replace 2.4g Celeron in Dimension 2400?

I would like to replace the 2.4ghz Celeron CPU in 5 Dimension 2400
systems we have - anyone know what the max it can handle is?

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
9 answers Last reply
More about replace celeron dimension 2400

    >I would like to replace the 2.4ghz Celeron CPU in 5 Dimension
    >2400
    > systems we have - anyone know what the max it can handle is?

    > spam999free@rrohio.com
    > remove 999 in order to email me

    Dell says;
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2400/en/sm_en/specs.htm

    Intel Pentium 4 that runs at 2.2 or 2.4 GHz internally and 400
    MHz externally,
    or 2.266, 2.4, 2.53, 2.66, 2.8, or 3.06 GHz internally and 533
    MHz externally.
    Intel Celeron that runs at 2.0, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, or 2.7
    GHz internally and 400 MHz externally.

    I'm not too sure this would be an economic upgrade though.

    In article <d8OdnQsChNiTLkbfRVn-3w@adelphia.com>, nospam@nospam.com
    says...
    > "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
    > >I would like to replace the 2.4ghz Celeron CPU in 5 Dimension
    > >2400
    > > systems we have - anyone know what the max it can handle is?
    > >
    > > --
    > > --
    > > spam999free@rrohio.com
    > > remove 999 in order to email me
    >
    > Dell says;
    > http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2400/en/sm_en/specs.htm
    >
    > Intel Pentium 4 that runs at 2.2 or 2.4 GHz internally and 400
    > MHz externally,
    > or 2.266, 2.4, 2.53, 2.66, 2.8, or 3.06 GHz internally and 533
    > MHz externally.
    > Intel Celeron that runs at 2.0, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, or 2.7
    > GHz internally and 400 MHz externally.
    >
    > I'm not too sure this would be an economic upgrade though.

    Thanks - it appears that moving to PC2700 RAM and upgrading to a real
    video card and then upgrading to a 2.8ghz P4 would be the only viable
    option, if we upgrade them.

    Thanks for the link, it's greatly appreciated.

    > In article <d8OdnQsChNiTLkbfRVn-3w@adelphia.com>, nospam@nospam.com
    > says...
    >> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
    >> >I would like to replace the 2.4ghz Celeron CPU in 5 Dimension
    >> >2400
    >> > systems we have - anyone know what the max it can handle is?
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > --
    >> > spam999free@rrohio.com
    >> > remove 999 in order to email me
    >>
    >> Dell says;
    >> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2400/en/sm_en/specs.htm
    >>
    >> Intel Pentium 4 that runs at 2.2 or 2.4 GHz internally and 400
    >> MHz externally,
    >> or 2.266, 2.4, 2.53, 2.66, 2.8, or 3.06 GHz internally and 533
    >> MHz externally.
    >> Intel Celeron that runs at 2.0, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, or 2.7
    >> GHz internally and 400 MHz externally.
    >>
    >> I'm not too sure this would be an economic upgrade though.
    >
    > Thanks - it appears that moving to PC2700 RAM and upgrading to a real
    > video card and then upgrading to a 2.8ghz P4 would be the only viable
    > option, if we upgrade them.
    >
    > Thanks for the link, it's greatly appreciated.

    > spam999free@rrohio.com
    > remove 999 in order to email me

    By that time you could pay for a 4700. Remember, the only video card you
    can install is an older PCI card (not a PCIe or AGP). No dedicated video
    card slot in a 2400.

    Tom

    In article <XnPCe.10610$iG6.7721@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
    tomtoo@softhome.net says...

    > "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
    > > In article <d8OdnQsChNiTLkbfRVn-3w@adelphia.com>, nospam@nospam.com
    > > says...
    > >> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message

    > >> Dell says;
    > >> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2400/en/sm_en/specs.htm
    > >>
    > >> Intel Pentium 4 that runs at 2.2 or 2.4 GHz internally and 400
    > >> MHz externally,
    > >> or 2.266, 2.4, 2.53, 2.66, 2.8, or 3.06 GHz internally and 533
    > >> MHz externally.
    > >> Intel Celeron that runs at 2.0, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, or 2.7
    > >> GHz internally and 400 MHz externally.
    > >>
    > >> I'm not too sure this would be an economic upgrade though.
    > >
    > > Thanks - it appears that moving to PC2700 RAM and upgrading to a real
    > > video card and then upgrading to a 2.8ghz P4 would be the only viable
    > > option, if we upgrade them.
    > >
    > > Thanks for the link, it's greatly appreciated.
    > >

    > By that time you could pay for a 4700. Remember, the only video card you
    > can install is an older PCI card (not a PCIe or AGP). No dedicated video
    > card slot in a 2400.

    Yea, I just spec'd a 2.8ghz P4 and a 512MB/DDR333 for the upgrade, about
    $250 and I would still be stuck with no real AGP video card. I'm passing
    the info on to the customer, only alternative is to get a new case, PSU,
    motherboard, and CPU and then use there rest of the parts....

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    Or, if you could get a Dell 4000-series motherboard inexpensively, install it in
    place of the 2400 board. IIRC, Dimension boards up thru the 4600 share the
    chassis and power supply with the 2400. Check the specs on various Dimensions
    on the Dell web site before buying. The 4000 series all have AGP slots... Ben
    Myers

    On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 15:07:53 GMT, Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote:

    >In article <XnPCe.10610$iG6.7721@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
    >tomtoo@softhome.net says...
    >>
    >> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
    >> > In article <d8OdnQsChNiTLkbfRVn-3w@adelphia.com>, nospam@nospam.com
    >> > says...

    >> > Thanks - it appears that moving to PC2700 RAM and upgrading to a real
    >> > video card and then upgrading to a 2.8ghz P4 would be the only viable
    >> > option, if we upgrade them.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for the link, it's greatly appreciated.
    >> >

    >> By that time you could pay for a 4700. Remember, the only video card you
    >> can install is an older PCI card (not a PCIe or AGP). No dedicated video
    >> card slot in a 2400.
    >
    >Yea, I just spec'd a 2.8ghz P4 and a 512MB/DDR333 for the upgrade, about
    >$250 and I would still be stuck with no real AGP video card. I'm passing
    >the info on to the customer, only alternative is to get a new case, PSU,
    >motherboard, and CPU and then use there rest of the parts....
    >
    >--
    >--
    >spam999free@rrohio.com
    >remove 999 in order to email me

    In article <42dbda2d.12593004@nntp.charter.net>, ben_myers_spam_me_not @
    charter.net (Ben Myers) says...
    > Or, if you could get a Dell 4000-series motherboard inexpensively, install it in
    > place of the 2400 board. IIRC, Dimension boards up thru the 4600 share the
    > chassis and power supply with the 2400. Check the specs on various Dimensions
    > on the Dell web site before buying. The 4000 series all have AGP slots... Ben
    > Myers

    If I was going to change the MB I would get an ASUS or Intel
    motherboard, faster CPU (800fsb) and do a lot more. The cost of a Dell
    motherboard to just use the same CPU and slow memory is just not worth
    it.

    In fact, if you go as far as the Motherboard, CPU, Video and RAM, you
    might as well just go with a new case/psu so that you don't have to deal
    with the Dell case issues.

    I was trying to keep the Dell MB so that I don't have to purchase
    another OEM copy of XP Pro - as it's clear that changing the motherboard
    for non-warranty/repair reasons invalidates the OEM license for XP
    already installed on the machine.

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    Well, the issue with the Dimension 2400 chassis is that it is wired up to use
    Dell boards. Any attempt at installing a non-Dell board like an Asus or Intel
    generic board requires quite a bit of modification:

    1. The external fan on the back of the case uses a non-standard connector.
    2. The USB cable to the front panel has a non-standard connector.
    3. The other wire leads to the front panel also have a non-standard connector.

    So one would end up spending more time jury-rigging the wiring than the
    conversion to a Dell board would be worth. Not recommended except for serious
    masochists. Better to install a Dell board with better specs than the 2400.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 17:09:59 GMT, Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote:

    >In article <42dbda2d.12593004@nntp.charter.net>, ben_myers_spam_me_not @
    >charter.net (Ben Myers) says...
    >> Or, if you could get a Dell 4000-series motherboard inexpensively, install it in
    >> place of the 2400 board. IIRC, Dimension boards up thru the 4600 share the
    >> chassis and power supply with the 2400. Check the specs on various Dimensions
    >> on the Dell web site before buying. The 4000 series all have AGP slots... Ben
    >> Myers
    >
    >If I was going to change the MB I would get an ASUS or Intel
    >motherboard, faster CPU (800fsb) and do a lot more. The cost of a Dell
    >motherboard to just use the same CPU and slow memory is just not worth
    >it.
    >
    >In fact, if you go as far as the Motherboard, CPU, Video and RAM, you
    >might as well just go with a new case/psu so that you don't have to deal
    >with the Dell case issues.
    >
    >I was trying to keep the Dell MB so that I don't have to purchase
    >another OEM copy of XP Pro - as it's clear that changing the motherboard
    >for non-warranty/repair reasons invalidates the OEM license for XP
    >already installed on the machine.
    >
    >--
    >--
    >spam999free@rrohio.com
    >remove 999 in order to email me

    3.06/533, 512K cache, socket 478.

    The 2400 will not support a Prescott (1M cache), 800 or 1066 MHz FSB,
    nor any LGA-775 CPU.

    In article <iFXCe.1149$fx4.200@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>, ejn63
    @myrealbox.com says...
    > 3.06/533, 512K cache, socket 478.
    >

    > The 2400 will not support a Prescott (1M cache), 800 or 1066 MHz FSB,
    > nor any LGA-775 CPU.

    Yes, it appears to support 400/533 FSB processors and PC2700 RAM.

    > Leythos wrote:
    > > I would like to replace the 2.4ghz Celeron CPU in 5 Dimension 2400
    > > systems we have - anyone know what the max it can handle is?

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

Dell Celeron Dimension Computers