Closed

D600 or D610 ...What's the difference?

What's the differences between the newer D610 and the D600 models Lattitude?

Thanks in advance.
kw
11 answers Last reply
More about d600 d610 what difference

    Screen size: 13.3 vs 14.1

    Ken Williams wrote:
    > What's the differences between the newer D610 and the D600 models Lattitude?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    > kw

    The D610 uses the newer version of the Pentium-M (the 7X0 series with X
    being a number between 3-7). The primary difference between the new 7X0
    series and the former 7Y5 (Y between 1&6) series is a faster front side
    bus and DDR2 compatibility. Check out intel.com for more info. In
    addition to the new processor, the D610 uses the new Intel 915 mobile
    chipset. Honestly the performance difference between the two doesn't
    warrant an upgrade unless you can find a really slick deal. I have a
    D610 with a P-M 760 (2.0GHz) and my younger brother has a 600m with a
    P-M 745 (1.8GHz) and the difference is pretty minimal for most applications.

    "Ken Williams" <REMOVE-THIS_kwillmech1972@yahoo.com_FOR-ANTI-SPAM>
    wrote:
    >What's the differences between the newer D610 and the D600 models Lattitude?

    NIcholas pointed out the processor differences (Thanks!), and there's
    a(nother) USB port on the side of the machine, which is slightly more
    convenient for thumbdrives and such.

    Dunno if the D610 has a SmartCard reader or not, but mine on the D600
    does nothing at all, so it's probably not important.

    All D600/D610s have 14.1" panels.

    <William P. N. Smith> wrote in message
    > "Ken Williams" <REMOVE-THIS_kwillmech1972@yahoo.com_FOR-ANTI-SPAM>
    > wrote:
    >>What's the differences between the newer D610 and the D600 models
    >>Lattitude?
    >
    > NIcholas pointed out the processor differences (Thanks!), and there's
    > a(nother) USB port on the side of the machine, which is slightly more
    > convenient for thumbdrives and such.
    >
    > Dunno if the D610 has a SmartCard reader or not, but mine on the D600
    > does nothing at all, so it's probably not important.

    Are you running SP2? I believe SP2 has a fix that will make it work. It
    works fine on my I9300.

    wrong! :D

    William P. N. Smith wrote:
    > "Ken Williams" <REMOVE-THIS_kwillmech1972@yahoo.com_FOR-ANTI-SPAM>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>What's the differences between the newer D610 and the D600 models Lattitude?
    >

    > NIcholas pointed out the processor differences (Thanks!), and there's
    > a(nother) USB port on the side of the machine, which is slightly more
    > convenient for thumbdrives and such.
    >
    > Dunno if the D610 has a SmartCard reader or not, but mine on the D600
    > does nothing at all, so it's probably not important.

    Your post got me interested; yes the D610 does have a SmartCard reader
    as well (below the PCMCIA slot, above the HDD), in adition to the serial
    port, parallel port, VGA out, S=Video & 4 USB ports. I haven't bothered
    with the SmartCard reader yet, but I came across this article which may
    be of interest to the original poster:
    http://www6.tomshardware.com/mobile/20050511/index.html

    Basically it compares the two Intel mobile chipsets, the 915GM (D610) &
    the 855GME (D600 uses this I believe).

    Thanks for the link and thanks to everyone. I think I will stick with my
    D600 for now.

    "Ken Williams" <REMOVE-THIS_kwillmech1972@yahoo.com_FOR-ANTI-SPAM> wrote in
    message news:z8CDe.53877$ro.21433@fed1read02...
    > Thanks for the link and thanks to everyone. I think I will stick with my
    > D600 for now.

    I've got a work issued D600 and I obtained and setup a D610 for someone
    else.

    The D610 is not, imo, a significant step up from an already very good to
    excellent machine.

    Stew
  10. Also, the D610 has a memory slot under the keyboard.. A real pain to get to.

    The D600 (at least the one I have) has the 2 memory slots easily accessible on the bottom of the laptop.
  11. This topic has been closed by Fihart

Dell Computers