iffy dvd writer

HELP!

I bought myself a DVD reader writer gizmo last week.

At the shop they said that they had a bog standard one,
in a box, with software and instructions for £30, or I
could have a Pioneer DVR110-D for £35.
I was told that this was a much better piece of kit,
but the deal was that I got it in a plastic bag, with
hardly any instructions and no software.

I went for the Pioneer. Had I lived in the days of the Wild West, no doubt
I'd have my cupboards filled with snake oil.

Now, I've tried burning onto a disk a couple of times.
My daughter has about 3Gb of stuff stored on one of my
drives. I tried copying it onto a DVD by dragging and
dropping to files onto the DVD using XP. It's not
happy. I'm wondering, do I need some extra software?
I've heard about Nero, although I'll be honest and
admit that I don't really know what it does....and I
do know how expensive it is.

All I really want to do is back stuff up at the
moment, although I suppose I'd also like to file some
of my music MP3s and some photographs
Any ideas?
Phil
2 answers Last reply
More about iffy writer

    XP does not support burning to DVDs. You will need other software to burn
    the DVDs.

    "Phil" <groeswenphil@idrathernotgetanyspam.btinternet.com> wrote in message

    > HELP!
    >
    > I bought myself a DVD reader writer gizmo last week.
    >
    > At the shop they said that they had a bog standard one,
    > in a box, with software and instructions for £30, or I
    > could have a Pioneer DVR110-D for £35.
    > I was told that this was a much better piece of kit,
    > but the deal was that I got it in a plastic bag, with
    > hardly any instructions and no software.
    >
    > I went for the Pioneer. Had I lived in the days of the Wild West, no doubt
    > I'd have my cupboards filled with snake oil.
    >
    > Now, I've tried burning onto a disk a couple of times.
    > My daughter has about 3Gb of stuff stored on one of my
    > drives. I tried copying it onto a DVD by dragging and
    > dropping to files onto the DVD using XP. It's not
    > happy. I'm wondering, do I need some extra software?
    > I've heard about Nero, although I'll be honest and
    > admit that I don't really know what it does....and I
    > do know how expensive it is.
    >
    > All I really want to do is back stuff up at the
    > moment, although I suppose I'd also like to file some
    > of my music MP3s and some photographs
    > Any ideas?
    > Phil

    Hi Phil, you do need burning software for your problem. I'm using nero6 which
    is a great bit of kit. Search around for the best price. excellent for mp3s
    videos data back up etc. good luck.
    --
    Thanks for your time and help, Holmesy.

    "Phil" wrote:

    > HELP!
    >
    > I bought myself a DVD reader writer gizmo last week.
    >
    > At the shop they said that they had a bog standard one,
    > in a box, with software and instructions for £30, or I
    > could have a Pioneer DVR110-D for £35.
    > I was told that this was a much better piece of kit,
    > but the deal was that I got it in a plastic bag, with
    > hardly any instructions and no software.
    >
    > I went for the Pioneer. Had I lived in the days of the Wild West, no doubt
    > I'd have my cupboards filled with snake oil.
    >
    > Now, I've tried burning onto a disk a couple of times.
    > My daughter has about 3Gb of stuff stored on one of my
    > drives. I tried copying it onto a DVD by dragging and
    > dropping to files onto the DVD using XP. It's not
    > happy. I'm wondering, do I need some extra software?
    > I've heard about Nero, although I'll be honest and
    > admit that I don't really know what it does....and I
    > do know how expensive it is.
    >
    > All I really want to do is back stuff up at the
    > moment, although I suppose I'd also like to file some
    > of my music MP3s and some photographs
    > Any ideas?
    > Phil

DVD Writers Software Windows XP Product