Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Best way to go from Vista to Win7 RTM?

Last response: in Windows 7
September 17, 2009 3:14:39 AM

hey guys i got a question about a Win7 install i just did.

i chose to upload the files onto my USB stick, and run it from within Windows Vista. i didnt do upgrade though, i chose the option to wipe the disk clean, with windows backing up old files in "Windows.old" folder.

does choosing this option slow down my new fresh install? i want my install to be as clean as possible so it runs well. was it a better choice to actually format the drive and install onto a blank drive? im backing up the windows.old folder onto an external so i do have the option to completely erase the drive and start anew.

also why is my file transfer speed from 1 harddrive to another, both on sata2, slower than it was in vista? when i was still in vista i was getting 45mb/s, now im getting half, about 24 mb/s. should i have installed mobo drivers and stuff?

More about : vista win7 rtm

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
September 18, 2009 3:23:51 PM

The option to wipe the disk clean was the right choice. That dumps everything from the Vista install to the Windows.old folder, so there's nothing extra in the Windows 7 system folders that's left over from Vista. So this option will ensure the fastest speed for Win7. It's really not important that you format first.
Can't answer you about the HDD transfer rates. You could try installing drivers from your Mobo manufacturer and see if it helps. But really, the difference shouldn't be as great as you report. Also check your BIOS settings to make sure the transfer mode is set correctly for your HDDs.
a c 371 $ Windows 7
September 20, 2009 2:43:13 AM

upgrade installs create issues!!!!!!!!!!
Related resources
a c 215 $ Windows 7
September 20, 2009 8:25:21 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
upgrade installs create issues!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed. Clean installs are almost always a better idea. I bit the bullet with my 2 year old Vista install (but mine was starting to boot REALLY slow so I had some incentive to start fresh under 7)
September 27, 2009 12:11:05 AM

thanks guys. but the thing is i didnt do an "upgrade" option. i chose the clean install, but chose it from within Windows 7 DVD.

either way i decided to just go back and do a complete format after booting from the DVD. working great
a c 209 $ Windows 7
September 27, 2009 1:41:16 AM

...i chose the option to wipe the disk clean, with windows backing up old files in "Windows.old" folder. does choosing this option slow down my new fresh install? i want my install to be as clean as possible so it runs well.

Having those files sitting in the "Windows.old" folder won't slow your system down particularly - the main issue is that you end up with those unneeded files taking up space on your drive.

also why is my file transfer speed from 1 harddrive to another, both on sata2, slower than it was in vista? when i was still in vista i was getting 45mb/s, now im getting half, about 24 mb/s. should i have installed mobo drivers and stuff?

Are you sure you're not comparing a file copy from drive A to drive B under Vista to a file copy from drive A to drive A under Windows 7? And by "Drive A" and "Drive B" I'm referring to different physical disks, not just to two partitions with different drive letters on the same spindle. When you copy to and from the same drive, the access arm has to rapidly move back and forth between the source and target files, and this slows things down quite a bit.
!