LaCie Mobile USB Drive vibrating

September 17, 2005 5:48:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.computer.drivers (More info?)

Hi,

I bought a new LaCie USB 2.0 100 Mb external drive. It is quite small
and does not require power adapter.

The thing is that when the drive is plugged in to my laptop it produces
very quite, soft vibration, which is noticeable only if you touch the
hard drive.

My concern is whether this is normal? This is the first external USB
drive I have I don't know if this behaviours is normal for those types
of devices. Please send your comments?

Thanks
Lato
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 7:17:09 PM

<web@ivanweb.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I bought a new LaCie USB 2.0 100 Mb external drive. It is quite small
> and does not require power adapter.
>
> The thing is that when the drive is plugged in to my laptop it produces
> very quite, soft vibration, which is noticeable only if you touch the
> hard drive.
>
> My concern is whether this is normal? This is the first external USB
> drive I have I don't know if this behaviours is normal for those types
> of devices. Please send your comments?
>
> Thanks
> Lato

The hard drive is spinning, which can cause a little vibration. If it's a
lot, it could indicate a problem.
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 8:46:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.computer.drivers (More info?)

Most 100MB USB disks use chips to store the files instead of a physical
spinning disk drive. USB disks that are larger, (i.e. several Gigabytes),
are generally physical spinning disks, which would vibrate.
So the real question is, did you mean 100Gb or 100Mb?

--
Eric Bursley
Microsoft MVP

<web@ivanweb.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I bought a new LaCie USB 2.0 100 Mb external drive. It is quite small
> and does not require power adapter.
>
> The thing is that when the drive is plugged in to my laptop it produces
> very quite, soft vibration, which is noticeable only if you touch the
> hard drive.
>
> My concern is whether this is normal? This is the first external USB
> drive I have I don't know if this behaviours is normal for those types
> of devices. Please send your comments?
>
> Thanks
> Lato

September 17, 2005 10:50:18 PM

In article <1126990098.824885.257890@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
<web@ivanweb.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I bought a new LaCie USB 2.0 100 Mb external drive. It is quite small
>and does not require power adapter.
>
>The thing is that when the drive is plugged in to my laptop it produces
>very quite, soft vibration, which is noticeable only if you touch the
>hard drive.
>
>My concern is whether this is normal? This is the first external USB
>drive I have I don't know if this behaviours is normal for those types
>of devices. Please send your comments?

The bits are unbalanced. You need to buy the Extra Premium Unleaded
version of DiskLeaper to rebalance them. Order extra lead weights. You
might need them.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
September 18, 2005 3:50:09 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.computer.drivers (More info?)

Oh, sorry, I mean 100Gb. So, can I assume that little vibration is
normal and the hard drive is ok?

Thanks
Lato
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 11:02:10 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.computer.drivers (More info?)

It depends upon what you mean by "vibration".

The word is highly subjective and open to interpretation. I have installed
many hundreds of hard drives. I have never had even one vibrate. If I put my
finger on one I can not even tell it is running.

If you have a "pulsing" type of vibration that is highly rhythmic, I would
say the drive is mechanically defective and should be replaced. If there is
a fan in the external case, it is likely that the fan is out of balance and
you don't have a drive vibration problem at all.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

> Oh, sorry, I mean 100Gb. So, can I assume that little vibration is
> normal and the hard drive is ok?
>
> Thanks
> Lato

Anonymous
September 18, 2005 12:52:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.computer.drivers (More info?)

I don't think it has a fan, it is very small -
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID...

The vibration is very "soft" but when you touch the drive you can tell
that it is running. I will probably return it.

Thanks
Ivan
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 1:48:30 PM

In article <1127026209.116630.280490@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
<web@ivanweb.com> wrote:
>Oh, sorry, I mean 100Gb. So, can I assume that little vibration is
>normal and the hard drive is ok?

Does it have a fan? If it's the *disk* that's vibrating
I'd take it back.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 3:10:42 PM

"Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> It depends upon what you mean by "vibration".
>
> The word is highly subjective and open to interpretation. I have installed
> many hundreds of hard drives. I have never had even one vibrate. If I put
> my finger on one I can not even tell it is running.

Hmmm....really? That's one of my high-tech diagnositics for hard drives.
There's a different sensation when a drive is spinning and when it's not.
It's not like a washing machine, but there's something, even on the quietest
drives I have.

It could also have something to do with the way the drive is mounted, or
what it's sitting on. If you've got something resonating with the drive, it
can multiply the effect.

> If you have a "pulsing" type of vibration that is highly rhythmic, I would
> say the drive is mechanically defective and should be replaced. If there
> is a fan in the external case, it is likely that the fan is out of balance
> and you don't have a drive vibration problem at all.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> <web@ivanweb.com> wrote in message
>> Oh, sorry, I mean 100Gb. So, can I assume that little vibration is
>> normal and the hard drive is ok?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Lato

Anonymous
September 18, 2005 7:22:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.computer.drivers (More info?)

A spinning type sensation (feel) is a lot different than a vibration, which
should not be. As I have said, I have never seed an actual vibration. At the
speeds the disks spin at, I would thing that the platters would self
destruct.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

"D.Currie" <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
> message news:e8h4rBEvFHA.3756@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> It depends upon what you mean by "vibration".
>>
>> The word is highly subjective and open to interpretation. I have
>> installed many hundreds of hard drives. I have never had even one
>> vibrate. If I put my finger on one I can not even tell it is running.
>>

> Hmmm....really? That's one of my high-tech diagnositics for hard drives.
> There's a different sensation when a drive is spinning and when it's not.
> It's not like a washing machine, but there's something, even on the
> quietest drives I have.
>
> It could also have something to do with the way the drive is mounted, or
> what it's sitting on. If you've got something resonating with the drive,
> it can multiply the effect.
>

>> If you have a "pulsing" type of vibration that is highly rhythmic, I
>> would say the drive is mechanically defective and should be replaced. If
>> there is a fan in the external case, it is likely that the fan is out of
>> balance and you don't have a drive vibration problem at all.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Quote from: George Ankner
>> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
>>
>> <web@ivanweb.com> wrote in message
>>> Oh, sorry, I mean 100Gb. So, can I assume that little vibration is
>>> normal and the hard drive is ok?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Lato

Anonymous
September 18, 2005 8:42:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.computer.drivers (More info?)

I guess if I had to describe the sensation, it would be difficult. A hum,
maybe, but that's a sound. I'll bet that a lot of people would describe it
as a vibration -- I really can't think of much else to call it, if I was
forced to name it. I know it's caused by the spinning drive, but if I didn't
know something inside was spinning, I don't know if I'd recognize it as
that, since all I'm feeling is exterior of the drive.

Needless to say, it's impossible to tell if what the OP was feeling was
normal or not, considering we both know what the sensation is, and we're
still fiddling with the semantics.

Might be a good experiment. Have someone touch a drive and ask them what the
sensation is.

news:o xJdeZIvFHA.2792@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

!