iffy dvd writer

September 17, 2005 9:33:12 PM

HELP!

I bought myself a DVD reader writer gizmo last week.

At the shop they said that they had a bog standard one,
in a box, with software and instructions for £30, or I
could have a Pioneer DVR110-D for £35.
I was told that this was a much better piece of kit,
but the deal was that I got it in a plastic bag, with
hardly any instructions and no software.

I went for the Pioneer. Had I lived in the days of the Wild West, no doubt
I'd have my cupboards filled with snake oil.

Now, I've tried burning onto a disk a couple of times.
My daughter has about 3Gb of stuff stored on one of my
drives. I tried copying it onto a DVD by dragging and
dropping to files onto the DVD using XP. It's not
happy. I'm wondering, do I need some extra software?
I've heard about Nero, although I'll be honest and
admit that I don't really know what it does....and I
do know how expensive it is.

All I really want to do is back stuff up at the
moment, although I suppose I'd also like to file some
of my music MP3s and some photographs
Any ideas?
Phil

More about : iffy dvd writer

September 17, 2005 9:33:13 PM

XP does not support burning to DVDs. You will need other software to burn
the DVDs.

"Phil" <groeswenphil@idrathernotgetanyspam.btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:D ghk0o$c86$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...

> HELP!
>
> I bought myself a DVD reader writer gizmo last week.
>
> At the shop they said that they had a bog standard one,
> in a box, with software and instructions for £30, or I
> could have a Pioneer DVR110-D for £35.
> I was told that this was a much better piece of kit,
> but the deal was that I got it in a plastic bag, with
> hardly any instructions and no software.
>
> I went for the Pioneer. Had I lived in the days of the Wild West, no doubt
> I'd have my cupboards filled with snake oil.
>
> Now, I've tried burning onto a disk a couple of times.
> My daughter has about 3Gb of stuff stored on one of my
> drives. I tried copying it onto a DVD by dragging and
> dropping to files onto the DVD using XP. It's not
> happy. I'm wondering, do I need some extra software?
> I've heard about Nero, although I'll be honest and
> admit that I don't really know what it does....and I
> do know how expensive it is.
>
> All I really want to do is back stuff up at the
> moment, although I suppose I'd also like to file some
> of my music MP3s and some photographs
> Any ideas?
> Phil

Anonymous
September 17, 2005 9:33:13 PM

Hi Phil, you do need burning software for your problem. I'm using nero6 which
is a great bit of kit. Search around for the best price. excellent for mp3s
videos data back up etc. good luck.
--
Thanks for your time and help, Holmesy.

!