Administrator Password to Initiate Recovery

September 17, 2005 2:20:01 PM

My mother has a Dell - it became seriously unusable - we are trying
reinstall/repair with the reinstallation disk - it prompts for an
administrator password - my mother purchased this Dell via phone order and it
was ready to go upon receipt - we are at a loss for where to retrieve this
adminstrator password - PLEASE ADVISE
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 3:51:08 PM

MrsDynoDoug wrote:
> My mother has a Dell - it became seriously unusable - we are trying
> reinstall/repair with the reinstallation disk - it prompts for an
> administrator password - my mother purchased this Dell via phone order and it
> was ready to go upon receipt - we are at a loss for where to retrieve this
> adminstrator password - PLEASE ADVISE

The password being requested is that of the built-in
_Administrator_ account, not the password for any other administrative
user accounts that the computer's owner may have created. Unless the
owner deliberately set the Administrator's password via the Management
Console (_not_ the Control Panel), it's probably still blank. WinXP
Pro asks the installer to set the Administrator's password during
installation, but WinXP Home doesn't.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: