Help! I cant delete any file now all are write protected o..

Help me somebody please!!

In recent days we have been suddenly confronted with a problem in deleting
ANY files on the C drive.
We just get an error message that the files are "write protected" and this
should be removed before continuing.
Problem is that the File properties attributes show only, "read only",
"hidden" and "archive".
Usualy the archive box is ticked, but with all "un-ticked" it makes no
difference. Are we looking in the wrong place?

We've run adaware, spybot, antivirus, system mechanic, cleaned up all we can
see, and rebooted , all to no avail.
There must be a simple solution, but it's lost on us.

It also doesn't like to empty the waste bin?

We have been able to remove cookies and temp files using system mechanic,
but it's failed to solve the main problem..
Where did it come from and what can we do now?
Thanks for your patience! , ours is wearing thin.!

Chris C

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

If you have a FAT32 system then you could boot using a real-mode DOS boot
floppy and delete the files from there.

"Chris C" <coldwellfamily@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Help me somebody please!!
>
> In recent days we have been suddenly confronted with a problem in
> deleting ANY files on the C drive.
> We just get an error message that the files are "write protected" and this
> should be removed before continuing.
> Problem is that the File properties attributes show only, "read only",
> "hidden" and "archive".
> Usualy the archive box is ticked, but with all "un-ticked" it makes no
> difference. Are we looking in the wrong place?
>
> We've run adaware, spybot, antivirus, system mechanic, cleaned up all we
> can see, and rebooted , all to no avail.
> There must be a simple solution, but it's lost on us.
>
> It also doesn't like to empty the waste bin?
>
> We have been able to remove cookies and temp files using system mechanic,
> but it's failed to solve the main problem..
> Where did it come from and what can we do now?
> Thanks for your patience! , ours is wearing thin.!
>
> Chris C

mak

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001

poke about in BIOS for "write protect"

"Chris C" <coldwellfamily@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Help me somebody please!!
>
> In recent days we have been suddenly confronted with a problem in
> deleting ANY files on the C drive.
> We just get an error message that the files are "write protected" and this
> should be removed before continuing.
> Problem is that the File properties attributes show only, "read only",
> "hidden" and "archive".
> Usualy the archive box is ticked, but with all "un-ticked" it makes no
> difference. Are we looking in the wrong place?
>
> We've run adaware, spybot, antivirus, system mechanic, cleaned up all we
> can see, and rebooted , all to no avail.
> There must be a simple solution, but it's lost on us.
>
> It also doesn't like to empty the waste bin?
>
> We have been able to remove cookies and temp files using system mechanic,
> but it's failed to solve the main problem..
> Where did it come from and what can we do now?
> Thanks for your patience! , ours is wearing thin.!
>
> Chris C

Also, fix your clock.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Chris C" <coldwellfamily@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Help me somebody please!!
>
> In recent days we have been suddenly confronted with a problem in
> deleting ANY files on the C drive.
> We just get an error message that the files are "write protected" and this
> should be removed before continuing.
> Problem is that the File properties attributes show only, "read only",
> "hidden" and "archive".
> Usualy the archive box is ticked, but with all "un-ticked" it makes no
> difference. Are we looking in the wrong place?
>
> We've run adaware, spybot, antivirus, system mechanic, cleaned up all we
> can see, and rebooted , all to no avail.
> There must be a simple solution, but it's lost on us.
>
> It also doesn't like to empty the waste bin?
>
> We have been able to remove cookies and temp files using system mechanic,
> but it's failed to solve the main problem..
> Where did it come from and what can we do now?
> Thanks for your patience! , ours is wearing thin.!
>
> Chris C

Byte

My first question is, are you the Administrator or a limited User? If you are
the Administrator, you should be able to delete them in Safe Mode:
"How to Boot in Safe Mode"
http://www.columbia.edu/acis/capture/safemode.html

"Access Denied" Error Message When You Try to Delete a File
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=298345
--
XP-WNP
Today is the first day of the