wusb54g won't reconnect on reboot (winXP)

I am running 2 desktops connected by wireless (linksys wrt54g) router
on the primary machine (with cable modem) and wusb54g on the secondary
machine. Both are running WinXP with latest patches. Router and
network adapter are running latest drivers and flashable upgrades.

The network is fine, however, when I reboot my secondary PC, the 2nd
machine does not re-establish the network connection, but all I have
to do is unplug the wusb54g (usb plug) and plug it back in again and
then it reconnects to the network.

I am not broadcasting SSID and am using MAC address to restrict
access.

Any suggestions on how I can avoid having to unplug and plug-in the
wusb54g network adapter each time I restart the machine?

Is it something to do with IP assignments? or an adapter problem?

Suggestions appreciated.

thx
andycon
4 answers Last reply
More about wusb54g reconnect reboot winxp

    I would try enabling the broadcast of the SSID, it is known that not
    broadcasting it can cause problems.

    The other thing that springs to mind is that it may be a USB issue.

    On 12 Jun 2004 08:53:14 -0700, andycon007@hotmail.com (andycon) wrote:

    >I am running 2 desktops connected by wireless (linksys wrt54g) router
    >on the primary machine (with cable modem) and wusb54g on the secondary
    >machine. Both are running WinXP with latest patches. Router and
    >network adapter are running latest drivers and flashable upgrades.
    >
    >The network is fine, however, when I reboot my secondary PC, the 2nd
    >machine does not re-establish the network connection, but all I have
    >to do is unplug the wusb54g (usb plug) and plug it back in again and
    >then it reconnects to the network.
    >
    >I am not broadcasting SSID and am using MAC address to restrict
    >access.
    >
    >Any suggestions on how I can avoid having to unplug and plug-in the
    >wusb54g network adapter each time I restart the machine?
    >
    >Is it something to do with IP assignments? or an adapter problem?
    >
    >Suggestions appreciated.
    >
    >thx
    >andycon

    Drop the ZZZ to reply

    Cheers ...

    Thanks Chris, I will try it with SSID broadcast, but it seems suspicious
    that it can still pick it up by unplugging and replugging. I would also
    prefer to operate without broadcasting SSID. I will also try another USB
    port.
    Something that springs to mind is that I installed a usb2.0 adapter card and
    am using that for the usb port. The mobo only supported usb1.
    I wonder if that is having problems not initializing properly on a reboot. I
    will poke around and report back.

    thx
    Andrew
    "Chris Davies" <z400d3ZZZ@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I would try enabling the broadcast of the SSID, it is known that not
    > broadcasting it can cause problems.
    >
    > The other thing that springs to mind is that it may be a USB issue.
    >

    > On 12 Jun 2004 08:53:14 -0700, andycon007@hotmail.com (andycon) wrote:
    >
    > >I am running 2 desktops connected by wireless (linksys wrt54g) router
    > >on the primary machine (with cable modem) and wusb54g on the secondary
    > >machine. Both are running WinXP with latest patches. Router and
    > >network adapter are running latest drivers and flashable upgrades.
    > >
    > >The network is fine, however, when I reboot my secondary PC, the 2nd
    > >machine does not re-establish the network connection, but all I have
    > >to do is unplug the wusb54g (usb plug) and plug it back in again and
    > >then it reconnects to the network.
    > >
    > >I am not broadcasting SSID and am using MAC address to restrict
    > >access.
    > >
    > >Any suggestions on how I can avoid having to unplug and plug-in the
    > >wusb54g network adapter each time I restart the machine?
    > >
    > >Is it something to do with IP assignments? or an adapter problem?
    > >
    > >Suggestions appreciated.
    > >
    > >thx
    > >andycon
    >
    > Drop the ZZZ to reply
    >
    > Cheers ...

    Hi Andrew,

    Glad to be of help mate.

    I think you may be on to something with your USB2 card statement.

    Let us know how you get on ?

    On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 21:05:34 GMT, "andycon\(news\)"
    <andycon@noneya.com> wrote:

    >Thanks Chris, I will try it with SSID broadcast, but it seems suspicious
    >that it can still pick it up by unplugging and replugging. I would also
    >prefer to operate without broadcasting SSID. I will also try another USB
    >port.
    >Something that springs to mind is that I installed a usb2.0 adapter card and
    >am using that for the usb port. The mobo only supported usb1.
    >I wonder if that is having problems not initializing properly on a reboot. I
    >will poke around and report back.
    >
    >thx
    >Andrew

    Drop the ZZZ to reply

    Cheers ...

    MB is USB 1.1 USB card is 2.0, after reboot I need to uplug and replug
    WUSb54g to connect. Andycon did you ever solve this?

    --
    Jibeho

Wireless Wireless Networking