explorer

my windows explorer, not internet explorer, seems to have a problem.
when I start up my computer, the computer slows down to almost a halt.
I open the task manager and I click "processes".
I found that the explorer process is using 99% of my cpu.
any ideas?
2 answers Last reply
More about explorer

    Do you mean iexplore.exe? iexplore.exe is normally Internet Explorer.

    However, iexplore.exe is also registered as the Trojan.KillAV.B virus, which
    systematically attempts to disable your AntiVirus solutions and also affects
    some windows system tools.

    Update your antivirus software and run a complete scan.

    iexplore.exe is normally in these two folders...
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer
    and
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

    Symantec Security Response - Trojan.KillAV.B
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/trojan.killav.b.html

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:CCF83198-A49B-4B7D-85FD-565E6BEDFBD3@microsoft.com,
    zak <zak@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > my windows explorer, not internet explorer, seems to have a problem.
    > when I start up my computer, the computer slows down to almost a halt.
    > I open the task manager and I click "processes".
    > I found that the explorer process is using 99% of my cpu.
    > any ideas?

    no.
    its explorer.exe
    and when i close it
    my taskbar and desktop icons go away
    but, when its closed everything runs nice and smooth

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Do you mean iexplore.exe? iexplore.exe is normally Internet Explorer.
    >
    > However, iexplore.exe is also registered as the Trojan.KillAV.B virus, which
    > systematically attempts to disable your AntiVirus solutions and also affects
    > some windows system tools.
    >
    > Update your antivirus software and run a complete scan.
    >
    > iexplore.exe is normally in these two folders...
    > C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer
    > and
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache
    >
    > Symantec Security Response - Trojan.KillAV.B
    > http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/trojan.killav.b.html
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:CCF83198-A49B-4B7D-85FD-565E6BEDFBD3@microsoft.com,
    > zak <zak@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > my windows explorer, not internet explorer, seems to have a problem.
    > > when I start up my computer, the computer slows down to almost a halt.
    > > I open the task manager and I click "processes".
    > > I found that the explorer process is using 99% of my cpu.
    > > any ideas?

Computers Explorer Windows XP