need advice for new NINTENDO DS owner?

Hi, I just ordered a Nintendo DS. I am an old school gamer (been
playing since I was a kid in the 70's!) and I picked the DS because I
already have a fast pc and other systems to play Playstation style
games. I find many of the games (from what I have read) for the DS
to be unique and creative and something new not just another version
of a racing, skateboard, etc.. game.

Anyway, Im trying to buy some games before it comes (2 weeks) and it's
hard to go by the reviews because I seem to read good and bad reviews
for everything.. or things like "this is the most unique and creative
software at e3 but some people will hate it"... any DS owners willing
to give me their opinion?

also Im wondering if there are any must have accessories? Should I
buy something to protect the screen you use the stylus on? Wont that
get all marked up?

thanks for any info...

Kevin
9 answers Last reply
More about need advice nintendo owner
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    kevin sez...

    > Hi, I just ordered a Nintendo DS.

    Visit Nintendo World at #10 Rockefeller Center in New York City and you can
    sit down and try the games before you buy them!

    Cheers!

    --
    ______________
    =====fish=====

    On Mon, 30 May 2005 23:49:25 GMT, "fish"
    <i.am.such.a.fish@atlantic.ocean> wrote:

    >sit Nintendo World at #10 Rockefeller Center in New York City and you can
    >sit down and try the games before you buy them!

    It's not practical for me to visit New York city to play video games
    LOL... but thanx for the info!
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    > Visit Nintendo World at #10 Rockefeller Center in New York City and you
    > can
    > sit down and try the games before you buy them!

    You are assuming he lives within a reasonable distance of Mid-Town
    Manhattan...
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    I was slightly older than a "kid in the 70's" (more like in the 60's) but I
    seem to be in a similar situation. (My son just got the PSP, but I feel that
    the DS can be more creative
    with games.)
    Tiger Woods Golf (assuming you like golf games) is lots of fun using the
    stylus for your shots - though I have heard that the Nintendo golf game
    coming out later this year is even more fun.
    Warioware Touched - very original concept. (Many - including myself - feel
    that the original Warioware and the new Twisted - both for the GBA but will
    play fine in the DS - are better, but Touched makes great use of the touch
    screen and the mic.
    If you like puzzle games Polarium and Zoo Keeper very enjoyable. I had Yoshi
    Touch and Go. It was fun, but I bored of it quickly though many love it.
    Pac Pix I was not sure about even after reading some good reviews. I rented
    it and will end of purchasing it as it is also very unique in its play
    style.
    Retro Atari is good if you really like the classic arcade games from Atari.
    Otherwise I would pass on it (though I do have it - love those old games.)
    Super Mario 64 DS is an ABSOLUTE must - unless you played the original on
    the N64. (Then it's only a must.)
    (Other games I have: World Class Poker, Need for Speed Underground 2, Star
    Wars Revenge of the Sith, Rayman.)
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    On Mon, 30 May 2005 kevin <kevnospam242@gmail.com> wrote:

    > also Im wondering if there are any must have accessories? Should I
    > buy something to protect the screen you use the stylus on? Wont that
    > get all marked up?

    yeah, I just bought a pda screen protector and cut it to size. It works
    flawlessly and I have a nice scratch-free screen :)

    --

    "I hear ma train a comin'
    .... hear freedom comin"

    > Polarium does look interesting from what I have seen, if it is
    > addicting as they say I will get it...

    I have found it very adicting. I was not able to complete the 100 included
    puzzles (missed three of the last batch) and actually reset the cart to
    start again. There are also lots of
    puzzles made by gamers available and about 36 additional ones on Nintendo of
    Japan's website.

    > I love the retro games, but I understand these are ports not the
    > original games emulated? That is a turn off for me.

    The games come in two versions. One is the "originals", though they are
    probably not ROM images, but made to look like the originals - though pretty
    close. The second is the ones done by the graphic artists. Interesting but
    not as much fun - atleast to me.

    > I take it you donot rate Rev of the Sith and Rayman DS highly?

    Revenge of the Sith is lots of fun BUT the basic game is a side scroller. It
    is almost identical to the GBA version - very slightly better graphics, much
    better sound and music. However, it has a 3D portion for space flight that
    no other version of ROTS has - including the consoles. There are a few
    flying missions within the framework of the game itself which are not too
    bad. BUT there is a multiplayer component for dog-fighting that is really
    good. Also, there is the ability to fight against bots, some of which are
    modeled after characters in the movies (Luke, Han Solo, General Grevious,
    Anakin, etc.) and if you beat them you can then use their ships yourself.
    Rayman is fun. Takes a little getting used to the controls - Mario was
    implemented better atleast in my eyes - and some of the levels are rather
    long and you can't save in the middle of them.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    "
    >> also Im wondering if there are any must have accessories? Should I
    >> buy something to protect the screen you use the stylus on? Wont that
    >> get all marked up?
    >
    > yeah, I just bought a pda screen protector and cut it to size. It works
    > flawlessly and I have a nice scratch-free screen :)

    A lot of people have purchased these. Some are very happy with the results
    (read previous poster) some are not. I have not used one (I have extras from
    my PDA but have not put one on the DS yet.) and have not had any problems
    with scratching the screen.
    I did purchase something called the "Battle Stylus"
    http://www.pdapanache.com/products.asp?PID=NINDS
    It is much heavier than the standard ones and has a better tip that is less
    likely to scratch the screen. It also fits into the storage slot on the DS.
    I am very happy with the investment.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    Hi folks,

    I'm also an "older gamer" with a new DS and I've been reading reviews
    of different titles. I'm anxiously awaiting my import copy of
    Electroplankton (Ebay). A piece of software that's classified as "media
    art".

    If you're into a spacey soul-soothing audio visual experience.....take
    a good look at this thing. I've included some reviews below. Enjoy!

    http://games.insidepulse.com/articles/36633
    http://ds.ign.com/articles/603/603336p1.html
    http://www.clubskill.com/?view=article&article=742
    http://www.meninmetal.com/electroplankton.html

    P.S. Nintendo.com shows Electroplankton an an "announced" title so it
    appears a American version is in the works.

    Joe

    Steven Wandy wrote:
    > > Polarium does look interesting from what I have seen, if it is
    > > addicting as they say I will get it...
    >
    > I have found it very adicting. I was not able to complete the 100 included
    > puzzles (missed three of the last batch) and actually reset the cart to
    > start again. There are also lots of
    > puzzles made by gamers available and about 36 additional ones on Nintendo of
    > Japan's website.
    >

    > > I love the retro games, but I understand these are ports not the
    > > original games emulated? That is a turn off for me.
    >
    > The games come in to versions. One is the "originals", though they are
    > probably not ROM images, but made to look like the originals - though pretty
    > close. The second is the ones done by the graphic artists. Interesting but
    > not as much fun - a

    tleast to me.

    > > I take it you donot rate Rev of the Sith and Rayman DS highly?
    > >
    > Revenge of the Sith is lots of fun BUT the basic game is a side scroller. It
    > is almost identical to the GBA version - very slightly better graphics, much
    > better sound and music. However, it has a 3D portion for space flight that
    > no other version of ROTS has - including the consoles. There are a few
    > flying missions within the framework of the game itself which are not too
    > bad. BUT there is a multiplayer component for dog-fighting that is really
    > good. Also, there is the ability to fight against bots, some of which are
    > modeled after characters in the movies (Luke, Han Solo, General Grevious,
    > Anakin, etc.) and if you beat them you can then use their ships yourself.
    > Rayman is fun. Takes a little getting used to the controls - Mario was
    > implemented better atleast in my eyes - and some of the levels are rather
    > long and you can't save in the middle of them.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    Hi there. I too bought the DS for its creativity. I been a gamer since
    the early 80's. So I played just about everything. Anyhow, I was
    planning to buy the PSP instead, but I opted for a more creative gaming
    experience on the go. I already own a PS2, so, I decided to buy
    something that's new, and breaks new grounds in gaming. I sold my GBA
    SP, and with the DS, I have not only a huge selection of 2D GBA titles,
    but also, the new, quirky, gameplay that only the DS can offer. So far,
    I have played several games that are trully wonderful and enjoyable, at
    least on the creative side of the fence.

    1) Yoshy: Touch and Go. Awesome game, and although it lacks a story
    Mode, the quick/pick-up gameplay is a joy to behold. When I first blew
    into the Mic. in order to erase the clouds I created with the styles, I
    was into something that I never played before. Also, you don't actually
    control the character as most traditional games would allow, but you
    control the environment in order to move from point A to point B. That
    alone sold me. I never played anything resembling Yoshy: Touched and
    GO. Personally, I think it is one of the most inspired, creative games
    to come out in the gaming universe, and titles such as these makes me
    look forward to continued playing games.

    2)Pac-Pics. Another quirky game, and not to be overlooked if you're
    looking for a unique gaming experience. The selling point here is
    unique, 'cause Pac-Pics is not your typical game. All you do is draw a
    pac-man on the screen, draw lines to divert his direction up, down,
    left, right, and all of this takes place on a screen that is only under
    four inches, while Pac munches on ghosts. Namco added several
    variations to the gameplay in the latter levels, so the gameplay again
    becomes a priority. I took a gamble on this game, and to be honest, at
    first I did not like my first impressions. THe game doesn't offer much.
    I mean, there's no story mode in the traditional sense, no sense of
    movement. Just simply drawing a Pac on screen, arrows, and bombs to
    clear and play the next screen, not exactly your bang-for-the-buck,
    eye-candy sort of game. It is not flashy, nor pretty. Yet, I found
    myself later on loving the quirky gameplay it offers. By the time I
    opened the second book, I realized I was completely into the game
    experience. But then again, this game is not for everyone. If, however,
    you want something unique, and fresh, I highly recomend this overlooked
    tittle, as it sports new ideas, and strays from the old ones. This is
    one tittle you can pick up any time of the day and play the levels over
    again for a quick recess. Fast-paced, quirky at best, requiring
    fast-reflexes to avoid from losing.

    3) Warioware: Twisted. A GBA tittle, BUT, Twisted I think is a piece
    of classic gaming in the making, and one that deserves gameplay in your
    DS. I think this tittle is destined to become a classic due to the way
    is played and executed. The software comes with a gyro sensor, whereof
    the only way to play is by spinning your portable unit. I never played
    anyhting like this before, and for this reason alone, Twisted is 100%
    original. Nintendo really top themselves with this tittle. A fantastic
    tittle for gamers looking for something new, and revolutionary. I
    bought this at Fry's on sale for $24.99. A steal! Worth every penny I
    spent. I haven't gotten this excited since I bought Gunstar Heroes for
    the Genesis for what seem like a century ago.

    4) Zoo Keeper. For $20 bucks, you'll owned a puzzle/action game that's
    very additive. All you really do is connect three animals or more, and
    create chains with different groups for a high score. The Six-Minute
    Mode I think is the one most people go back over and over again to
    improve their score, and personally, my best is 615,000. I have
    improved by simply playing, and practicing the game, and is one game
    that really challenges yourself, not the player challenging the game.
    Awesome game.

    5)Warioware: touched Not exactly on par with Twisted. Twisted is a
    much, much superior product, but Warioware still offers touch-screen
    gameplay unlike any other product in the market. Unique, and can be
    played and enjoyed by everyone in the family. Very appealing game.

    Ok, those are my TOP honors for the DS, and must have tittles for a
    unique, and refreshing gameplay experince on the DS. I also would like
    to mention Super Mario 64. There's dozens of minigames that are
    actually fun for a quick pick-up & go that uses only the styles for
    gameplay.

    My quick thoughts on the DS: I think, and I'm basing this on software
    originality and strenghs, that the DS can actually compete with the
    more powerful Sony's PSP. I did not hold this same opinion when I was
    checking the specs for the Sony PSP before its debut(which I was
    planning on buying but declined eventually), and I can also say no
    matter what happens in the long run, the DS has been one of the most
    innovative gaming devices to come out in recent history. Judging by
    what was shown at E3, I can safely say this little gadget will endure a
    healthy life.

    Leo

Console Gaming Games Nintendo Video Games