need advice for new NINTENDO DS owner?

Hi, I just ordered a Nintendo DS. I am an old school gamer (been
playing since I was a kid in the 70's!) and I picked the DS because I
already have a fast pc and other systems to play Playstation style
games. I find many of the games (from what I have read) for the DS
to be unique and creative and something new not just another version
of a racing, skateboard, etc.. game.

Anyway, Im trying to buy some games before it comes (2 weeks) and it's
hard to go by the reviews because I seem to read good and bad reviews
for everything.. or things like "this is the most unique and creative
software at e3 but some people will hate it"... any DS owners willing
to give me their opinion?

also Im wondering if there are any must have accessories? Should I
buy something to protect the screen you use the stylus on? Wont that
get all marked up?

thanks for any info...

Kevin

Fish

kevin sez...

> Hi, I just ordered a Nintendo DS.

Visit Nintendo World at #10 Rockefeller Center in New York City and you can
sit down and try the games before you buy them!

Cheers!

--
______________
=====fish=====

On Mon, 30 May 2005 23:49:25 GMT, "fish"
<i.am.such.a.fish@atlantic.ocean> wrote:

>sit Nintendo World at #10 Rockefeller Center in New York City and you can
>sit down and try the games before you buy them!

It's not practical for me to visit New York city to play video games
LOL... but thanx for the info!

> Visit Nintendo World at #10 Rockefeller Center in New York City and you
> can
> sit down and try the games before you buy them!

You are assuming he lives within a reasonable distance of Mid-Town
Manhattan...

I was slightly older than a "kid in the 70's" (more like in the 60's) but I
seem to be in a similar situation. (My son just got the PSP, but I feel that
the DS can be more creative
with games.)
Tiger Woods Golf (assuming you like golf games) is lots of fun using the
stylus for your shots - though I have heard that the Nintendo golf game
coming out later this year is even more fun.
Warioware Touched - very original concept. (Many - including myself - feel
that the original Warioware and the new Twisted - both for the GBA but will
play fine in the DS - are better, but Touched makes great use of the touch
screen and the mic.
If you like puzzle games Polarium and Zoo Keeper very enjoyable. I had Yoshi
Touch and Go. It was fun, but I bored of it quickly though many love it.
Pac Pix I was not sure about even after reading some good reviews. I rented
it and will end of purchasing it as it is also very unique in its play
style.
Retro Atari is good if you really like the classic arcade games from Atari.
Otherwise I would pass on it (though I do have it - love those old games.)
Super Mario 64 DS is an ABSOLUTE must - unless you played the original on
the N64. (Then it's only a must.)
(Other games I have: World Class Poker, Need for Speed Underground 2, Star
Wars Revenge of the Sith, Rayman.)

On Mon, 30 May 2005 kevin <kevnospam242@gmail.com> wrote:

> also Im wondering if there are any must have accessories? Should I
> buy something to protect the screen you use the stylus on? Wont that
> get all marked up?

yeah, I just bought a pda screen protector and cut it to size. It works
flawlessly and I have a nice scratch-free screen :)

--

"I hear ma train a comin'
.... hear freedom comin"

> Polarium does look interesting from what I have seen, if it is
> addicting as they say I will get it...

I have found it very adicting. I was not able to complete the 100 included
puzzles (missed three of the last batch) and actually reset the cart to
start again. There are also lots of
puzzles made by gamers available and about 36 additional ones on Nintendo of
Japan's website.

> I love the retro games, but I understand these are ports not the
> original games emulated? That is a turn off for me.

The games come in two versions. One is the "originals", though they are
probably not ROM images, but made to look like the originals - though pretty
close. The second is the ones done by the graphic artists. Interesting but
not as much fun - atleast to me.

> I take it you donot rate Rev of the Sith and Rayman DS highly?

Revenge of the Sith is lots of fun BUT the basic game is a side scroller. It
is almost identical to the GBA version - very slightly better graphics, much
better sound and music. However, it has a 3D portion for space flight that
no other version of ROTS has - including the consoles. There are a few
flying missions within the framework of the game itself which are not too
bad. BUT there is a multiplayer component for dog-fighting that is really
good. Also, there is the ability to fight against bots, some of which are
modeled after characters in the movies (Luke, Han Solo, General Grevious,
Anakin, etc.) and if you beat them you can then use their ships yourself.
Rayman is fun. Takes a little getting used to the controls - Mario was
implemented better atleast in my eyes - and some of the levels are rather
long and you can't save in the middle of them.

"
>> also Im wondering if there are any must have accessories? Should I
>> buy something to protect the screen you use the stylus on? Wont that
>> get all marked up?
>
> yeah, I just bought a pda screen protector and cut it to size. It works
> flawlessly and I have a nice scratch-free screen :)

A lot of people have purchased these. Some are very happy with the results
(read previous poster) some are not. I have not used one (I have extras from
my PDA but have not put one on the DS yet.) and have not had any problems
with scratching the screen.
I did purchase something called the "Battle Stylus"
http://www.pdapanache.com/products.asp?PID=NINDS
It is much heavier than the standard ones and has a better tip that is less
likely to scratch the screen. It also fits into the storage slot on the DS.
I am very happy with the investment.

Hi folks,

I'm also an "older gamer" with a new DS and I've been reading reviews
of different titles. I'm anxiously awaiting my import copy of
Electroplankton (Ebay). A piece of software that's classified as "media
art".

If you're into a spacey soul-soothing audio visual experience.....take
a good look at this thing. I've included some reviews below. Enjoy!

http://games.insidepulse.com/articles/36633
http://ds.ign.com/articles/603/603336p1.html
http://www.clubskill.com/?view=article&article=742
http://www.meninmetal.com/electroplankton.html

P.S. Nintendo.com shows Electroplankton an an "announced" title so it
appears a American version is in the works.

Joe

Steven Wandy wrote:
> > Polarium does look interesting from what I have seen, if it is
> > addicting as they say I will get it...
>
> I have found it very adicting. I was not able to complete the 100 included
> puzzles (missed three of the last batch) and actually reset the cart to
> start again. There are also lots of
> puzzles made by gamers available and about 36 additional ones on Nintendo of
> Japan's website.
>

> > I love the retro games, but I understand these are ports not the
> > original games emulated? That is a turn off for me.
>
> The games come in to versions. One is the "originals", though they are
> probably not ROM images, but made to look like the originals - though pretty
> close. The second is the ones done by the graphic artists. Interesting but
> not as much fun - a

tleast to me.

> > I take it you donot rate Rev of the Sith and Rayman DS highly?
> >
> Revenge of the Sith is lots of fun BUT the basic game is a side scroller. It
> is almost identical to the GBA version - very slightly better graphics, much
> better sound and music. However, it has a 3D portion for space flight that
> no other version of ROTS has - including the consoles. There are a few
> flying missions within the framework of the game itself which are not too
> bad. BUT there is a multiplayer component for dog-fighting that is really
> good. Also, there is the ability to fight against bots, some of which are
> modeled after characters in the movies (Luke, Han Solo, General Grevious,
> Anakin, etc.) and if you beat them you can then use their ships yourself.
> Rayman is fun. Takes a little getting used to the controls - Mario was
> implemented better atleast in my eyes - and some of the levels are rather
> long and you can't save in the middle of them.

Leo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2001

Hi there. I too bought the DS for its creativity. I been a gamer since
the early 80's. So I played just about everything. Anyhow, I was
planning to buy the PSP instead, but I opted for a more creative gaming
experience on the go. I already own a PS2, so, I decided to buy
something that's new, and breaks new grounds in gaming. I sold my GBA
SP, and with the DS, I have not only a huge selection of 2D GBA titles,
but also, the new, quirky, gameplay that only the DS can offer. So far,
I have played several games that are trully wonderful and enjoyable, at
least on the creative side of the fence.

1) Yoshy: Touch and Go. Awesome game, and although it lacks a story
Mode, the quick/pick-up gameplay is a joy to behold. When I first blew
into the Mic. in order to erase the clouds I created with the styles, I
was into something that I never played before. Also, you don't actually
control the character as most traditional games would allow, but you
control the environment in order to move from point A to point B. That
alone sold me. I never played anything resembling Yoshy: Touched and
GO. Personally, I think it is one of the most inspired, creative games
to come out in the gaming universe, and titles such as these makes me
look forward to continued playing games.

2)Pac-Pics. Another quirky game, and not to be overlooked if you're
looking for a unique gaming experience. The selling point here is
unique, 'cause Pac-Pics is not your typical game. All you do is draw a
pac-man on the screen, draw lines to divert his direction up, down,
left, right, and all of this takes place on a screen that is only under
four inches, while Pac munches on ghosts. Namco added several
variations to the gameplay in the latter levels, so the gameplay again
becomes a priority. I took a gamble on this game, and to be honest, at
first I did not like my first impressions. THe game doesn't offer much.
I mean, there's no story mode in the traditional sense, no sense of
movement. Just simply drawing a Pac on screen, arrows, and bombs to
clear and play the next screen, not exactly your bang-for-the-buck,
eye-candy sort of game. It is not flashy, nor pretty. Yet, I found
myself later on loving the quirky gameplay it offers. By the time I
opened the second book, I realized I was completely into the game
experience. But then again, this game is not for everyone. If, however,
you want something unique, and fresh, I highly recomend this overlooked
tittle, as it sports new ideas, and strays from the old ones. This is
one tittle you can pick up any time of the day and play the levels over
again for a quick recess. Fast-paced, quirky at best, requiring
fast-reflexes to avoid from losing.

3) Warioware: Twisted. A GBA tittle, BUT, Twisted I think is a piece
of classic gaming in the making, and one that deserves gameplay in your
DS. I think this tittle is destined to become a classic due to the way
is played and executed. The software comes with a gyro sensor, whereof
the only way to play is by spinning your portable unit. I never played
anyhting like this before, and for this reason alone, Twisted is 100%
original. Nintendo really top themselves with this tittle. A fantastic
tittle for gamers looking for something new, and revolutionary. I
bought this at Fry's on sale for $24.99. A steal! Worth every penny I
spent. I haven't gotten this excited since I bought Gunstar Heroes for
the Genesis for what seem like a century ago.

4) Zoo Keeper. For $20 bucks, you'll owned a puzzle/action game that's
very additive. All you really do is connect three animals or more, and
create chains with different groups for a high score. The Six-Minute
Mode I think is the one most people go back over and over again to
improve their score, and personally, my best is 615,000. I have
improved by simply playing, and practicing the game, and is one game
that really challenges yourself, not the player challenging the game.
Awesome game.

5)Warioware: touched Not exactly on par with Twisted. Twisted is a
much, much superior product, but Warioware still offers touch-screen
gameplay unlike any other product in the market. Unique, and can be
played and enjoyed by everyone in the family. Very appealing game.

Ok, those are my TOP honors for the DS, and must have tittles for a
unique, and refreshing gameplay experince on the DS. I also would like
to mention Super Mario 64. There's dozens of minigames that are
actually fun for a quick pick-up & go that uses only the styles for
gameplay.

My quick thoughts on the DS: I think, and I'm basing this on software
originality and strenghs, that the DS can actually compete with the
more powerful Sony's PSP. I did not hold this same opinion when I was
checking the specs for the Sony PSP before its debut(which I was
planning on buying but declined eventually), and I can also say no
matter what happens in the long run, the DS has been one of the most
innovative gaming devices to come out in recent history. Judging by
what was shown at E3, I can safely say this little gadget will endure a
healthy life.

Leo