video card

G

Hello I have a system that is under warranty, I would like to get a new video card, but if I can somehow make this one not work then it would be replaced under the warranty. How would be a good way to do this?

juicebykurt

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
hit it with a hammer or similar device

serioulsy tho... you could always just say it's faulty. depending on the vendor you may get away with it. half the time they don't check to see if it works anyway. besides, what makes you think you will get a better card? wont they just replace it with the same one?

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Microwave it for a few seconds (3-5). That should fry it nicely. As a bonus, you'll get a nice "burnt electronics" smell. They shouldn't question that it's bad when they smell that.

But aren't they going to replace it under warranty with the same or an equivalent card? So you won't really be getting an "upgrade", will you? Seems like a lot of trouble to go through to get a new equivalent card.

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks."

G

yes I can overclock it to death but wouldnt they know?

Is there some kind of diagnostics they might do that will tell them it was overclocked?

My system is a year old and from my understanding they have been upgrading the card to a better card.

Microwaving the card? umm sounds a little weird.

also, they may not even check the card but what should I tell them when they are doing like the phone anyalis to tell if is messed up or not?

like is it showing lines? or flickers or what?

thanks

aces170

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2002
just tell them, u get random blue screens , while playing some games, no way are they gonna know for sure then

juicebykurt

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
yeah you can say blue screens and throw in the stuff you said so they cant question that its the video card. a safer bet may be to say that you just dont have any video at all anymore. as if the thing just went and died. and you could tell them that you replaced it with an old one you had lying around and everything worked fine. that way you have all the trouble shooting done before you call them. cause they will prolly want to tshoot you to death. hehe... i feel like im in grade school helping my friend lie to his mom... hahahaha.

G

All of these are good ideas... errr... they will work. But why not try this... Take a small exacto knife (a razor blade), and go to the bottom of the card. Cut some of the direct lines heading towards the VGA output. If you do this carfeully enough (obviously, a straight-line through the bottom will be obvious), it will be a unknown error, and they will have to replace the card.

G

that sounds a little extreme. I like the blue screen thing because with that they might not know. I am not into damaging the card because that would be to extreme. I just would like them to do a nice little upgrade..

G

Yah right, often enough people buy those expensive extended warranties and never use them a bit, and I have spent hundereds of dollars on these just to protect myself. So, every now and then someone wants to take advantage of it and you side with them. I dont think that is the reason why components are so expensive anyways, the r&d they put into it would be my guess. Anyways if this post bothers you that much then I suggest that you just don't read it anymore.

Me.