gba or ds?

I've been out of the video game scene for a while; been mostly in
'lurk' mode.

I've decided that I want to get a portable unit, but am not so sure I
need to go spend the money on the DS when I can pick up a GBA for about
half.

Does that sound crazy to anyone? Any word if GBA titles are still
going to be produced?

Keep in mind that I'll be a casual user who wants to use the DS for a
good distraction to alleviate stress or just waste some time. I'm not
hardcore ;-)

Thanks for your time,

Michael

If money is an issue (and for most of us it is) then I'd suggest
getting the GBA SP. The DS library is pretty slim right now, and the SP
is a really kick ass little unit that will still play GB and GB color
titles.

That said, however, ths DS screen is much better than the SP, big and
well lit (compared to the GBA SP, it is especially easier to see in
daylight). And personally, I feel the larger size of the DS fits my
hands better. It doesn't play GB or GBC games, but it sounds like you
don't own any of those anyway. And even with the small library of the
DS, many of the titles are a good fit for somebody who just wants to
play for short periods of time every once in a while.

Thank you for your honesty.

I'm assuimg that there hasn't been a workaround found that allows the
DS to interface with the GC, correct? I still have one, and even
though it's primary function is to gather dust, I still like to turn it
on every once in a while.

Thanks,

Michael

<michael.gorsuch@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm assuimg that there hasn't been a workaround found that allows the
> DS to interface with the GC, correct? I still have one, and even
> though it's primary function is to gather dust, I still like to turn it
> on every once in a while.

Personally, I don't know of any games that have a really compelling reason
to have a single GBA connected to them.

As for GBA vs DS, think about weather you think you'll eventually want a DS.
Sure a $75 GBA is half the price of a $150 DS, but $75 now for the GBA +
$100 later for the DS (assuming you wait until it drops that much) = $175,
more than just buying a DS now. Of course, it's possible, even probable,
that Nintendo will come out with another version of the DS later.

--
figmentPez

<michael.gorsuch@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Thank you for your honesty.
>
> I'm assuimg that there hasn't been a workaround found that allows the
> DS to interface with the GC, correct? I still have one, and even
> though it's primary function is to gather dust, I still like to turn it
> on every once in a while.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael

Its dependent on the games for the GC and DS. But its only a matter of time
before a new release compatible with both is released.

<michael.gorsuch@gmail.com> a écrit dans le message de
> Thanks for your advice.
>
> Articles like this really encourage me to go with the DS:
>
> http://ds.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=2070
>
> Online gaming on a portable could be VERY cool.

I really like Super Mario Kart Circuit but I can't wait for the DS version
with online races...
Online on DS is more appealing than touch screen : Metroid Prime Hunter,
Animal Crossing DS, YuGi-Oh, bomberman...

I had the same doubts some time ago. Recently I decided to buy some
console and I thought about a handheld (because it's so handy). I was
considering DS or GBA SP (PSP was out of question; I live in Europe and
I didn't want to pay the costs of transport).

I haven't played for a long time, but I've been reading the press and I
know what is going on in the world of PC games. I had to become
familiar with the world of handheld games. I've visited many web pages
and I've read many reviews. And finally I've decided to buy DS.

Why? Well, there are many games for GBA and DS is able to run all of
them. But DS is better than GBA (technically) and there are many games
planned to release on DS in the future (although now there are many
games for GBA and only few for DS). I've found my favourite strategies
(not those *tactical* jRPGs) and one tycoon, so I think that DS is the
future.

I'm going to be casual user as well - I have not enough time (or money)
to play all possible games, all the time. I'm just looking for some fun.

Well I picked up my DS today.

It came w/ Mario 64 and I bought Lego Star Wars and Final Fantasy I &
II to go with it.

So far - I love it. The screen is suprisingly beautiful and it fits
nicely in my hands.

Can't wait to really break this thing in.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

I think it's going to take me some time to get used to the stylus.
It's a completely different paradigm.

I think it's going to take me some time to get used to the stylus.
It's a completely different paradigm.

On 16 Jul 2005 17:27:14 -0700, "Michael Gorsuch"
<michael.gorsuch@gmail.com> wrote:

>Well I picked up my DS today.
>
>It came w/ Mario 64 and I bought Lego Star Wars and Final Fantasy I &
>II to go with it.
>
>So far - I love it. The screen is suprisingly beautiful and it fits
>nicely in my hands.
>
>Can't wait to really break this thing in.
>
>Thanks to everyone for the advice.

get a copy of Kirby's Canvas Curse. You wont be sorry!!! It is an
addicting game!!!

Kevin

>Online gaming on a portable could be VERY cool.

Yes, I agree, it sounds very cool. But even when such future features
are likely to surface, I have learned to avoid buying new hardware
based on games and features that are expected to appear sometime in the
future. Consider the following:

SNES CD-ROM drive
N64 DD drive
Atari Jaguar VR helmet
Atari Jaguar voice modem

These are just the examples that come immediately to mind. Certainly,
not all promises like these have been broken, and I agree that Nintendo
probably will come through with internet support this time. But I still
feel that promises of what will be should not be the primary factor in
hardware purchases.

"Dan Mazurowski" <kingsmedley@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>Online gaming on a portable could be VERY cool.
>
> Yes, I agree, it sounds very cool. But even when such future features
> are likely to surface, I have learned to avoid buying new hardware
> based on games and features that are expected to appear sometime in the
> future. Consider the following:
>
> SNES CD-ROM drive
> N64 DD drive
> Atari Jaguar VR helmet
> Atari Jaguar voice modem
>
> These are just the examples that come immediately to mind. Certainly,
> not all promises like these have been broken, and I agree that Nintendo
> probably will come through with internet support this time. But I still
> feel that promises of what will be should not be the primary factor in
> hardware purchases.

And don't forget (Nintendo!) that the SNES CD Drive became the Playstation!