Which is better Rogue Agent or Splinter Cell?

Okay this month 3 new games are coming out for the DS. Two of them
are the first full FPS games for the DS: GoldenEYE Rogue Agent
(coming out tuesday) and Splintercell coming out on the 28th. Which
in your opinion is going to be better? ANy idea? Anyone know why
most DS games are 29 dollars but Rev of the Sith and Splinter Cell are
39?? Why do they cost more?

Do you think either of these games will be a killer app for the DS in
the US (like Nintendogs is in Japan)??

Please dont bother replying if you are gonna say something about the
PSP, because I dont really care...
5 answers Last reply
More about which rogue agent splinter cell
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    Well, GoldenEye is out and it's not getting rave reviews. But I
    thought this might be relevent:

    http://ndswire.blogspot.com/2005/06/splinter-cell-vs-rogue-agent.html

    f you've seen the Metroid Prime Hunters videos then you know it's going
    to be one of the most amazing handheld shooters ever released.
    Unfortunately, we just don't know when that release date is. In the
    meantime UbiSoft and EA have taken arms and provided us with their own
    entries into the genre, both due this month. GoldenEye: Rogue Agent
    comes out in a few days and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory in just a few
    weeks. But with their arrivals timed so closely, which one should we
    buy?

    Thanks to some early hands-on impressions from IGN and 1UP I've gained
    some insight into these two very unique games. The obvious difference
    comes from what we know about the franchises already: Where as Rogue
    Agent has always provided gamers with more of a fast-paced experience,
    Splinter Cell leaves players crawling in the shadows. The same is true
    with the frame-rate, most likely due to the lighting effects SC needs
    for it's special-ops style of gameplay. It's hard to generate shadows
    at 67 MHz!

    But if a little slowdown doesn't bother you then let's approach next
    hurdle: control schemes. At the dates the demos were shown, GoldenEye
    had a highly customizable control scheme. Splinter Cell did not. It's
    true that Splinter Cell gives gamers the ability to perform more tasks,
    creating a more complicated button configuration, but an option to
    switch it up would have been nice. These complex controls also make the
    game's multiplayer much harder to play. But who knows, they could have
    fixed it since the demo version.

    So right now, GoldenEye: Rogue Agent seems to be the best buy. Splinter
    Cell: Chaos Theory does have better graphics, but they come at a price.
    Couple this with an awkward, non-Hunters, control-scheme and things get
    frustrating in the fast-paced world of multiplayer. GoldenEye also
    looks easier to "pick-up and play," a quality that I need in my
    handheld games. So the choice is up to you: better multiplayer or a
    (probably) better single-player campaign? I'll let you know once I get
    my hands on them. Make sure to check out the links below for some
    amazing hands-on videos:

    Rogue Agent Hands-On
    http://ds.ign.com/articles/623/623682p1.html
    http://ds.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3141355&did=1

    Splinter Cell Hands-On
    http://ds.ign.com/articles/624/624191p1.html
    http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3141340
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    Thanx very good read sounds like Goldeneye is good but there is still
    more to come. Splinter Cell sounds like it might be alittle slow... I
    think Im going to go pick up Goldeneye this weekend.

    On 14 Jun 2005 12:33:48 -0700, "mrnull" <mrnull@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Well, GoldenEye is out and it's not getting rave reviews. But I
    >thought this might be relevent:
    >
    >http://ndswire.blogspot.com/2005/06/splinter-cell-vs-rogue-agent.html
    >
    >f you've seen the Metroid Prime Hunters videos then you know it's going
    >to be one of the most amazing handheld shooters ever released.
    >Unfortunately, we just don't know when that release date is. In the
    >meantime UbiSoft and EA have taken arms and provided us with their own
    >entries into the genre, both due this month. GoldenEye: Rogue Agent
    >comes out in a few days and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory in just a few
    >weeks. But with their arrivals timed so closely, which one should we
    >buy?
    >
    >Thanks to some early hands-on impressions from IGN and 1UP I've gained
    >some insight into these two very unique games. The obvious difference
    >comes from what we know about the franchises already: Where as Rogue
    >Agent has always provided gamers with more of a fast-paced experience,
    >Splinter Cell leaves players crawling in the shadows. The same is true
    >with the frame-rate, most likely due to the lighting effects SC needs
    >for it's special-ops style of gameplay. It's hard to generate shadows
    >at 67 MHz!
    >
    >But if a little slowdown doesn't bother you then let's approach next
    >hurdle: control schemes. At the dates the demos were shown, GoldenEye
    >had a highly customizable control scheme. Splinter Cell did not. It's
    >true that Splinter Cell gives gamers the ability to perform more tasks,
    >creating a more complicated button configuration, but an option to
    >switch it up would have been nice. These complex controls also make the
    >game's multiplayer much harder to play. But who knows, they could have
    >fixed it since the demo version.
    >
    >So right now, GoldenEye: Rogue Agent seems to be the best buy. Splinter
    >Cell: Chaos Theory does have better graphics, but they come at a price.
    >Couple this with an awkward, non-Hunters, control-scheme and things get
    >frustrating in the fast-paced world of multiplayer. GoldenEye also
    >looks easier to "pick-up and play," a quality that I need in my
    >handheld games. So the choice is up to you: better multiplayer or a
    >(probably) better single-player campaign? I'll let you know once I get
    >my hands on them. Make sure to check out the links below for some
    >amazing hands-on videos:
    >
    >Rogue Agent Hands-On
    >http://ds.ign.com/articles/623/623682p1.html
    >http://ds.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3141355&did=1
    >
    >Splinter Cell Hands-On
    >http://ds.ign.com/articles/624/624191p1.html
    >http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3141340
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    On 14 Jun 2005 12:33:48 -0700, "mrnull" <mrnull@gmail.com> wrote:

    >ell, GoldenEye is out and it's not getting rave reviews. But I
    >thought this might be relevent:

    here is a very honest review:

    http://www.gamepublic.com/link/?446179

    Console-based first-person shooters are constantly held back by their
    reliance on sluggish analog sticks, and Nintendo DS is the first
    system to actually offer a better alternative. The Metroid Prime:
    Hunters demo proved that the DS' stylus-based touchpad could be an
    excellent mouse substitute, so where are all the Nintendo DS FPS
    games? Surprisingly, EA's GoldenEye: Rogue Agent will be the first one
    to see release. While it's closely based on the mediocre GoldenEye:
    Rogue Agent for PS2/GCN/Xbox, fantastic control and a wide-open
    marketplace score it a few more points on Nintendo's latest portable.

    In Her Majesty's Short Attention Span

    As with its console ancestor, Rogue Agent sports both a single-player
    campaign and multiplayer deathmatch. The single-player game is as
    uninspired as it was on the consoles, with a few downgrades unique to
    the DS. For example, enemies don't move or flinch when they're hit or
    spawn in suspiciously, and have downright brain-dead AI. That said,
    the weapon selection manages to cover the bases and the eye-based
    powers and a unique hostage-taking mechanism add a tiny bit of extra
    flair.

    Since it apes the previous console versions so closely, the
    single-player action seems decidedly mediocre. But midway through
    level two, something strange happened: I began to have a bit of fun. I
    played off and on as I chatted online, and found it vaguely enjoyable
    to mosey through the ultra-linear levels, taking breaks every now and
    then to rejuvenate my waning interest. I attribute this odd enjoyment
    to the game's portable nature. Being able to play it in little bites
    while doing something else lets the game shine as a moderately
    engaging little time waster. Don't get me wrong; it's still a middling
    FPS at best. However, the transformative power of context allowed me
    to squeeze out some enjoyment that I was unable to find in its
    completely boring, plodding, over-produced, under-delivering big
    brother.

    Smooth, Not Stirred

    The other major factor in my enjoyment was the control, which,
    excepting mouse-based games, is the best I've seen in a console or
    handheld FPS. Four schemes are offered, and I took quickly to the
    stylus method. Holding the stylus means that the R and select buttons
    are difficult to access, but fair substitutes are provided on the
    touchscreen. The speed and accuracy of the touchscreen-based control
    made me feel like I was running around in a PC FPS, which is the
    highest praise a console FPS' controls could hope for.

    Multiplayer is a bit stronger than single-player, but it's still a
    rather rote affair. The deathmatch action is pokey and predictable, as
    a lack of swift movement options like jumping reduce the players to
    shuffling turrets. Still, there was enough novelty in playing a
    portable, multiplayer FPS with good controls via wireless to keep me
    engaged for a while. Two extra game types accompany the standard
    deathmatch and team deathmatch, but you'll need something closer to
    the max of eight players to enjoy them. Good luck with that. You can
    shoot up a few bots while playing alone, but the bots are
    unfortunately not available to fill out teams in actual multiplayer.
    Single-card multiplayer is an option, but that allows for only one map
    and game type -- think of it as a taster for the real multiplayer
    experience. Alas, you will not be tasting that full multiplayer
    experience until you play through the single-player campaign to unlock
    all the multiplayer maps and options. Poor.

    Despite its lack of exhilarating gameplay, Rogue Agent serves as a
    nice tech demo, with smooth framerates that often hover at 60 frames
    per second. Busier scenes drop to 30 or less, but the game still looks
    pretty nice -- about as good as an N64 game might sans bilinear
    filtering. The relative smoothness and flowing control make for a
    comparatively better technical experience than Konami's upcoming PSP
    FPS Coded Arms, which, though prettier, is only 30 fps and hampered by
    a poorly placed analog stick. Too bad about the music, then; Rogue
    Agent has some absolutely awful chip music that could have been done
    better on the NES.

    Faint Praise, Indeed

    Looking at only the numbers, GoldenEye: Rogue Agent for the DS is not
    much better than last year's unimpressive console games. However, the
    smooth control, portability, and uniqueness of the experience -- this
    is the only FPS for the DS at the moment -- help differentiate it
    enough that some folks might enjoy it. Consider it the FPS equivalent
    of Sega's obnoxious launch title, Feel the Magic: It's a passable
    novelty for the moment, but later and greater FPS games will
    undoubtedly force Rogue Agent into the bargain bins.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    "mrnull" <mrnull@gmail.com> wrote in news:1118777628.834021.83820
    @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

    > Well, GoldenEye is out and it's not getting rave reviews. But I
    > thought this might be relevent:

    I don't know why everyone is so down on this game. I'm having a lot
    of fun with the GCN version.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 22:28:28 -0500, "Aaron J. Bossig"
    <linkvb06@SpammersWillBeExecuted.ptd.net> wrote:

    >I don't know why everyone is so down on this game. I'm having a lot
    >of fun with the GCN version.

    actually the reviews are not too bad. It's just not setting the
    world on fire. Im planning on picking it up this weekend. It sounds
    better then Splinter Cell DS which according to reviews is slow...

Console Gaming Games Video Nintendo Video Games