Reinstallation of XP resulted in lost harddisk space

September 17, 2005 8:00:01 PM

I have just reinstalled Win XP on my Dell Inspiron with a 40 GB harddisk. I
deleted all the partitions, and the result was that ca 10 GB of space was
lost. Is there any way I can find the last 10?

I hope someone can help me with an answer.

Best regards Johnny
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 10:40:07 PM

So you had a 10GB patition that you deleted and now you need to extend your
C partition into that.
Here is a question......was that the Dell recovery partition that you
deleted??? or do you have the actual XP CD??
peterk

"Baluba JC" <BalubaJC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just reinstalled Win XP on my Dell Inspiron with a 40 GB harddisk. I
> deleted all the partitions, and the result was that ca 10 GB of space was
> lost. Is there any way I can find the last 10?
>
> I hope someone can help me with an answer.
>
> Best regards Johnny
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 1:45:21 PM

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 16:00:01 -0700, Baluba JC
<BalubaJC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have just reinstalled Win XP on my Dell Inspiron with a 40 GB harddisk. I
>deleted all the partitions, and the result was that ca 10 GB of space was
>lost. Is there any way I can find the last 10?
>
>I hope someone can help me with an answer.
>
>Best regards Johnny

The default values for the IE cache, recycle bin and system restore
are CRAZY. If you set them to more normal or acceptable values you'd
get oodles of space back. Last week, reclaimed >5Gb on my
brother-in-law's PC by changing IE's cache from 5.5Gb to 50 Mb (he's
on 2Mb ADSL).

--
Cheers,

Guy

September 18, 2005 3:37:04 PM

Thank you very much for your reply.

I decided to reinstall XP since my system partition started to be to small.
After taking necessary backup f my data to an external disk device I booted
the computer with a actual XP CD. I deleted all the (dynamic disk) partitions
I could fine, and made a new partition where I installed the OS. After I
installed the OS, and I started the Diskmanager, I saw that I had lost 10 GB
of storagespace. I wonder if there is anything I could use to check what
happened?

Johnny

"peterk" wrote:

> So you had a 10GB patition that you deleted and now you need to extend your
> C partition into that.
> Here is a question......was that the Dell recovery partition that you
> deleted??? or do you have the actual XP CD??
> peterk
>
> --
> Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
> "Baluba JC" <BalubaJC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have just reinstalled Win XP on my Dell Inspiron with a 40 GB harddisk. I
> > deleted all the partitions, and the result was that ca 10 GB of space was
> > lost. Is there any way I can find the last 10?
> >
> > I hope someone can help me with an answer.
> >
> > Best regards Johnny

September 18, 2005 4:36:08 PM

Did you choose FAT32? WinXp can access FAT32 partition(s) bigger than 32GB,
but will let you create one only up to that size (32GB).

!