straight in games by blurring the jaggies. 2x is the lowest AA setting, 4xS is the best but takes the most processing power, on a TI 4400 you should be able to 4xS with no problems on a 1.7 ghz or faster intel or equivalent AMD.

Filtering can be ansiotropic, bilinear, or trilinear. Aniso is best, bilinear is least cool but not bad in itself, it has to do with how the textures are rendered in 3d space, aniso looks most realistic but takes the most processing power.

Turn vsync off everywhere you can find the option in drivers and games unless you get wierd graphics bugs then turn it back on.

Set your refresh rate to 85hz if possible, there's an option under "adapter" to see what all modes your monitor supports, if you change it and the screen stays black just hit escape a coule times and it'll back out and reset.

Dont mess with the pci textures crap, i have no idea what it does (probably nothing on agp cards).

dont mess with texel alignment.

if your still getting awsome frame rates and you wanna get even more quality download rivatuner, find the slider thats labeled "LoD Bias Settings" or something and move it from 0 to like -3 (the lowest). Should make more detail show up and distances etc...at least...i think thats what it does, i have done this on my system and it seems to make things sharper and clearer at distances...

nVidiot: Message board Troll employed by nVidia to terrorize aTidiots.