zak

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2004

my windows explorer, not internet explorer, seems to have a problem.
when I start up my computer, the computer slows down to almost a halt.
I open the task manager and I click "processes".
I found that the explorer process is using 99% of my cpu.
any ideas?

Do you mean iexplore.exe? iexplore.exe is normally Internet Explorer.

However, iexplore.exe is also registered as the Trojan.KillAV.B virus, which
systematically attempts to disable your AntiVirus solutions and also affects
some windows system tools.

Update your antivirus software and run a complete scan.

iexplore.exe is normally in these two folders...
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer
and
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

Symantec Security Response - Trojan.KillAV.B
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/trojan.killav.b.html

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:CCF83198-A49B-4B7D-85FD-565E6BEDFBD3@microsoft.com,
zak <zak@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> my windows explorer, not internet explorer, seems to have a problem.
> when I start up my computer, the computer slows down to almost a halt.
> I open the task manager and I click "processes".
> I found that the explorer process is using 99% of my cpu.
> any ideas?

zak

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2004

no.
its explorer.exe
and when i close it
my taskbar and desktop icons go away
but, when its closed everything runs nice and smooth